Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

osm2city worldbuild

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: osm2city worldbuild

Postby Posthumane » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:18 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:26 pm:
Posthumane wrote in Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:17 pm:The log has an error message for each tile that says "No OSM2City server defined for: Roads/w130n40/w125n49" and another one for buildings.

if you are using the property to define a specific server to pull from, don't do that any more... set it to "automatic" and don't force the scenery servers any more...

--prop:/sim/terrasync/http-server=automatic

Thanks, this did help. I had a server specified as I kept getting a DNS error before. Now it kind of works in that it will start the download when I move to a new airport, and will start to slowly populate the buildings. However, it won't populate the OSM roads even though it says in the log that it's been successfully synced. I have to reload the scenery via the debug menu for the roads and pylons to show up.
Posthumane

Postby merspieler » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 pm

EXCITING NEWS:

Inspired by SpaceX's mission to bring mankind to mars, we've switched the running osm2city scenery to be build against mars terrain.
Coverage won't be good as there haven't been any local contributors to openstreetmap to this part of the world just yet, but never the less it will be exciting to see the outcome.
You can follow the progress here.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby benih » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:14 pm

:D
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby lomar » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:03 pm

@merspieler you lost the chance to redirect to a rickroll
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby merspieler » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:24 pm

@lomar, I'd rather keep my dignity
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Object quality as a function of shader options model

Postby abassign » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:19 pm

I noticed this problem for osm2city generated objects, when I set the model parameter of shader options to the maximum value, part of the osm2build objects look like this:

While if I set it to zero all the objects return ok
But obviously the aircraft model no longer has the right quality and becomes very dark

It seems to me the effect of a problem, could someone give me an answer ?

Note:
I am using the development version of FGFS (20.4 Ubuntu 20.10 NVidia 1080) and the problem I have always known, I thought it was not solvable, but when I changed, by chance, the "model" parameter I noticed that the part of objects that are too dark returned ok, for this I understand that this is a problem. The interesting thing is that it does not happen at the same time for all objects, but only for a part.
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby merspieler » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:35 pm

I don't see this issue... and this is the wrong thread for this.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby abassign » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:47 am

merspieler wrote in Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:35 pm:I don't see this issue... and this is the wrong thread for this.

And where do you think I can report the problem?
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby merspieler » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 am

probably best somwhere in the support forum... to get help with figuring out the cause of the issue.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby benih » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:09 am

Sounds like shader-related - but i have no clue about that
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby merspieler » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:21 am

You genious... what else would it be, when you change _shader_ settings?
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby abassign » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:39 am

merspieler wrote in Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:21 am:You genious... what else would it be, when you change _shader_ settings?

My genius tells me you didn't see the problem. With you can see by changing the parameter some of the objects have changed, for the worse, their color, other objects, always of the same set, instead change their color.
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby merspieler » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:56 pm

Could you please move to a different thread... this one is about the worldbuild... not about any issues with osm2city scenery in general...

Thanks
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby vnts » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:01 pm

StuartC wrote in Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:45 am:Ok Its fixed, I think, and this is what I did.

I Renamed my existing terrsasync folder, and created a new one, which was empty.
Spawned at my local with terrasync on, and its downloaded a populated area. Just like I had before.
So, as a test, I made my old terrasyc folder live again, spawned in, but with terrasync turned off, and All the buildings and roads still exist, where they didnt yesterday. Tried Edinburgh, and its also repopul;ated ( using my original terrasync folder.

That is rather weird.

There was a period when there was some corruption of the .dirindex and .dirhash files on OSM2City TerraSync folders. This has been fixed. You may have downloaded your TerraSync OSM2City folders back then(?).

LEBL had the same issue for me I think(?) - the files were extracted but scenery was not showing despite restarting FG or reloading secenery via the debug menu. I fixed it by deleting the e000n40 subfolder in Buildings, Details, Roads, and Pylons. My .dirindex was: link
If this happens to anyone else at an airport they used back when OSM2City was first released in TeraSync for the next branch of FG, just try fixing it this way to avoid throwing out all the downloaded TerraSync files. The scenery subfolder can be found by truncating lon-lat coordinates to the nearest 10 e.g. 29 becomes 20 - as described in docs/README.scenery.
abassign wrote in Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:19 pm:I noticed this problem for osm2city generated objects, when I set the model parameter of shader options to the maximum value, part of the osm2build objects look like this:

https://i.ibb.co/w6WGbgD/fgfs-20210402182455.png
While if I set it to zero all the objects return ok
https://i.ibb.co/3BNwM6R/fgfs-20210402182510.png
But obviously the aircraft model no longer has the right quality and becomes very dark
https://i.ibb.co/26kW25y/fgfs-20210402183400.png

It seems to me the effect of a problem, could someone give me an answer ?

Note:
I am using the development version of FGFS (20.4 Ubuntu 20.10 NVidia 1080) and the problem I have always known, I thought it was not solvable, but when I changed, by chance, the "model" parameter I noticed that the part of objects that are too dark returned ok, for this I understand that this is a problem. The interesting thing is that it does not happen at the same time for all objects, but only for a part.

It looks like you are using an older development build of FG? There's a quality settings revamp on next, which seems unrelated to this issue.

The best way to see this is to open both images in different browser windows/tabs, and switch between them. It's hard to pick up the difference by looking at the images (I couldn't see it initially) because the way perception works - e.g. eye interprets colour by looking at the light bouncing off surfaces towards the eye and trying to figure out the light coming to the surface (illuminants) by looking at cues at the same time. It tries to keep colours of known objects the same (colour constancy : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_constancy ).

It seems to only affect shader buildings - the one or two AC file buildings that are visible are untouched. There is also bug on next right now after the quality levels revamp for shader buildings - shaders at the lowest quality have issues.

It seems that all shader building surfaces on next are always in full shadow, while shader buildings on LTS are fine. The AC file buildings (which are rendered by the same fragment shader) are unaffected.

(If something is different from the LTS that should be working the same that's a good indication it's a bug. Bugs should be brought up in the mailinglist, or issue tracker - next is undergoing large changes and testing is very helpful .)

Kind regards
vnts

Postby merspieler » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:26 pm

vnts wrote in Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:01 pm:The scenery subfolder can be found by truncating lon-lat coordinates to the nearest 10 e.g. 29 becomes 20

Carefull with southern and western coords... S029 or -29 becomes 30, not 20

Again, please go to a different thread as this has nothing do to with the worldbuild it self.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery