Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

AIRPORT LIBP: removing existing objects

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

AIRPORT LIBP: removing existing objects

Postby EnricoC » Fri May 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi everyone.
we are trying to model the international LIBP airport in a very realistic way.
However it is necessary to remove the existing objects that had been positioned with UFO PROJECT.
I saw that to load the objects, there is mass loading.
To remove them, you have to remove them one at a time, sending a request to the developers for each item and waiting for the request to be accepted.
There are over 500 objects .............................................. .........
I tried to write to one of the developers, a certain T .... but I received no answer .....
I have a list of all the .stg files to remove .......... anyone have any ideas?
BR
EnricoC
Callsign : Spectre
www.enricocastaldi.simplesite.com

"A superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations which require the use of his superior skill".
Frank Frederick Borman II
Commander of Apollo 8 .
EnricoC

Callsign: Spectre
Version: 2018.2.2

Re: AIRPORT LIBP: removing existing objects

Postby Alex H » Sat May 25, 2019 12:17 pm

i am fairly confident that you are not going to like this reply, but as no-one else seems to be keen to do so, I will try.

I am not as developer, I contribute scenery, some of my own and more than a few thousand shared models.

I can understand the response from the developer concerned.

To remove all of those objects at once is to destroy someone's work for a promise of a better result.

We do not know who this person is, but he or she obviously spent a lot of time and effort creating this airport.

I think I would be very upset if someone came along and totally changed my work, just because they thought their's was better.

Having flown round LIBP in the Bluebird hovercraft, I think it's not a bad job, certainly better than those with no models.

There are no models totally in the wrong place or badly created.

The terminal is a shared model - as are the entrances, the way they attach to the main block does not work at all.

Could you not start by replacing the terminal building?

You say that you want to recreate the airport in a realistic way, can you show examples of how you would do this?

Your website link shows a lot of well crafted aircraft liveries, but no airport models. (please note - I will not be the only person to do this and have the same thought)

I am not saying that you are not capable, merely that I think you are going about this the wrong way - show exactly what you want to do and then perhaps more help will be forthcoming.

I would say all of the models there are valid - can they not to be moved to fit in with your new design?

The developer's have a mailing list - you may get better results by outlining your plans there

Good Luck!
Regards

Alex
Alex H

Version: 2019.2.0

Postby EnricoC » Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.
Unfortunately I noticed that when you open a thread, the first 3 answers are almost always useless.
Usually the one who answers at the beginning dresses like a professor.
I don't want to be controversial, BUT EVERY TIME I HAVE OPENED A DISCUSSION, I have always found professors and rarely someone of good heart willing to provide concrete help.
The stuff you saw in LIBP, was put by ME with UFO PROGRAM.
This is because being a pilot in real life, I have my plane parked there and I know it like my pockets.
So again, all the things you saw flying around LIBP, were positioned by ME.
Looking at my site, you only found liveries because I deal with them, I don't deal with scenarios.
I have made hundreds of liveries, often working late into the night for people who asked me for them.
When I asked for something, they were all busy with other projects.
Strange life, right ????????
I found a very good person who is helping me and is planning the whole airport in a really realistic way.
So I asked to destroy what I had created with UFO PROGRAM.
Then, if you allow me, when a developer is asked, the answer is still a good education.

I hope I was clear .
BR
EnricoC

"A superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations which require the use of his superior skill".
Commander of Apollo 8 .
EnricoC

Postby Thorsten » Sat May 25, 2019 6:36 pm

I believe the only person who can do mass deletion would be Torsten Dreyer who is the database administrator - if you've contacted him and he doesn't answer or approve, then there's nothing a forum request will gain you, sorry.
Thorsten

Postby Alex H » Sat May 25, 2019 7:37 pm

EnricoC wrote in Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 pm:The stuff you saw in LIBP, was put by ME with UFO PROGRAM.

Well, if you only give half the story - you can only expect half the answer
Regards

Alex
Alex H

Version: 2019.2.0

Postby EnricoC » Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 am

Thorsten wrote in Sat May 25, 2019 6:36 pm:I believe the only person who can do mass deletion would be Torsten Dreyer who is the database administrator - if you've contacted him and he doesn't answer or approve, then there's nothing a forum request will gain you, sorry.

did you have any contact of him ?????
I've already written to him twice .......
BR
EnricoC

Commander of Apollo 8 .
EnricoC

Postby Thorsten » Sun May 26, 2019 10:44 am

He is very busy - both with real life and with FG stuff and your request might not be as critical as e.g. broken MP maps (which he had to fix last week).

(One of the issues here is that there's too few people helping with the infrastructure of FG terrain, terrasync and database administration).
Thorsten

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:34 pm

EnricoC wrote in Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 pm:The stuff you saw in LIBP, was put by ME with UFO PROGRAM.

I can confirm that being the guy who uploaded the whole content to the scenery database for Enrico.
I know what he's working on and can confirm it will be a farly good upgrade with static instead of shared objects of what he's done earlier.

That said, I second the fact that mass deletion would be useful (maybe limited to a number of objects or with stricter regulation) as I found myself multiple times in the need to delete badly positioned object e.g. obstructing parking positions (some were put by myself from an earlier project which didn't take into account the fact that by the time starting slots were added to the airfield) and having to delete multiple of them and got even notified for excessive usage to avoid that because I wanted to delete them all at once forcing me to wait for a long time to try again.

I hope it helps supporting the case brought up here since contributions (if done right like this case, else avoid) should always be welcomed to our open source simulator.
Cheers, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, C-32J, MH-60).
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar.
Find me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16 and YouTube.
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16, REBEL84
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Thorsten » Sun May 26, 2019 12:47 pm

That said, I second the fact that mass deletion would be useful

Dependent on how the backup works, it'd have to be regulated like commit access or even stricter for the simple reason that it opens the door for malicious actions (there clearly are people around who have tried DoS attacks against FG infrastructure etc,, so it's not a far-fetched scenario).

Given that the clear use case that someone wants to remove his own work is comparatively rare and the case that someone removes someone else's work probably should probably discussed anyway, I'm not sure it survives a cost-benefit analysis.

I hope it helps supporting the case brought up here since contributions (if done right like this case, else avoid) should always be welcomed to our open source simulator.

Mass deletion as such isn't a contribution though... it's in fact the opposite of one.

In any case, let me re-iterate:

* for lack of other volunteers, one person only (TorstenD) is in charge of much of the FG terrain and object infrastructure
* that person has a busy private and professional life as well
* as a result, requests for database management are being processed slowly

That's not deliberately done to make life for others difficult, but generally we're volunteers and there's only so much time for FG . So we can discuss and agree on whatever we think is useful, but nothing will change until more people volunteer to help with the infrastructure. So the case doesn't need support, Torsten needs support.
Thorsten

Postby VicMar » Thu May 30, 2019 7:32 am

I think it's time for me to join in.

As the guy who also donates a lot of time validating TerraSync Scenery models I find it annoying when people complain they get no response from developers when I am waiting for a reply from Enrico so that we can discus privately how he proposes to replace the current TerraSync models.

I currently have 76 Deletion Requests in my "pending' folder awaiting Enrico getting in touch with me.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby VicMar » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:18 am

Hi again,

Just to put a lid on this topic - Enrico has ignored my emails about the deletion requests and I gave him until yesterday to contact me.

I am going to reject all his deletion requests today.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby EnricoC » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi VicMar
I have not ignored any mail.
I'm just preparing the material to send.
I'm preparing live photos taken at the airport and I'm combining them with the constructions made by us.
This takes time, we are working on it, and what we are doing will be ready in the next few days.
I apologize if I didn't reply to the email but unfortunately it ended up in spam and I didn't see it.
BR
EnricoC

Commander of Apollo 8 .
EnricoC

Postby EnricoC » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:59 pm

something like this

Last edited by EnricoC on Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BR
EnricoC

Commander of Apollo 8 .
EnricoC

Postby EnricoC » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:08 pm

or this :
Last edited by EnricoC on Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BR
EnricoC

Commander of Apollo 8 .
EnricoC

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:35 pm

Pro Tip: Always, always, always check spam boxes first before downloading emails just in case something wanted/important is hiding in there.
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Next

Return to Scenery