Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Taxi Lines - support extended

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Taxi Lines - support extended

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi!
As already discussed here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35005&p=340231& taxi lines can now be more colorful. With a bit of editing in terragear's linearFeature code, we now can have this in FG as well:
It requires changes in fgdata as well as in the genapts850 used to generate the scenery. What is the best way to get these changes into the official repository?
Regards!
D-ECHO :)
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Re: Taxi Lines - support extended

Postby miguel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:00 pm

I like it
miguel

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Hi,
The best way is probably to fork the repositories and make a merge request, I have done that successfully. It helps to notify the mailing list of the merge requests so it doesn't get missed :)

Notice it may take hours to fork the repositories particularly FGDATA owing to sourceforge's servers being rather slow and bad.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 pm

they shouldn't be "slow and bad"... they moved to a whole new data center last year or the year before...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby D-ECHO » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks! Merge requests for fgdata and terragear have been created!
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:18 am

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 pm:they shouldn't be "slow and bad"... they moved to a whole new data center last year or the year before...

Looks like they wasted their money as pulling still takes about five minutes, cloning FGDATA takes about two to three hours.

FlightGear and singer only take about ten seconds to pull. Maybe it's just the number of files!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby abassign » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:26 pm

Finally I can't wait to have them active! A note, the problem of detachment with respect to the flooring wire has been evaluated? Otherwise you run the risk of taxiing on the ground with the plane over a spider web.
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:09 pm

@lego: yeah, fgdata is huge... really really huge... one might be able to clone with "--depth=1" and get it faster...

and if you think that's slow, you should try to rsync the raw repos... i had to go to the largest block size my rsync will handle as well as turning on compression... even then, it took my script 5 attempts to get fgdata fully rsynced today... granted, i've not done any updates in a week or so so there's been a lot of new stuff added... i just shrug it off and keep on going...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dvanmosselbeen » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:24 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:18 am:
wkitty42 wrote in Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 pm:they shouldn't be "slow and bad"... they moved to a whole new data center last year or the year before...

Looks like they wasted their money as pulling still takes about five minutes, cloning FGDATA takes about two to three hours.

FlightGear and singer only take about ten seconds to pull. Maybe it's just the number of files!

+1

Even 20 years back, with that stupid 1 euro per hour connection, would have way faster.

I'm wondering what (bad) infrastructure Sourceforge have !
(Got that same issue with other projects stored on SourceForge... It feels like Sourceforge is unable to be current with their hardware and internet line. Long life these old T1 and co ...)
Proud to work on Belgian sceneries: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen and the Rans S-6S aircraft: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen/Rans-S-6S
dvanmosselbeen

Callsign: B-ITCH
IRC name: dvanmosselbeen
Version: git

Postby Torsten » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:42 pm

There is a mirror at gitlab for our flightgear projects. Fgdata is here: https://gitlab.com/flightgear/fgdata
Try adding this as a git remote and pull from there.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline

Return to Scenery