Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Iceland

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Iceland

Postby vanosten » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:11 pm

vanosten wrote in Mon May 27, 2019 6:58 am:An untested version for osm2city is available at https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... I2FkOcGlOX. Please do NOT put it on TerraSync - better versions will follow. See also https://osm2city.readthedocs.io/en/latest/using.html.

If you find clear bugs, please PM me wit a picture plus coordinates so we do not spam this thread.

I have created a new version based on latest on Terrasync: same download link and same remarks apply as above.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby xDraconian » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:35 am

D-ECHO wrote in Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:57 pm:General question: Do you think we should merge this soon into terrasync?

BIKF North Ramp will not be complete for another week or two, but it is already in a usable state. Feel free to merge when you are ready.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:31 am

Just to make it clear: As far as I've understood Torsten, only the terrain will be directly merged into terrasync, the objects will go via the scenery database.
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby VicMar » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:49 am

Just to make it even clearer:

Each model needs to be placed and input to the TerraSync database using the correct input forms. My back of the brain thought is that maybe someone will make one huge model of the whole airport and it will end up as a custom scenery rather than it being TerraSync models which all will see.

I personally don't use custom scenery as my involvement with TerraSync would make me feel like a traitor.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby xDraconian » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 am

I was thinking it would go into FG_ROOT because it is the default airport, but I guess you are correct. I think that Oahu went into TerraSync as you described. Just seems a bit odd that the default airport would have a dependency on TerraSync since you would just get ocean if TS is disabled.

Regardless, I see no reason to postpone once you are ready to publish to TS.
xDraconian

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:13 am

Alright, I'll do a full rebuild of the terrain today to include all changed airports and afterwards make it ready for inclusion. Any bugs left to fix?
D-ECHO

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:57 am

I was thinking it would go into FG_ROOT because it is the default airport, but I guess you are correct. I think that Oahu went into TerraSync as you described.

The magic is in the packaging - if you download the packaged release, the default airport scenery is copied from TS into the FGData structure as part of the release process and appears to be part of FGData, but it is never on the FGData repository.
Thorsten

Postby gooneybird » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:28 pm

Just uploaded a working ground network for BIKF, there's still some erratic behaviour from the AI but I'll come back to it at a later date when I understand what is happening.
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby xDraconian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:06 am

D-ECHO wrote in Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:13 am:Alright, I'll do a full rebuild of the terrain today to include all changed airports and afterwards make it ready for inclusion. Any bugs left to fix?

Seems there were elevation changes introduced with the new terrain generation. The elevation of objects at BIKF need to be recalculated.
xDraconian

Postby D-ECHO » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:58 pm

This is no problem, keep them as now, when uploading in the database the elevations will automatically be recalculated
D-ECHO

Postby xDraconian » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:19 am

The Rainbow is complete. Tried to upload to Scenery Database, but it is failing.

xDraconian

Postby VicMar » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:35 am

How big is your .ac file? The maximum is 2MB including .xml and textures.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby vnts » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:09 am

Only a very quick look: The new terrain on terrasync seems (??) to have a significantly reduced amount of the landclass types textured with yellow-green and light green (grass & small plants, moss AIUI). It's a common landtype/colour in Icelandic landscapes AIUI. Have not flown in FG since last time, only a quick check with UFO. Maybe someone more familiar with Iceland in FG can verify.

Isafjordur (BIIS) - summer in FG: Old:1,2. New:3,4. Google maps:5.

Vik (BIVI) - summer: Old: 6, 7, 8, 9 New:10. Google (autumn-ish): 11, greener at other seasons: 12. If the landclass is right FG handles seasonal change so greenery will change colour later.

Grass/plant landclass patch near BIVI: Google:13, Old:14, New:15, 16. Landtype with brighter green textures on ground & hill seems to match in old version. Roadsides in Iceland often have an introduced species spread by commuters growing aiui - the purple flowering Alaskan Lupine.

Not sure if this is a known thing, or a quirk of a new data source. Just something I noticed. Maybe many landclasses get mapped to 1 in new data, or to new landclass types that get a generic fallback (?). There is the odd patch of the reduced landtypes. Maybe reduction is just in some areas. Just mentioning in case it's a bug, or something with a regional definitions workaround.

Kind regards,
vnts
Last edited by vnts on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
vnts

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:31 am

It does show, yes....
Thorsten

Postby xDraconian » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:42 pm

D-ECHO,

The BIKF files have been pushed to TerraSync. I've submitted requests to remove the original models that are being replaced. Once that is processed the elevations of the new buildings will need adjustment.

Not sure what your plans are with the terrain. I've seen two issues have been reported - voids in terrain and the landclass/colouration changes.
xDraconian

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery