Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Building auto-generation

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Building auto-generation

Postby statto » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 pm

I know it's possible with OSM, but I'm looking for any code, preferably Python, which can take an OSM file and turn it either into a Sketchup file or an .ac file. I know a script to do just this existed a long time ago, may have been Ruby if not Python?

I'd like to automatically generate buildings which can then be added to the scenery model database.

Thanks in advance!
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Re: Building auto-generation

Postby Thorsten » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:38 am

Um... OSM2City does that already... though after some initial experiences, the distribution mode of OSM structures is not supposed to be via terrasync - takes too much space.
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:23 am

statto :
Do You want
1) generate OSM objects realtime ('on-the-fly') from mapsource
2) or save offline converted OSM data to scenery database ?

If 2), it is not possible, as Thorsten said. It is too much gigabytes of informations.
1) should be possible, but You will need C++ or other tools for development fast running executable application. All interpreters are too slow.

I prefer third way - use random buildings with high density, in this case You can obtain reasonable dense city sceneries, but not realistic. This is example :

Wellington

Auckland

or Old Quito (SEQU) :

... compared with reality (more than 10 years old) :

If I remember correctly, density is in the property tree sim/rendering/building-density, I'm using value 3, this is persistent value, not needed set it on all FG start.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby statto » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:23 pm

Maybe things have moved past me - I'm really looking for code which will let me automatically generate say the Auckland terminal building in .ac format, complete with generic textures, and then be able to modify it using either Blender or (somehow) Sketchup. I'm not looking to generate cities, I'm really looking for two things:
a) stand-alone software which can take a single OSM building footprint and turn it into an .ac file so it can be edited and then uploaded to the model database
b) write code which lets you automatically generate textured hangars in .ac with a given height and width.

Also moderately interested in generating stand-alone bridge models.

There used to be code I had somewhere which could take a building footprint and extrude it, but I can't find it anymore. Also, I'm willing to do some of the work myself, but I know it's been done already and want to recreate as little as possible. I really don't like osm2city as osm doesn't quite have the building footprint data, it takes up a lot of space, and I think random building placement over real roadways does the same job. Hope that helps.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby Necolatis » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:50 pm

Maybe this is what your looking for:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Project3000
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2019.1.2