Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Santiago, Chile & Andes Mountains

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Santiago, Chile & Andes Mountains

Postby Picun_1812 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Hello, I recently downloaded a custom scenario from Argentina, which has apparently drastically modified Santiago de Chile (greatly improving it). However, the Andes mountains has been destroyed, a place I frequent flying and it no longer looks very cool.

Is it possible to repair it preserving the current city of Santiago and the mountain range?

Cheers :) :!:

Picun_1812

Re: Santiago, Chile & Andes Mountains

Postby D-ECHO » Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 am

Good day Picun,
where did you get this scenery from?
Good news is: Yes, it can be "repaired", basically by re-generating it and making sure there are no errors happening in-between. However, therefor one needs the source files used to generate said scenery, thus the question.
D-ECHO

Postby V12 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:03 pm

I worked on SCEL year ago, but I added only shared models, without any terrain modifications.
Check https://github.com/BAWV12/SCEL
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby ludomotico » Sat May 23, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi Picun.

The mountains seem far away from the city, and thry are probably in a different tile. Just identify the tile for the mountains in your custom scenery, and delete it.

The tile must be in Terrain/latitudelongitude-tens/latitudelongitude-units
ludomotico

Version: git

Postby V12 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:18 pm

My SCEL scenery from FL600 :
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Picun_1812 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 pm

I have discovered some of the problem.

I have installed the repository at https://github.com/bartacruz/scenery-cuyo which adds improvements to the terrain in the pampa of Argentina. These changes also add much more realistic buildings and constructions for Chile, including Santiago, which improves a lot (Terrain / w080s40). However, these changes in the terrain destroy the geography of the mountains and valleys of Chile.

Through UFO, I recognized every damaged tile in the mountains and replaced it with those from https://cdn.merspieler.tk/, managing to repair it.

I left the Santiago tiles made by bartacruz, because it improves a lot (even the terrain repairs SCEL runway 17R, which was damaged), and I kept the changes made by V12 to SCEL.

Now there is a mix of repositories that leaves me quite satisfied, however there are still areas of the surrounding mountains and valleys damaged or looking strange.

SCEL airport, with more buildings and runway 17R without errors. Mix items added by V12 and the Bartacruz stage

The city of Santiago with more buildings and precision. with the scenery of bartacruz.

Aerial view. the city and the green land is what is obtained from the bartacruz scenario. The rest is the merspieler setting or the default terrain, which in the mountains is much more accurate, but not so the city.
Picun_1812

Postby Picun_1812 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:57 pm

I hope that information is useful. :)
Picun_1812

Postby Picun_1812 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:37 pm

I have finally reorganized the terrain tiles at https://github.com/bartacruz/scenery-cuyo, for Santiago de Chile. Of these, I only kept some of the city, while the surrounding mountains correspond to the default scenery, which has a very accurate geography.

Also, consider adding the V12 SCEL airport objects:

https://github.com/BAWV12/SCEL

I have uploaded to Github my scenario repository that has these changes and achieves greater realism of the SCEL airport and the city. I apologize for the poor order of the Github repository .... it's the first thing I do :)

https://github.com/Picun1812/Santiago-Andes-Mountains

I humbly hope this is a small contribution to Flightgear
Picun_1812

Postby f-ojac » Wed May 27, 2020 7:19 am

For the airport objects, the best solution is to submit them to Terrasync so anyone can have them easily (use scenery.flighgear.org). If we set yp a github for all airports in the world it's going to get complicated.
Hosting terrasync, World Scenery, TGWeb on my own private server. Click here to donate and help to make the service last.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby barta » Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 am

Hi All,
I have created the scenery, and it's true that some of the mountains are badly shaped.
The elevation data is corrupted.
I'll try to re-generate them with new data and let you know.

By the way, the scenery is generated with openstreetmap landuse data, so if you want to improve the area, just edit it there and it will be reflected in future runs.

Regarding the airport, if you have a better version that I can insert into my apt.dat, let me know.

Cheers,
Barta
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
- Leonardo da Vinci
barta

Postby D-ECHO » Sun May 31, 2020 5:42 am

Hi barta,

really nice work on the scenery!

As the airport layout looks to be pre-850, I'd guess the X-Plane gateway should probably have a newer version.

Regards
D-ECHO

Postby barta » Sun May 31, 2020 5:49 am

Thanks!
Yeah, I've refined the process since that build, and updated most of the airports with the latest from the X-Plane scenery gateway.

Right now, i'm struggling with an annoying bug from ogr-decode (see a recent post of mine in the forum!), but the recent builds looks really nice.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
- Leonardo da Vinci
barta

Postby D-ECHO » Sun May 31, 2020 5:51 am

Looking forward to it! :)

Unfortunately, I have never encountered that ogr-decode issue and have no idea about it
D-ECHO

Postby Picun_1812 » Sun May 31, 2020 5:53 pm

Thank you all for the development work. I would really love to know how to use the necessary tools to generate more realistic terrain and airports, especially in South America, which is very underdeveloped. However, even though I have tried several times, Blender and other tools are beyond my knowledge for now.

I hope to continue learning, greetings :)
Picun_1812

Postby barta » Sun May 31, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi Picun
You can improve a lot using Openstreetmap. Some of the sceneries (mine included) are built using data from there. Even the official scenery pulls data from there (roads for instance)
Editing is really easy, no need to be a 3d -guru!
Most important things are buildings and landuse.

Regards,
Barta
- Leonardo da Vinci
barta

Next

Return to Scenery