Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Australian scenery project updates

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Australian scenery project updates

Postby frtps » Sun May 17, 2020 12:58 am

So here is a quick update on progress. A few people have been flying around the test Queensland scenery and reporting issues. Fixed so far (but not in generated scenery yet):

* Water body and river extraction was failing for some closed OSM ways
    * Incorrect rendering of outback areas as crop and non-native pasture
    * Non-native wooded areas properly detected now

Other progress:
    * Flikr photographer 123_456 kindly released photo used for cliff textures as CC0
    * New ALS effect for cliffs including overlay and normal mapping (not yet released, relies on simgear patch)

Plans:
    * Base airports off the latest X-plane information automatically downloaded via the API
    * Improve outback textures
    * Generate all of Australia

Problems:
One thorny problem is the occasional appearance of white areas or flickering areas in the terrain. I suspect two areas are overlaid and sometimes none, sometimes one and sometimes the other are rendered. This is going to be tough to track down, I'm guessing that during extraction and overlay in Grass shapefiles are produced that contain multiple features with the same landclass at the same spot, and Terragear preserves this.

Another problem is the failure of the cliff routines to cope with closely-spaced cliffs gracefully, occasionally leaving pointy terrain. Fortunately there are not many of these areas.

To finish off here is a shot from 33,000ft above Byron Bay.

Note how the vegetation follows the course of rivers. The source vegetation data is provided as 100x100m (or was it 10x10, can't remember) pixels and then smoothed in Grass, seems to work out OK.
frtps

Postby Figaro » Sun May 17, 2020 1:23 am

frtps wrote in Sun May 17, 2020 12:58 am:Problems:
...flickering areas in the terrain. I suspect two areas are overlaid and sometimes none, sometimes one and sometimes the other are rendered. This is going to be tough to track down, I'm guessing that during extraction and overlay in Grass shapefiles are produced that contain multiple features with the same landclass at the same spot, and Terragear preserves this...

I noticed this on one of the islands in Moreton Bay - however assumed it was just conflicting with other scenery, or potentially with being below sea level, wasn't sure. Should have reported it too you.

-S
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby frtps » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:04 pm

So, generating all of Australia began last week. Shapefiles are being generated west -> east going from south -> north. Currently processing 36S118E.

Meanwhile, 1x1 degree test areas have been generated for each state to make sure that the configuration for each state was correct. These areas are available for those of you who are interested while we wait for the full run to finish. Note that these samples all use the latest airport info from the xplane gateway. The airport data (Australia only) used are available here, this file should be placed in the NavData/apt directory at the top level of the new scenery (ie NavData directory is in the 'output' directory in the supplied scenery) to make sure FlightGear uses the same data as used to generate the airports.

• Victoria: Great Ocean Road. Don't expect anything spectacular...
  • South Australia: Adelaide area. Somewhat underwhelming as there is no detailed land use information available for the Adelaide metropolitan area.
  • Northern Territory: Darwin area
  • Western Australia: Bunbury area
Last edited by frtps on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frtps

Postby radi » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:38 pm

You sure about the Northern Territory link? From the naming scheme I'd suspect it should be NT.tgz instead of SA.tgz, but I haven't checked.
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Postby frtps » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:51 pm

Thanks, fixed now.
frtps

Previous

Return to Scenery