Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York City

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York City

Postby vnts » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:48 pm

V12 wrote in Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:05 am:BTW, on my system I can't disable SMT :(

You should be able to disable via bios?

Google says Ryzen CPUs, at least when they came out, benefited from turning SMT off for a slight increase in some 3d programse.g. for your R7 3700X [1]. Since you use a major linux distribution like Ubuntu, the scheduler should be pretty good and up-to date by now.

V12 wrote in Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:05 am:I had this problem on i5-2550K on Win 7, on Ubuntu from 14 to latest 20, this problem exists now on R7 3700X on Win 10 and Ubuntu 20.04.

On your previous systems you might have been GPU bound, or maybe didn't know FG/settings as well as you do now if you started somewhat recently..

Focusing on you current system, since you run P3D you have a Windows install too? Try that.

Reproducible test: for max CPU utilisation by threads:
- UFO, Manhattan coordinates 40.783333, -73.966667 (can just copy/paste into location bar on launcher). Measured while scenery is still loading.
- Make sure vsync is off, FPS throttle is off, not GPU bound (utilisation <100%)
- Default lods (Can try with expanded LoD as well, to see why CPU utilisation changed)
- On Windows: Try process explorer (link) > right click fgfs.exe > click properties > click threads.
- On Linux google says you can try ps [2]

My results for UFO on a 4 core i5 (a thread maxing out a core takes up 1/4=25%):
DrawThreadPerContext: link
CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext: link

There are often two high CPU usage threads, and while scenery is loading CPU usage doesn't go below 50%. I took these screens when utilisation was somewhat high. FG has 20 threads, with an extra thread for the second option as expected. The 2nd highest usage thread usually has lower load for the second option probably showing the split into an extra thread. There are 3-4 threads with a noticeable load.

CPU usage for CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext was around 70% of 4 cores in the screens, or 2.8 cores. So with 16 cores you should get at least 2.8+/16=17.5%+. With SMT off (8 cores) it should be at least 35%+.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:03 pm

Performance isn't all that bad on a rather weak CPU and low end Nividia card:

legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby dom_vc10 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:28 am

I finally downloaded it all yesterday. I didn't expect my PC would handle it. Tried in the A320 and A330 as they really stress my PC. I got around 12-15fps on the A320 and a few more frames on the A330 right over new your, so was pleasantly surprised.

Linux Mint 19.3,AMD Phenom II X4 965 (OC to 3.8ghz),16gb ram,GTX 1050 Ti
dom_vc10

Version: nightly

Postby vnts » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:40 am

At least on my system, there's some unnecessary buildings or bug in the scenery causing problems, these should be fixed in time and performance should be back to normal for areas dominated by AC file buildings.
dom_vc10 wrote in Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:28 am:AMD Phenom II X4 965 (OC to 3.8ghz),16gb ram,GTX 1050 Ti

That's a recent generation GPU, with an old gen AMD CPU. Since you are going to be bottlenecked by the CPU mostly, may as well turn GPU settings right up. :mrgreen: Try some excessive AA and try to find things to turn up. You have 16gb of RAM, so you can try turning trees density to ultra, and extending LoD:bare. If buildings or trees cause a CPU bottleneck because of OSG just lower LoD:Rough. Try experimenting with multi-threading CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext. Once you configure/enable weather and environment properly [1], FG should look like this [2] at 1080p.

Since it's a recent gen GPU try overlays with Transparency AA [1] at MSAA or higher.

Speaking of pleasant surprises, as your forum joined says you found FG recently(?), you are probably in for one :mrgreen: .

Kind regards
vnts

Postby dom_vc10 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:51 am

yeah I have the graphics pretty much maxed up just urban shader off. Setting them higher or lower makes no difference to FPS really I found out. I have the LOD set to quite a nice distance (been playing with that) Yesterday I looked and 2 of my 4 cores are running 100% when testing New York and the GPU was around 15% so definitely CPU bound :-)

Yep I have FG installed for a few months now but literally spent a lot of that time just getting it set up and finding out how it all works, I moved from FS9, which I was using from release so it's been a learning curve but now I seem to be ready to start using the sim for flying rather than tweaking and learning lol
dom_vc10

Postby montagdude » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:11 pm

The rest of the scenery is pretty nice, too, lol. :) Though I understand why NYC is generating the most discussion.
montagdude

Postby dom_vc10 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:14 pm

I promise I will explore. Yesterday i downloaded all your custom scenery :-) Big thanks for creating it
I started with New York as I guessed if that doesn't kill my system everything else will work nicely :-)
dom_vc10

Postby montagdude » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:19 pm

No worries, thanks for giving it a try. One thing I like about FG is the ability to explore.
montagdude

Postby lzu164 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:15 pm

Thank you very much for this excellent scenery! While in NYC it tanks the performance, its still flyable. On amd r5 2600X+ amd rx vega 56, I get around 10 fps at central park facing south and 14-30 fps around Manhattan. Other areas stay at 30-60 fps. Still haven't explored all of the scenery, but Philadelphia is very nice also.

And here a screenshot of Manhattan skyline in morning light:
lzu164

Version: 2020.01.01

Postby ryanov » Tue May 17, 2022 3:42 am

Everything looks pretty great, with the exception of grass at the airport. I assume I messed up the install somehow, but can anyone give me a hint as to maybe how? This is KEWR, but I've seen it at KIAD and KBDL as well, so I assume I just have a problem with one texture or whatever it is. I have an OLED screen, if it matters, and run Wayland on Ubuntu (the display is sometimes strange in other ways).

ryanov

Postby shannonbrown » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:27 pm

Is this scenery still available? I visited the GitHub site and do not see the requisite zip files?
shannonbrown

Postby merspieler » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:49 pm

Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby shannonbrown » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:11 am

Great. Thanks for the new link and for the ultra quick reply.
shannonbrown

Previous

Return to Scenery