Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Edge Lighting Experiments

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Edge Lighting Experiments

Postby xDraconian » Sun May 05, 2019 6:30 am

Hi All,

I've begun some experiments with edge lighting fixtures. I'm quite happy with the model results so far.
Anyone have an interest, along with myself, in seeing these added to FlightGear scenery?
I assume most would want it to be an optional feature - i.e. must be enable explicitly to avoid a frame rate hit.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by xDraconian on Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Re: Edge Lighting Experiments

Postby Isaak » Sun May 05, 2019 6:40 am

Those look great! If they are optional I would definitly implement them!
Isaak

Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby wlbragg » Sun May 05, 2019 6:48 am

Oh ya, absolutely!
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun May 05, 2019 7:49 am

Looks great!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Icecode GL » Sun May 05, 2019 10:56 am

A few days ago I was imagining how good these would look in FG. Nice to see someone made it a reality! Great job!

I guess they could be added to the scenery just like random builds or trees. If they are properly implemented through instancing, I think the fps impact would be negligible.
Icecode GL

Callsign: icecode
Version: GIT

Postby pb321 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Please add them. They would add a lot and look great!
pb321

Version: 2019.2.1

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm

WOW, very nice! But the placement of light models should be done by the scenery loader.
I have often see models, like PAPIs beside the runway, but the light it self is on a different location.
I think, the best is if the scenery loader places the model exaclty where the light is in the scenery (BTG file).
WoodSTokk

Callsign: OE-WST
IRC name: WoodSTokk

Postby xDraconian » Sun May 05, 2019 3:55 pm

Thank you all for your positive feedback and advice.

Icecode GL wrote in Sun May 05, 2019 10:56 am:If they are properly implemented through instancing, I think the fps impact would be negligible.

+1

WoodSTokk wrote in Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm:I think, the best is if the scenery loader places the model exaclty where the light is in the scenery (BTG file).

+1 This is where things will get complicated. Should the model replace the point sprites or co-existing with them? Is this a good use case for the new Compositor a bit further down the road?

Scott
xDraconian

Postby Icecode GL » Sun May 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Should the model replace the point sprites or co-existing with them? Is this a good use case for the new Compositor a bit further down the road?

The Compositor will only manage the dynamic lighting part, i.e. illuminating objects with light sources. How the light sources look is still the responsibility of the scenery loader. In my opinion we should keep the point sprites alongside the model.
Icecode GL

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun May 05, 2019 4:44 pm

It would look rather odd to have a blue light on the surface and one also on the light pole. Would it not be possible to lift up the point sprite so its "inside" the glass (which could be an almost fully transparent object).
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO

Postby WoodSTokk » Mon May 06, 2019 1:30 am

Thats ecactly what i mean. The point sprits must be rised up so that the light is on the same elevation as the pole.
But we need also a information if the light is rised or paved. Otherwise the scenery loader places poles on runwaycenter line ;)
The VASI/PAPI is not a problem, because they are special lights. But we have red lights on the last meter of the runway center line (paved lights) and red lights on the runway edge (pole lights).
How should the scenery loader know if there is a pole or not (or a paved, if we model that also).
WoodSTokk

Postby xDraconian » Mon May 06, 2019 6:27 am

WoodSTokk wrote in Mon May 06, 2019 1:30 am:How should the scenery loader know if there is a pole or not (or a paved, if we model that also).

I've actually already modelled some embedded pavement lights. :)

Not sure I understand the concern with pole or no pole.
Loader would utilize apt.dat lighting codes to determine the type of light fixture to place.
xDraconian

Postby WoodSTokk » Mon May 06, 2019 3:20 pm

xDraconian wrote in Mon May 06, 2019 6:27 am:I've actually already modelled some embedded pavement lights. :)

Oh, nice! Havn't know that.

xDraconian wrote in Mon May 06, 2019 6:27 am:Not sure I understand the concern with pole or no pole.
Loader would utilize apt.dat lighting codes to determine the type of light fixture to place.

AFAIK the scenery loader read the BTG file in. The point sprites are points (for position) with a vector (for direction) inside the BTG.
And there are also a problem with light of two different colors. As example the last meters of runway center line are on one side white and the other side is red.
In the BTG file there are 2 points (one white, one red) on the same location with different vectors.
If the loader place a model on every point, we will have 2 models on the same place.
The same goes for pole lights. The runway edge lights on the last meters are two sided.
WoodSTokk

Postby Icecode GL » Mon May 06, 2019 3:33 pm

If the loader place a model on every point, we will have 2 models on the same place.

We can just skip one of them, i.e. only place a light model on red points, for example.
Icecode GL

Postby xDraconian » Mon May 06, 2019 4:09 pm

I image we could check for the dual lighting condition and place an appropriate model. Haven't modelled these yet, but it is on my todo list.
xDraconian

Next

Return to Scenery