Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Importing fs10 models/objects

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Importing fs10 models/objects

Postby cj75s » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi Guys,
Don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this so sorry if not but:

I designed a few wee objects, buildings etc, for my local airport in fs10. Can I import these objects, some all are in .bgl format, into Flightgear. I made the objects using sketchup quite a few years ago and now as I have become older, I really don't think I could start from scratch again. However maybe it could be easier.
Are there any easy programs out there??
Also I really would love to import the SAR S92 chopper model. Is this possibl;e? Or is there one already made for Flightgear?

I am running both windows 10 on an HP Pavilion and dual booting with Xubuntu 18 plus my main frame is a quad core Ithink 3.6Ghz processor and 4 gig ram card and 4gb ram plus the latest is it 3.2 of flightgear., which is where I run FlightGear. Is there an easy to use windows program? or a slightly more challenging Ubuntu Linux one.

Thanks in advance.
cj75s

Re: Importing fs10 models/objects

Postby pb321 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:27 am

You might give Model Converter X a try to convert your bgl models to FlightGear .ac models: https://www.scenerydesign.org/modelconverterx/
The following thread describes an issue or two with the program and offers solutions: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threa ... ms.429711/
If you still have sketch up files, you can get the Sketchup to ac converter and export the files in the ac format: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Modeling_-_SketchUp
Get the latest version of FlightGear here: https://www.flightgear.org
There should be a new release within the next week or so. Version 3.2 is actually quite old, unless you mean 2018.3.2.
pb321

Version: 2019.2.1

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:37 am

For models which you originally created yourself, there is no issue - however with the Helicopter, it's not clear to me whether that is also your own work. If it is not, you need to check license - what you do for your own needs is of course your own business, but as soon as you offer it for download or submit it to the FG repository, it needs to be under a compatible license.
Thorsten

Postby cj75s » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Thank you both. The models are all mine so there is no problem there. I did build the terminal building using sketchup, quite some time ago now. I don't think I have it saved as a sketchup model anywhere so will give model converter a go.

If I am successful I shall attempt to upload it for downloading etc.

thanks for the advice.
cj75s

Postby cj75s » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:55 pm

hI gUYS

ok I have imported my ex fs10 model of the Sumburgh Hotel via ModelconvertX into flightgear. it looked good in mcX but when I placed it in FG it was on its side so I rolled it over and headed it correctly and savewd it correctly, however after restarting FG it was still showing as on its side. I corrected the last few digits in the ObjectsShare line to read -0.0 instead of -- 90.0 but this has no effect. any ideas are welcome??
its my own model made in sketchup years ago. maybe its too old for the new earth in fg? still works in fs 10 though. but fs10 is too easy, not as realistic flying as FG. I would like this placed as its part of the visual approach to 15, along with the farm house, almost in line with the final approach.
really look forward to hearing from someone.
cj75s

Postby cj75s » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:31 pm

fixed it. Just fiddled around and thought --90 maybe 270.00 and it worked.
Hope this helps others.
cj75s

Postby dvanmosselbeen » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:33 pm

cj75s wrote in Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:55 pm:hI gUYS

ok I have imported my ex fs10 model of the Sumburgh Hotel via ModelconvertX into flightgear. it looked good in mcX but when I placed it in FG it was on its side so I rolled it over and headed it correctly and savewd it correctly, however after restarting FG it was still showing as on its side. I corrected the last few digits in the ObjectsShare line to read -0.0 instead of -- 90.0 but this has no effect. any ideas are welcome??
its my own model made in sketchup years ago. maybe its too old for the new earth in fg? still works in fs 10 though. but fs10 is too easy, not as realistic flying as FG. I would like this placed as its part of the visual approach to 15, along with the farm house, almost in line with the final approach.
really look forward to hearing from someone.

If i understand it correctly, the exporter exported the object with a wrong axis.
What you try to do, by modifying the stg file is adjusting the rotation of the object. Although pitch or roll could fix it but that shouldn't be done.
I guess you should look in the settings of that exporter and see if you can't change some axis values.
An option could be to to import these exported ac object to examine it.
To try to determine where the glitch happen, but i'm pretty sure the exporter used some other, wrong axis value for FlightGear.

Good luck :)
Proud to work on Belgian sceneries: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen and the Rans S-6S aircraft: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen/Rans-S-6S
dvanmosselbeen

Callsign: B-ITCH
IRC name: dvanmosselbeen
Version: git

Postby cj75s » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:38 pm

Edit to above:
the actualline in the FG scenery addon folder is

OBJECT_SHARED Scenery/Models/Airport/sumbhot.AC -1.28998267 59.86910091 2.4112 48.0 360.0 90.0

The last 2 values were originally "0.0 --90.0"

as you can see its fixed. The 360 value is heading, though why it took that face as headinf I do not know. I plussed the -- value and hey presto. It worked, don't know why. Can someone explain this in easy terms?
cj75s

Postby cj75s » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for that dvanmosselbeen.
Its just the difference between FS10 and FG I guess. Will try some other of my objects and see how they go and will post results here.
thankyou.
cj75s

Postby cj75s » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:51 pm

In my OBJECT-SHARED LINE ABOVE;
anyone know what the 4th from last figure is? i guess the first 2 are long/lat and third is alt in meters? I now know that the fith is orientation and sixth is position as on the flat. So I know now the FGS10 world in -180 degrees to the fg world. Wow. How on earth did that come about. was it intentional?
cj75s

Postby dvanmosselbeen » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:44 pm

cj75s wrote in Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:51 pm:In my OBJECT-SHARED LINE ABOVE;
anyone know what the 4th from last figure is? i guess the first 2 are long/lat and third is alt in meters? I now know that the fith is orientation and sixth is position as on the flat. So I know now the FGS10 world in -180 degrees to the fg world. Wow. How on earth did that come about. was it intentional?

The 4 the element should be the heading. See this page for more information: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Add_sh ... s_manually
So you have fixed your issue by adjusting the pitch or roll. I rarely use pitch and roll information in the stg file.
This is also optional and not required at all to be present in the stg file.
Pitch and roll is mainly used on objects that really need that, and that's probably to correct some glitches on long buildings that will sunk partially on the long end.
So the exporter exported the objects on the wrong axis and you should try to correct this and try to avoid cheating in the stg with pitch or roll.
(Although, this cheating could be also a last resort if you don't get your issue fixed and don't care your scenery doesn't made the TerraSync server)
Proud to work on Belgian sceneries: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen and the Rans S-6S aircraft: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen/Rans-S-6S
dvanmosselbeen

Callsign: B-ITCH
IRC name: dvanmosselbeen
Version: git

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:38 pm

cj75s wrote in Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:38 pm:The last 2 values were originally "0.0 --90.0"

that double negative sign looks to certainly be a problem...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby cj75s » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Yes it is aproblem.
Perhaps because the object files are a .bgl being converted to .ac. I have some original .mdl files so I will try to convert them.

Another thing is how do I point the Textures to the object or visa versa. in FS10 the bgl file knew where the textures were. the object just comes out as a black mottled colour although I do see that the glass windows are fantastic.
cj75s

Postby pb321 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:27 am

Perhaps the last topic in this wiki would help with the black mottled color: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Textures_%26_Texture_Maps_in_SketchUp. I'm not sure, though.
pb321

Version: 2019.2.1

Return to Scenery