Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Placing objects with UFO

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Placing objects with UFO

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Hello,
I have a couple of questions about placing objects with the UFO. Firstly, I am unable to press Shift+L in the 'Select Model' panel to find my own directory. I have also downloaded an .ac file from https://scenery.flightgear.org/, but it doesn't appear in the 'Select Model' panel.
Secondly, I have downloaded a .skp file online and to place that object in FlightGear, it needs to be converted to a certain file. I don't have SketchUp, and I am unsure of how to convert this file. The FlightGear wiki also doesn't make it clear.

If anyone could give some suggestions or explanations, that would be very beneficial.

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Re: Placing objects with UFO

Postby xDraconian » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi Ivan-Pekar,

Take a look at the Aircraft Help dialog within the sim (via Help menu). It lists the commands that the UFO currently supports (Wiki may be outdated regarding hotkeys.)

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:19 pm:Firstly, I am unable to press Shift+L in the 'Select Model' panel to find my own directory

Use lowercase-L, you can browse to anywhere on your file system.

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:19 pm:I have also downloaded an .ac file from https://scenery.flightgear.org/, but it doesn't appear in the 'Select Model' panel

Use lowercase-L to load the model.

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:19 pm:Secondly, I have downloaded a .skp file online

Cannot be of help with this as I don't use Sketchup, but maybe James can provide some guidance. You can reach James via the Flightgear Developer mailing list <flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby VicMar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 am

Where did you download the .Skp file from? It must be GPL for FG to use it.
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Thank you very much xDraconian for your answers. I appreciate your help.

To VicMar, I downloaded the model from: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... vo-2?hl=en

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Postby VicMar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi Ivan,

Any download from the SketchUp 3D Warehouse will be copywrited by either the Warehouse owners (I think that's Trimble), or by the modeller.

Unless you have express permission from them and an assurance the model is licensed under GPL it cannot be used in FG scenery.

However, if you are only placing it in your FG version (as opposed to submitting it to the FG scenery data base) you do so at your own risk.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:37 pm

I see. Thank you, Vic. So, if I was to make my own model, what would I have to do to get it onto the data base?

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Postby VicMar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Hi Ivan,

1. Pick really a modelling system. SketchUp 2017 is a good one as it's free and at the end of the free trial, you can opt to continue using the free version rather than buy the expensive PRO version which has just a few extra bits (which you don't need for FG scenery models). Skp is probably the easiest one to learn. Just try the many videos in the Skp files and in Youtube. Play with it for a few days and you'll be surprised what you can do. There are quite a few of us who can help if you need it.

1a. Exporters from Skp to .ac can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wu7mwl2ywjk5 ... 7Wb8a?dl=0

2.Get as many images of the building you want to model as possible and try to find out any sizes/distances so you can model to scale.

3. Make sure you are not duplicating a model which has already been made and in FG scenery.

4. When your model is finished, follow the wiki about placing models with the ufo.

5. Use the appropriate form and submit your work to the data base.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. The only stupid questions are the ones no-one has asked.

Cheers,

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi Vic,
Thank you very much for your help. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute to FG Scenery.

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Postby flywisher » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:20 pm

VicMar, maybe you can help me too.

I have installed FG 2018.2.2 directly to C: (C:\flightgear2018.2.2) on a Win7 system. I had it d/l scenery for my local area. Now I want to add some buildings to an airport.
In the UFO's model list, I find that the hangers I used to see are all gone. The "Military" folder has only a Humvee.
So I went to "scenery.flightgear.org" and d/l'd a few buildings. They came in under meaningless filenames like "789.zip", so I renamed them to meaningful names and copied them to the "Military" folder under FG's folder. In the past, this always worked.

I re-started FG. The UFO does not "see" anything in the "Military" folder other than the original Humvee.

I checked the FG folder in my user area. There are folders for Airports, Custom Scenery and Terrasync. Nothing for models. Nothing in Custom Scenery.

I am confused. Do you know how to manually install downloaded models for FG to use?

Thanks.
flywisher

Callsign: flywisher

Postby VicMar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:26 pm

I'm not a code wizard, but it sounds like the alterations you make to your military folder are being overwritten when you next stsart FG.

If you want to fetch some models from the FG database of models you need to look at the top of the input form for 'Models'. All the available ones should be there.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby flywisher » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:29 pm

Thank you VicMar, for your quick reply.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I downloaded them from the FG database under "Models".
How about this approach: if you want to add a model from the database that does not appear in your UFO's list, how do you do it? Maybe I'm missing something (even though I've used FG for 20 years and many versions and done this many times before - but it didn't work this time).

Erick
flywisher

Postby xDraconian » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:55 am

@flywisher

You can load any model via the L-key (use lowercase L). This allows you to file browse to a folder of your choice and to load a model contained there.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby VicMar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:02 am

We might be thinking along different lines here.

Are you wanting to submit your added objects to the FG data base, or do you just want to add them to your own version of FG on your computer?

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby flywisher » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:55 pm

Thank you xDraconian. I'll do that.

VicMar, only my own local version. The models I tried to add came FROM FG's online database. But my local version doesn't see them - either online or when I d/l them and add them to the folder.

I'm curious that FG does not "see" models added to the Models folder(s) that it uses. Previous versions would parse the folder(s) when you opened the UFO's models list. I know because I've done it. This one doesn't seem to. It acts as if it has a separate list somewhere of what it thinks is in there.
flywisher

Postby VicMar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:36 pm

If you look on the FG launcher, there is an Add-ons section.

I suggest you put the downloaded models in a separate folder, then follow the instructions to point FG to that file the same as you would if you downloaded some of the custom scenery.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Next

Return to Scenery