Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Upgrading Perugia LIRZ Airport

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Upgrading Perugia LIRZ Airport

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 am

Hi again ;)
Yep, I too saw you on MP but I only received the second part of the message. Also, just so you know FG by default automatically sends a "Hello" message when entering the MP environment.

Signs are not converted by D-Laser's scripts but rather by terragear itself, so they should already be in (they are placed in the terrain folder, as well as windsocks) Image

If you want to add more signs, you can do that with the X-Plane world editor (WED, https://developer.x-plane.com/tools/worldeditor/ ), it edits the apt.dat file, so that terragear can generate the signs
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Hello there and thank you for your reply and help.
I was considering using WED and I saw signs can be added with it but I still have the very same problem here: my genapts850 (now compiled tens of times and different branches, too :( ) does not work and does not generate any output.
I saw your conversion included runway entrance signs. I was referring to taxiways signs, both at their side and on the pavement as well.
By the way: I found a bug in the elevation of your conversion. When I imported and converted the objects for LIRZ, the apron area to the northern side of the airport is actually lower than the rest of the terrain and in fact all the objects placed in that area are actually hovering :-)
I will post pictures later so it will be clear for you too. :-)
Last edited by RedGriffin on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
Author and developer of Red Griffin ATC (Wiki) - Enjoy my Youtube Channel
RedGriffin

Callsign: IK0TOJ
Version: 2020.4 git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi,
Does genapts simply exit without any output?
I find that in that case, I simply have to remove parts until it works...

I generally remove markings, test, then if it works, re-add markings till I find the bad one. If not, I try with taxiways. For instance, at Dublin, I found the eastern taxiways on runway 10 were the problem - I had to re-draw them by hand to make them work.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Hello legoboyvdlp, thank you for your reply.
genapts850 (I am currently using scenery/WS2.0 branch) does not give any error and the output displayed in the terminal says the process ended successfully. I posted the output of my genapts850 runs in a couple of my previous posts.
At the end it does not produce any output file, in particular, there is no "AirportArea" and "AirportObj" folders. The very same apt.dat I used has however been successfully converted and imported by D-ECHO who is using my very same branch.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:43 pm

Hi,
I see - where did you get your terragear from? Did you self-compile?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Hello,
I cloned the repository available at this address https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/te ... .0/~/tree/ (link taken from the TerraGear wiki) and, yes, I compiled it myself following the procedure described in the wiki.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:46 pm

Hello D-ECHO,
here it is the pictures of your great LIRZ scenery in which I added gateway's objects. Now it looks even better and definitely great! :-)

View of LIRZ from the above in real time weather (yes, we have a little fog today in Perugia :-) ). On the left side you can see the control tower and on the right side you can see the fire station (I will add fire trucks and cars here). On the top side you can see the flight academy buildings and the north apron area for small, private and charter planes.

View of the north apron area. You can see part of the service road is actually hovering on the steep slope where the apron area begins.

Front view of the steep slope as seen from the north apron area.

In the north apron area, as you can see, objects are hovering because the terrain here is actually lower.

Despite of this, now LIRZ truly looks great, thanks to your good job! :-) 8)

I hope this helps to see whether the north apron area elevation can be fixed.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:09 pm

I will look into the elevation and see what I can do there. About the signs, if you want you can add them in WED, then send me the apt.dat file so that I can generate it for you.

[EDIT]
Hm, the problem actually seems to be that the objects are wrongly placed:
They are not on the aircraft and that's why they now appear to be on some cropland

[EDIT2]
About the street though, it's because of the airport boundary not very well set, I'm anyway planning to rework the airport layout to represent the airport in better detail, so I will fix that then
D-ECHO

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Hello D-ECHO,
very good job as usual! I printed the satellite view of LIRZ from google's Earth and I believe you are absolutely right. The point now is to delete or move the wrongly placed objects to an existing or proper place. I will edit the stg files and fix that by moving or deleting them, maybe using WED or the vi text editor.
If you agree on this, at the end of this, if you want you can add my stg files to your repository in order to have a complete scenery so anyone can download and use it. I do not care about credits for what I am doing as I understand most of the job and credits are due to you and your job.

Thank you!
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi Griffin,
editing the stg files seems good, when you're done you can send them to me. And for sure you'll get mentioned in the README file :)

Meanwhile some WIP of the improved layout:
As I'm already redoing most of the airport, I can just go ahead and add the missing signs :D
D-ECHO

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:41 pm

WOW! Just WOW! :-)
I can't wait to see when you are done with the editing (including signs, of course! :-) ) As for signs, I was thinking about using as a reference the aerial view from google earth, but I am sure you are thinking about the very same! :-D
And I am very sorry I cannot be of much help here because of my stubborn genapts850! :(

Meanwhile, I hope you will be happy to know the airport you are working on has been designed by one of the most important, revered, prolific and truly brilliant Italian architects: Gae Aulenti. Perugia Airport has been one of her last projects before passing away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perugia_S ... al_Airport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gae_Aulenti
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks! and no problem, technical problems happen :)

Oh, and cool to know about Gae Aulenti :D
D-ECHO

Postby Catalanoic » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:50 pm

It looks really nice and advanced development. I worked recently on Firenze airport, but still lacks some city buildings and landmarks and i'm glad to see another italian airport developed. Try to complete the airport and submit these shared objects positions and dedicated objects (no matter the layout currently availible) to the scenery database. Happy new year to all !! :D
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:54 pm

I am very glad to read you worked on Firenze airport and I would certainly be more than glad to see the progress of your work.
I will try to complete Perugia airport (and Foligno airport too) although most of the credits are due to D-ECHO for his excellent job.
Happy new year to you and to all the FlightGear community, not to mention, to D-ECHO too. :D
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:50 pm: I worked recently on Firenze airport, but still lacks some city buildings and landmarks and i'm glad to see another italian airport developed.

New layout for Firenze airport (LIRQ) added to the repo :)
D-ECHO

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery