Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

terminal building LIPZ Venezia

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

terminal building LIPZ Venezia

Postby bioscz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:21 am

hi ,
use MAC OS 10.6.8 I3 and flightgear 2.6 , I've scenery downloaded e010n40 , but while in others airports (LFMN, LEBL) there are many nice terminals with building , in Venice Marco Polo (LIPZ) there is'nt nothing .
please someone can help me where can I find and download terminal building and other for LIPZ or other building and objects for FG 2.6 ? and how I can do for to add it to scenery ? (e010n40)
regards
bioscz

Re: terminal building LIPZ Venezia

Postby Johan G » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:23 am

bioscz wrote in Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:21 am:[...] in Venice Marco Polo (LIPZ) there [are no buildings].
[...]
how I can do for to add it to scenery ?

Looking at the map of the scenery website,* there are indeed no buildings there, though it does look like there is at least a rudimentary airport there.**

A quick way to populate the airports is to place generic buildings. This is not all that complicated. When I have done this in the past it would rarely take more than a week or two before the buildings and other objects would appear in the TerraSync scenery that all would see.

Some good starting points to get involved with this:

Later on more accurate buildings can be modeled after reference photos and open street map footprints, and replace the generic buildings.
___
* For some reason the main way I used to see this is not available, so one have to work around that by looking up a single object, then look for its position on the map, then zoom out and pan to Tanzania and on individual airports.
** From what I can see from a cursory search using the navaid tab of mpmap02.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby bioscz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:07 pm

thank for reply ,
LIPZ have more 11.500.000 passengers in the year , then it's not rudimentary airport , much more important than LFMN and other ,
I look for a terminal ready for LIPZ .
bioscz

Postby ludomotico » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Also, consider checking if the area is available in osm2city: https://cdn.merspieler.tk/osm2city/current/e010n40/

The building process was stopped precisely when it was building northern Italy, but you might be lucky and get buildings for LIPZ. If they are present, the textures are going to be like apartment buildings, but at least the general shape of the buildings should be accurate.

LIPZ have more 11.500.000 passengers in the year , then it's not rudimentary airport , much more important than LFMN and other ,

Large airports are MUCH more difficult to model than small airports. Since we are volunteers working on this during our spare time, modeling large airports is not very gratifying. In Spain, as an example, you'll find modeled nearly all tiny and medium size airports, and only a couple or large airports.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Johan G » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:44 pm

Johan G wrote in Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:23 am:[...] it does look like there is at least a rudimentary airport there. [...]

bioscz wrote in Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:07 pm:[...] LIPZ have more 11.500.000 passengers in the year , then it's not rudimentary airport [...]

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant that while there are no buildings, the runways, taxiways and aprons of the airport are at least rudimentary modeled.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby bioscz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:39 pm

ludomotico wrote in Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:17 pm:Also, consider checking if the area is available in osm2city: https://cdn.merspieler.tk/osm2city/current/e010n40/

The building process was stopped precisely when it was building northern Italy, but you might be lucky and get buildings for LIPZ. If they are present, the textures are going to be like apartment buildings, but at least the general shape of the buildings should be accurate.

Large airports are MUCH more difficult to model than small airports. Since we are volunteers working on this during our spare time, modeling large airports is not very gratifying. In Spain, as an example, you'll find modeled nearly all tiny and medium size airports, and only a couple or large airports.

I show but there is'nt that area , thanks for your good reply
bioscz

Postby bioscz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Johan G wrote in Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:44 pm:
Johan G wrote in Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:23 am:[...] it does look like there is at least a rudimentary airport there. [...]

bioscz wrote in Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:07 pm:[...] LIPZ have more 11.500.000 passengers in the year , then it's not rudimentary airport [...]

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant that while there are no buildings, the runways, taxiways and aprons of the airport are at least rudimentary modeled.

no problem Johan G . thank u for all
bioscz

Postby bioscz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:23 pm

someone can tell me if is possible to charge LIPZ scenery of X plane on FG 2.6 ??
bioscz

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:19 pm

bioscz wrote in Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:23 pm:someone can tell me if is possible to charge LIPZ scenery of X plane on FG 2.6 ??

Flightgear v2.6 is very old... it was released Feb 2012 and is now long past EoL (End of Life) with little to no support...

perhaps you meant another newer version of FG? if so, please use the full version number...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby bioscz » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:24 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:19 pm:
bioscz wrote in Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:23 pm:someone can tell me if is possible to charge LIPZ scenery of X plane on FG 2.6 ??

