Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Vidsel (ESPE) and Luleå (ESPA) scenery

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Vidsel (ESPE) and Luleå (ESPA) scenery

Postby colin_geniet » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:38 pm

Here is a custom scenery for Vidsel air base, north Sweden.
https://gitlab.com/colingeniet/ESPE-scenery

The most interesting part is probably the two so-called short runways (800x17m), and the associated network of taxiways and back line parking positions, built from reinforced public roads.
The airport has detailed taxiways and lots of parking positions. Not a lot of objects however, I'll try to add more.

The scenery covers around 200x200km around Vidsel. The other main included airports are Luleå (ESPA), Arvidsjaur (ESNX) and Jokkmokk (ESNJ).
I have done next to no custom work on the latter, but they are generated from the latest X-plane scenery, which is already a lot better than the current Terrasync scenery (no objects though).
I may do some work on Luleå in the future.

Terrain data used is CLC18 and EU DEM v1.1 (https://land.copernicus.eu/)

Known issues:
  • ESPE doesn't fit well in the surrounding terrain (elevation mismatches).
  • There are a few meters of taxiway in the air at the top right end of ESPE. This is due to a technical limitation of Terragear (airport boundaries can not have holes).
  • There are no osm2city buildings or roads

Have fun! Recommended for the Viggen (self-promotion? what? I don't see what you mean).

Some pictures:
Overflying the main runway. Short runway C on the top right.
On final, short runway D.

edit: Added Luleå to the thread title
Last edited by colin_geniet on Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin_geniet

Callsign: condor2,F-ENSC
IRC name: colin
Version: next

Re: Vidsel air base (ESPE) scenery

Postby colin_geniet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:24 pm

Update: I have reworked Luleå airport (ESPA), with updated the taxiways and parkings layout, the addition of taxiway signs, and a lot of parking positions.
colin_geniet

Re: Vidsel (ESPE) and Luleå (ESPA) scenery

Postby colin_geniet » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:28 pm

I've made a good number of updates to this scenery in the last two months.

Firstly the terrain was completely regenerated, with a slightly lower elevation resolution. It reduces the size to around 40% of the original, helping a bit with performance. The new terrain also includes rivers and roads, and all the fancy models from osm2city. Here's Luleå and its airport for instance.

The scenery also now extends further north to include Kiruna (ESNQ), with a custom taxiway layout:

Finally, there is a lot of new objects and details at Vidsel (ESPE), in particular a very fancy tower by Johan:
Image Image
A handful of custom buildings, trees, and a Draken and Viggen on display in the hangar area:
And also taxiway signs and access roads:
Image Image
colin_geniet

Return to Scenery