Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and DC

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and DC

Postby montagdude » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:20 am

Hello!

The purpose of this thread is to announce my latest scenery project, which covers Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia in the US. Some small chunks of West Virginia and Kentucky are included too just because the western border of Virginia is not straight. :D The data sources used were:

To install it, go to the Releases page here and download Buildings.zip, Objects.zip, Pylons.zip, Roads.zip, Terrain.zip, and FGData.zip. You will need to unzip each of these and point FlightGear to them, which is explained in the README. If you are not interested in using the osm2city portions, you can just download Terrain.zip and FGData.zip. The terrain includes the major roads and highways.

https://github.com/montagdude/FGScenery-VA_MD_DE

Here are some screenshots and a video for your enjoyment.

Laurel Bed Lake, outside of Lebanon, VA

Ocean City, MD

Richmond, VA

Richmond, VA

Washington, DC with KDCA in the distance

Delaware shore

A flight from KSHD to KRIC in the F-14

Let me know what you think or if you have any problems downloading or installing it!
montagdude

Re: Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and DC

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Hi,
The scenery is very good - thank you!

Just a few minor things, mostly in the osm2city work:

The Pentagon osm2city is a little weird, as there are buildings on top of buildings.

There is also something a little odd between the Pentagon / KDCA:

On the main bridge immediately north of KDCA, there is an error in the osm2city roads:

that triangle thing on the left.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby montagdude » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Thanks for checking it out, and I'm glad you like it. I will take a look at that artifact and try to figure out what's going on.

Regarding osm2city issues: I've asked about those (buildings on top of buildings, broken roads, and long bridges not being generated) and basically learned that there is nothing I can do about it. I think we have to live with it for now, unless someone knows a better way.
montagdude

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:14 pm

It's possible (but not easy) to open the models in blender using the ac3d exporter, and remove the unwanted buildings, and fix artifacts in the road models.

However, fixing the scripts is probably better :)

Nice work overall, it really improves the scenery in that region! I hope your materials / textures could also be pushed to fgdata?
legoboyvdlp

Postby montagdude » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:27 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:14 pm:It's possible (but not easy) to open the models in blender using the ac3d exporter, and remove the unwanted buildings, and fix artifacts in the road models.

However, fixing the scripts is probably better :)
I was told that the buildings on top of buildings are because certain complex buildings are generated by stacking simpler ones. However, since they use different textures, they cause z-fighting, which is an eyesore. No matter what I try, I always end up with roads that break up frequently, which is why I decided to bake the largest three classes of roads into the terrain. I'm still not sure what the deal is with the longer bridges (for example, the Annapolis Bay Bridge and some bridges near Norfolk) not being generated. I was told that it could be because the endpoints are in water, so osm2city removes them because it thinks they would look wrong. I tried to find where this happens in the code to simply disable it, but I wasn't successful. If someone is good at Blender, those could be added back in manually, though.

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:14 pm:Nice work overall, it really improves the scenery in that region! I hope your materials / textures could also be pushed to fgdata?

If you think they're good enough, I would be willing to try. I don't know if my town relief-light map is good enough. I tried my best, but I've never done one before. I'm pretty happy with the drycrop and irrcrop textures, but I'm not sure if there would be pushback because they are more prone to cause tiling than the default ones. However, the default ones don't look anything like the actual farmland in the eastern US.
montagdude

Postby msalama » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:54 pm

Looks absolutely stunning, downloading now. Thank you!
msalama

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:30 pm

montagdude wrote in Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:27 pm:If you think they're good enough, I would be willing to try. I don't know if my town relief-light map is good enough. I tried my best, but I've never done one before. I'm pretty happy with the drycrop and irrcrop textures, but I'm not sure if there would be pushback because they are more prone to cause tiling than the default ones. However, the default ones don't look anything like the actual farmland in the eastern US.

Well... I think this is markedly better, even if its partly to do with the improved landclasses :)

Looking good, nice work..

I think airport "MD21" is missing. I noticed a "hole" in the scenery where it should be as I flew over.
legoboyvdlp

Postby montagdude » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:08 am

I'm glad it still looks good from cruising altitude. I do most of my flying below 10,000 ft. Just to be clear, is the first picture at the edge of the custom terrain? By the way, if you do find areas where the tiling effect is too obvious, you can try turning on the agriculture shader.

Regarding the missing airport, I did notice at least one of those. Maybe it was the same one. I didn't know how to fix it, though. I generated them with genapts850 using apt.dat from FlightGear-data. Does this mean that the airport is missing in apt.dat?
montagdude

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:07 am

Yes; that's correct - the boundary shows quite obviously the difference in quality!

Well, I noticed that sometimes airports would not be copied from the folder. Alternatively, if you ran all the airports as a batch, it seems to miss some of them.

Manually generating the airport (ie. passing the exact ICAO code to TerraGear) and ensuring that it has been indeed copied properly seems to work.
legoboyvdlp

Postby montagdude » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:05 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:07 am:Yes; that's correct - the boundary shows quite obviously the difference in quality!

Well, I noticed that sometimes airports would not be copied from the folder. Alternatively, if you ran all the airports as a batch, it seems to miss some of them.

Manually generating the airport (ie. passing the exact ICAO code to TerraGear) and ensuring that it has been indeed copied properly seems to work.

Okay, well that seems easy enough, even if I have to regenerate the terrain afterwards (because that doesn't take nearly as long as the osm2city stuff).

Speaking of which, maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but: if I re-run tg-construct after modifying something like the airports or the landcover shapefiles, but without re-running the elevation processing scripts (gdalchop and terrafit), will the terrain come out with exactly the same elevation? The SRTM-3 work directory would not be touched in this scenario. The reason I ask is because it would be a pain to have to rerun osm2city again after fixing something in the terrain. From my experience doing this before, it didn't seem like it made a big difference, but I wasn't sure if there were actually no differences or just small differences.
montagdude

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:26 pm

I think so but am not honestly certain, sorry.
legoboyvdlp

Postby montagdude » Fri May 01, 2020 1:56 am

No problem. I was actually asking anybody who might know, not you specifically, but it would probably be better for me to ask in the osm2city thread.
montagdude

Postby montagdude » Fri May 01, 2020 11:49 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:06 pm:Hi,
There is also something a little odd between the Pentagon / KDCA:

I checked it out, and that odd thing is some weird osm2city sliver of a road. I don't know why it's there, because nothing like that is visible in the map itself. I will report it in the other thread when I get the chance.
montagdude

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:59 pm

Are terrasync objects included in this, by the way?

Will maybe post some screenshots later :)
legoboyvdlp

Postby montagdude » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:13 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:59 pm:Are terrasync objects included in this, by the way?

Will maybe post some screenshots later :)

No, just osm2city.
montagdude

Return to Scenery