Flightgear v2.6 is very old... it was released Feb 2012 and is now long past EoL (End of Life) with little to no support...

perhaps you meant another newer version of FG? if so, please use the full version number...

thank u for reply
I've a old Imac 11,3 Intel i3 MAC OSX 10.6.8 RAM DDR3 1333MHZ 4GB RAM (2x2GB) ATI Radeon 5670 , then the FG 2.6 is the only compromise that works by this hardware , i've average frame rate 9
I would like to use newer version but it's very likely not work .
bioscz

Postby mk2 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:20 pm

Hello.

You can probably download the scenery square (eq02r1-whatever.zip), and then transfer building files from, for example, /Buildings/Airports/ folder into your "game root"/data/Buildings/Airports folder. If 2.6 worked similarly enough in the sense that it loaded all files from a folder, then it might work for you.

Please note that I assume MAC file system for the game works the same way as PC. It should, but I have no experience with games on mac.
If nothing else works, I can probably model the airport buildings.

RAM becomes slow with time. 4GB of ram should come very cheap, so I suggest you replace it if you've had that 2x2 pair for a long time. If that's even an option.
Out of curiosity, how fast is your CPU? i3, but how many GHz/MHz?
mk2

Postby ludomotico » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:47 pm

bioscz wrote in Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:24 pm:the FG 2.6 is the only compromise that works by this hardware , i've average frame rate 9

Newer versions include new features, but often also better performance for the old features.

The feature that needs more RAM and CPU is terrain. If you are not using terrasync and you are downloading the old terrain anyway from the web, installing the last version of FlightGear is worth trying. Keep a copy of version 2.6 just in case.

The default C172P has significantly improved since version 2.6 and it may need a better machine. You can try another aircraft. Look for an aircraft with a size below about 20MB, they are unlikely to use the new features.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby bioscz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:41 am

mk2 wrote in Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:20 pm:Hello.

You can probably download the scenery square (eq02r1-whatever.zip), and then transfer building files from, for example, /Buildings/Airports/ folder into your "game root"/data/Buildings/Airports folder. If 2.6 worked similarly enough in the sense that it loaded all files from a folder, then it might work for you.

Please note that I assume MAC file system for the game works the same way as PC. It should, but I have no experience with games on mac.
If nothing else works, I can probably model the airport buildings.

RAM becomes slow with time. 4GB of ram should come very cheap, so I suggest you replace it if you've had that 2x2 pair for a long time. If that's even an option.
Out of curiosity, how fast is your CPU? i3, but how many GHz/MHz?

thank u for reply,
please can you tell me where I can found file "eq02r1-whatever.zip" ?
bioscz

Postby bioscz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:46 am

ludomotico wrote in Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:47 pm:
bioscz wrote in Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:24 pm:the FG 2.6 is the only compromise that works by this hardware , i've average frame rate 9

Newer versions include new features, but often also better performance for the old features.

The feature that needs more RAM and CPU is terrain. If you are not using terrasync and you are downloading the old terrain anyway from the web, installing the last version of FlightGear is worth trying. Keep a copy of version 2.6 just in case.

The default C172P has significantly improved since version 2.6 and it may need a better machine. You can try another aircraft. Look for an aircraft with a size below about 20MB, they are unlikely to use the new features.

thank for reply
I will try but I fear in case of problems of not being able to recover the current resources
bioscz

Postby mk2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:30 pm

bioscz wrote in Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:41 am:please can you tell me where I can found file "eq02r1-whatever.zip" ?

You should first try the new version of the game like it was said before, it will probably work.

However, to try the strange solution you will need the scenery file.
You can download it from -
This page: http://ns334561.ip-5-196-65.eu/~fgscene ... 2.0.1.html
Which you can reach by hitting the 2.0.1. HD link under on this site: https://www.flightgear.org/download/scenery/

The 1.0.1. SD link is broken, so you have to use the HD files.
On the world map, you click the square which has LIPZ Venezia, and download the whole square. It may be a few GB large.
You can look on the map at https://scenery.flightgear.org/map/ to see what models are already placed at the airport, so you can find the buildings in the zip.
After that you copy the buildings to the old game like I said before.

Solo per clarificare - quando dicevo "whatever", significa "qualsiasi letteri scritti." Non sara nel nome della zip.

Tell us if any of this worked. It might help others. :)

P.S. For any developers reading this later, the airports around Venezia really seem a little... empty on the map.
mk2

Next

Return to Scenery