Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

How to disable ship physical model?

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

How to disable ship physical model?

Postby triff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:28 am

I am using Flightgear just as a graphical interface. The Flightgear receives information of position and attitude from a external application using custom telemetry. I want to simulate a carrier landing and takeoff. I have a synchronization problem between the carrier image and the helicopter position that makes the image vibrate.

I guess the problem is that Flightgear draws the new ship position and later on, it updates the helicopter position when a new packet is received. These are the possible solutions I have though off:

Is it possible to disable the ship physical model?
It would be great to have a command like "--fdm=null" to disable it. This way Flightgear would update the helicopter and ship position at the same time when a new packet is received.

The other solution is using the carrier not as a ship but as a moving object with no associated physical model. I think this should be possible and easy, but I haven't found any post explaining how to do it.

I would be very grateful if someone can help me.
triff

Re: How to disable ship physical model?

Postby triff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:13 pm

I have tried using a <static> object instead of a <ship> or <carrier> object. This may work because the only thing I have to do is updating the position and attitude of the static object. But instead of drawing the ship it always draw a simple plane. It is some kind of default image that it is drawn when there is some problem.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<PropertyList>
<scenario>
<name>Demo1</name>
<description>
</description>
<entry>
<type>static</type>
<model>\Models\Maritime\Military\CG-57-high-detail\CG-57.xml</model>
<latitude>36.15121</latitude>
<longitude>-5.34</longitude>
</entry>
</scenario>
</PropertyList>

By changing <static> to <ship>, the model is drawn correctly.
triff

Return to Scenery