Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

w100n40  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

w100n40

Postby dilbert » Sat May 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Had not encountered a problem with downloaded scenery until attempting to fly in the w100n40 (Des Moines) area with Terrasync off.

If KDSM location is selected with Terrasync off, FlightGear crashes during start at "loading Scenery" stage.

Thought original download and extraction to Documents>FlightGear>Scenery might be corrupted; so re-downloaded and re-extracted to Scenery. Download and extraction seemed to take longer than normal for the w100n40 area's density.

When re-run, program crashes at "loading scenery" stage, as before. :( However, encounter no problem with Terrasync on; so assume bug not in immediate KDSM area.

Kind Regards
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Re: w100n40

Postby wkitty42 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:58 pm

we need more information...
what OS and version of FG?
does your fgfs.log provide a clue?
what about if you add "--log-level=debug" to your command line and trigger the crash?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dilbert » Sat May 11, 2019 4:20 pm

WIN 10, FG 2018.3.2, as listed to right of my post. :roll:

All but two tile manager entries were normal looking cxx:251 type.

The abnormal ones were as follows:

\tilemgr.cxx:504:FGTileMgr:at lon=-93.6506deg,lat=41.5379deg,elev=3047.7m,scheduling needed for: -94:1,42:4, visibility=32000

\tilemgr.cxx293:scheduling needed tile for -94:1,41:4,tile-width-m: 20803.1, tile-height-m: 13914.9

After tile manager entries, program defaulted to blue ocean tiles before crash

Best Regards
dilbert

Postby dilbert » Thu May 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Afraid w100n40 is irrelevant to this problem, which now seems general for Documents>FlightGear>Scenery.

I have the scenery for the Western hemisphere downloaded and installed in Documents>FlightGear>Scenery.

If I select a new location where no Terrasync files have been downloaded to Documents>FlightGear>Scenery, the program crashes .

Then, if I select the same location with Terrasync on, it does not crash, but adds a limited number of tiles to the Terrasync file.

Thereafter, with Terrasync off, the program loads successfully, but if I fly out of the immediate area of the downloaded Terrasync tiles, the program defaults to blue ocean tiles.

However, if I start in an original location with Terrasync on, then go to File and scenery download in the top menu, and then unclick scenery download; the scenery in Documents>FlightGear>Scenery loads and works fine:
there are no blue ocean tiles when I leave the immediate area of the previously downloaded Terrasync tiles.

I know , for a fact, that the program is operating on the Documents>FlightGear>Scenery, because I can see the point in the scenery download log where the program has ceased to download the Terrasync files and
has integrated and begun using the Documents>FlightGear>Scenery files.

The problem with this is that one can't start in an entirely new scenery area or airport without having at least once visited it with Terrasync active; even though scenery is available in the
Documents>FlightGear>Scenery folder. :(
dilbert

Postby wkitty42 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 pm

is Documents>FlightGear>Scenery the default terrasync directory where FG downloads the tile to? if so, have you manually added it to the scenery paths so it is available all the time and not only when terrasync is enabled??
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby dilbert » Fri May 17, 2019 10:41 am

No, the default Terrasync directory is Documents>FlightGear>Terrasync.

If nothing has been previously downloaded and installed in Documents>FlightGear>Terrasync, and "Download scenery automatically" is not selected in Settings, the program crashes, rather than defaulting to Documents>FlightGear>Scenery, which it should. This seems odd, as Documents>FlightGear>Scenery appears in the log to be the designated, second scenery source.
dilbert

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:41 pm

i've posted this to the dev's mailing list... hopefully someone will come by and offer more assistance than i can right now... it is a crap shoot if i can even get FG to load without either of my systems powering off like someone pulled the plug out of the back :(
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby dilbert » Fri May 17, 2019 6:28 pm

Many thanks for responding and posting it to the development list. Wish you best of luck dealing with the powering off problem with your own systems. Kind Regards
dilbert

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 pm

can you post a screen shot of your scenery paths setup in the launcher, please?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby dilbert » Sat May 18, 2019 1:21 am

My problem solved thanks to Scott in development. I had erroneously assumed that since Documents>FlightGear>Scenery was a standard FlightGear directory, not "additional scenery", that its path would have been created during program installation. Not so. To make Documents>FlightGear>Scenery accessible, you have to add its path by clicking the plus sign in Additional scenery folders under Add-ons and entering it. May have been redundant, but I did same for Documents>FlightGear>Terrasync. Now everything works fine with Terrasync turned off. Kind Regards to all. :)
dilbert

Postby wkitty42 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:51 pm

yeah, i saw the posts in the mailing list this morning... i should have been able to figure this out but i don't know the paths on winwhatever and was a bit confused...

adding terrasync to the additional scenery path is good, too... that's what we do so we can use that scenery when terrasync is turned off... if it wasn't listed there, turning off terrasync would cause the scenery to be removed from the sim while you are flying... it was rather unnerving the first time i saw that... when i asked about it, adding it to the additional scenery list was the solution and why i mentioned it above...

i like james' offer to automatically add the scenery path to the list when installing scenery via the launcher... that way it shouldn't have to be manually added as in this case...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Scenery