Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

LIRF-Roma Fiumicino airport  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: LIRF-Roma Fiumicino airport

Postby J Maverick 16 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:14 pm

Hey, this indeed looks amazing! Will it eventually be submitted to TerraSync?
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Valerio.dim » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Probably yes.
Valerio.dim

Postby V12 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:12 pm

By me, not now. I will not submit any my work to TS, because of totaly stupid interface that not able to correct calculate models altitude offsets. My work on LZIB, NZQN, NZAA, SKBO and SEQU is on terrasync, today I updated last (I hope) bad elevation offsets. If someone fix offset calculation, no problem.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Valerio.dim » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:30 pm

I worked hard on this airport, there are new objects but a lot of work to do...
Now I am making all the buildings outside the airport, like the train station ecc.... After that I will do taxiways and I will probably remake the terrain.

Valerio.dim :D
Valerio.dim

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:19 am

"If someone fix offset calculation, no problem." No one need to fix anything, just keep in mind you need to set manual offset for the object relative to the ground, only the relative ground altitude will be newed over time.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby V12 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:22 am

How can I manual calculate offset ? Objects's height is not indicated, for me only way to obtain object's offset is place object, set altitude, then on it's position place another object without altitude change, dump to console and calculate proper offset value. Too stupid for me. I'm not willing place 100 objects to the scenery and then check and calculate 100 offsets. Why FG doesn't dump objects data with terrain elevation and correct offsets when it is good known fact (not for me, when I first time uploaded objects to TS), that TS ignore elevation ??? And why is here this statement :
f-ojac wrote in Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:38 pm:For shared models positions.
If you want to add, delete, update, mass import shared models, please please use the forms at http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submission/.
Use -9999 as elevation if you want the database to automagically compute it - less hassle for you ;-)

I did not use -9999, but database recalculated elevation.

This is #1 stupidity... Much larger than stabilizer runaway on 737 MAD-MAX :twisted:

Again : I will not upload any new things on TS until someone fix offset calculation.
V12

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm

V12 wrote in Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:22 am:This is #1 stupidity...

this is really uncalled for... no matter how angry you may be...

what needs to be done is educating to remove the ignorance that leads to these statements and misunderstandings... there's a reason why things are done the way they are and learning that will greatly eliminate the problem once it is understood and the workflow corrected...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Catalanoic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:15 pm

As here nobody works paid for FG, nobody is stupid here except people blaming others for their stupidity. Maybe somebody with this behaviour have place at microsoft, or other company but as this is not a company but a community, all poorly educated comments are ignored
PS: after +1000 static and 40K shared object positions, no issues found under "offset calculation"
Catalanoic

Postby V12 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:40 pm

I found somewhere guide, how place objects with UFO. I made all steps and result was poor - mass import ignored my elevations, I did not used -9999 for automatic elevation recalculation. When I used some elev other than -9999, then there is strong reason to use that non -9999 elevation ! My asks :
1. why UFO export doesn't use elevation offsets ?
2. why UFO doesn't show elevation offsets ?
3. why mass import ignore my elevation other than -9999
4. how can I calculate right correct elevation offset with UFO placement method ?
5. why manual update of uploaded objects is visible in FG with 4 or more days delay ?
6. why doesn't exists user friendly all-in-one tool for airport editing and TS uploading ?

When I placed more than 200 shared objects into the scenery with UFO and saved it as .stg file, all was perfect. When I uploaded that objects on TS with mass import, result was poor - for example check this my post : viewtopic.php?p=343443#p343443
V12

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:59 pm

1. ask the creator(s)/maintainer(s) of the UFO.
2. ask the creator(s)/maintainer(s) of the UFO.
3. ask the creator(s)/maintainer(s) of the mass importation page.
4. unknown.
5. ask the creator(s)/maintainer(s) of the scenery import page.
6. do you really need to ask that of a project that has been in work for 20+ years and has had 100+ developers and contributors? look also at the airport ground net creation tool(s) which are in a similar situation. don't even look at the 600 or so available aircraft with a majority in barely flyable condition.
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby V12 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Standard OpenSource comunity answer - Ask the creator / maintainer :) I'm boring with it. And not only in FG, but across all opensorce scene. Blender, Gimp, PostgreSQL, etc. Second standard answer is Do it better Yourself, if You disslike actual version. But I'm user, not developer...
V12

Postby Catalanoic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Whats wrong with you man? every question was already answered, but if you want details do a simple search on the wiki and forum and repeated on devel-lists, both users and developers can do this. if you're blaming opensource projects so generally, man, its your problem, but from my experience most users are overexpecting too much from free communities. its a overhelming effort for people like us with a life to save some time for free/opensource projects like FG, Blender, Gimp, Wikipedia, etc., everything can be improved, with time, patience, etc.
PS: 4 - Put the object, press D and get the altittude, then change object elevation and press D again to get actual altittude and check the difference to know true relative offset. If you dont like that way, pay a programmer to get it one-click visually, hope you can opensource it, good luck
Catalanoic

Postby Valerio.dim » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 pm

This page is not for discussions, please I use it to post news about the airport. Thanks
:wink:
Valerio.dim

Postby Catalanoic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:20 pm

of course, only LIRF-Roma Fiumicino stuff, all other topics on their respective threads, including constructive complaints
Catalanoic

Postby radi » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:33 pm

V12 wrote in Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 pm:Second standard answer is Do it better Yourself, if You disslike actual version

Well, maybe that's a standard answer because... it's true? Open source doesn't exists to please users. Open source exists because developers love to develop stuff. They spend their time, working on something they enjoy, and do it the way they think is right. If it turns out that the result of their work is useful for you, too -- great, and you even get it for free. If it isn't useful to you, your four options are (1) try and convince the maintainer to spend more of his time (unpaid) to do it your way, (2) pay the maintainer (or somebody else) to develop/fix whatever you think is missing/broken, (3) do it yourself, and learn something along the way, or (4) go look for alternatives, libre or paid.

Bonus tip: complaining the way you just did is guaranteed to blow your chances with (1) and won't help much with (2) either.
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery