Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Australian scenery project updates

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Australian scenery project updates

Postby F-PTCZ » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:32 am

Search with "Compositor" maybe...
F-PTCZ

Callsign: F-PTCZ
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby agathosdaimon » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:06 pm

sorry this doesnt bring up any helpful results - there is apost from someone in a Photoscenery thread and they have a picture which shows exactly the same issue i have but no one gives any advice on how to fix it - just arguments about whether compositor is enabled or not, and something about 16k and 32k scenery - but i honestly dont know what hey are talking about and whether it is even anything that i can alter.

sorry but if you know the solution can you please let me know, otherwise it is just best that i do not use the ASP stuff
agathosdaimon

Postby merspieler » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:10 pm

yeah, photoscenery is the wrong corner....

Unfortunately, I'm of little help as my install is very messed up so any issues could be from a multitude of issues.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby agathosdaimon » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:13 am

oh bother, - i hope someone else then here can explain the black ground textures around airports issue that comes up with the ASP stuff, for now i will just stick with the stock materials, which i am also happy with
agathosdaimon

Postby montagdude » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:48 am

Not sure it has anything to do with the compositor. It may have to do with changes to the default textures. If the Australian scenery came with a custom materials.xml (or region-specific one), it might be referencing a texture that no longer exists in fgdata. Try diffing it against the default one and see if the airport grass texture is different.
montagdude

Postby agathosdaimon » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:13 am

well thats what i found - if i use the custom materials.xml for this scenery then the blakc textures are there, whereas if i retain the default one they are gone - but that then makes all the other australian sceerny not work right,
agathosdaimon

Postby montagdude » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:36 am

So you just need to find the part of the custom xml that is pointing to an incorrect texture and change it to the correct one that you find in Materials/regions/global.xml. Probably something like Terrain/airport_grass2.png. It may appear more than once in the file.
montagdude

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:34 am

oh cool - thanks for that advice - i will look at that when i have a chance next and if i need help will let you kow - how would i know what the right texture would be? this would just be a case of correcting the file path in the xml then yes? i am not experience iwth xmls - can i just change it with a text editor?
agathosdaimon

Postby merspieler » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:32 pm

you might want to look at the log file from flightgear. if there are missing textures, there will be a warning-> you can then search for that file in the xml.
yes, you can edit it with a text editor
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby montagdude » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:31 pm

agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:34 am:oh cool - thanks for that advice - i will look at that when i have a chance next and if i need help will let you kow - how would i know what the right texture would be? this would just be a case of correcting the file path in the xml then yes? i am not experience iwth xmls - can i just change it with a text editor?

Yes, you can edit the file with a text editor. The Australian scenery is probably referencing an airport grass texture that no longer exists. IIRC, that texture changed some time in the last several months, so custom scenery projects that haven't updated it will have that problem. You can compare what's in the Australian project materials.xml (or region-specific one, if it has that), to Materials/regions/global.xml to help you find and fix the bad texture.
montagdude

Postby agathosdaimon » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:02 am

hi, i might need some help here, - i opened the materials.xml files and it is a list of other referenced files, so for the new materials.xml it has a specific australia property list and lists a number of other xml files, - ones that the australian scenery project provides. I open this but i do not know what i am supposed to look for, there is no clear reference to a file for the grass around airports

- if you or someone could look at the xml files provide by this project i would be most grateful
agathosdaimon

Postby Johan G » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:19 pm

agathosdaimon wrote in Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:02 am:[...] i do not know what i am supposed to look for, there is no clear reference to a file for the grass around airports

I do not know if it would be of help but I have often seen that grass area around the paved surfaces mentioned as the airport keep. And there is also a volymetric shader that will give the impression of waving straws.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby montagdude » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:47 pm

agathosdaimon wrote in Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:02 am:hi, i might need some help here, - i opened the materials.xml files and it is a list of other referenced files, so for the new materials.xml it has a specific australia property list and lists a number of other xml files, - ones that the australian scenery project provides. I open this but i do not know what i am supposed to look for, there is no clear reference to a file for the grass around airports

- if you or someone could look at the xml files provide by this project i would be most grateful

You need to compare the australian scenery xml with what's in Materials/regions/global.xml. Sorry, I can't do it for you right now. If you can post the xml by itself here, I might be able to take a look at it later.
montagdude

Postby agathosdaimon » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:20 am

i would be happy to but i dont know how one uploads files to the forum here, there is no option in the full editor for messages that i can see.

also i was trying your custom scenery, and it is very nice, just a question thought - there is definitely no buildings or groundnet available for Newark airport yet in Flightgear?
agathosdaimon

Postby frtps » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:48 am

agathosdaimon wrote in Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:02 am:hi, i might need some help here, - i opened the materials.xml files and it is a list of other referenced files, so for the new materials.xml it has a specific australia property list and lists a number of other xml files, - ones that the australian scenery project provides. I open this but i do not know what i am supposed to look for, there is no clear reference to a file for the grass around airports

So if you search for the word "AirportKeep" in the regional xml files you will see around it something like the following segment:

Code: Select all
 <material>
    <name>Grass</name>
    <name>GrassCover</name>
    <name>Airport</name>
    <name>AirportKeep</name>
    <effect>Effects/grass</effect>
    <texture-set>
      <texture>Terrain/airport-grass-autumn.png</texture>
      <texture n="13">Terrain/airport-grass-autumn.png</texture>
      <texture n="14">Terrain/airport_grass_overlay.png</texture>
    </texture-set>

You need to make sure that the *.png files exist in the fgdata/Textures/Terrain directory. For example, the above section uses "autumn" grass but that is no longer provided in fgdata. It should be sufficient to change "autumn" to "summer" in the above to fix that problem. Then the "overlay" texture has also vanished, it looks from the naming like "airport_grass_structure_overlay1.png" would be a suitable replacement.

I haven't forgotten about these problems, but pending some free time on my side it is always possible for others to step in and update the files on the gitlab repository.
frtps

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery