Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Changing existing airports

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Changing existing airports

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Hello,
I am wondering whether it is possible to change an existing airport, i.e add a terminal building or hangar, and for it to be permanent? Is it also possible to add ILS to an airport if there wasn't any prior?
Finally, I have created some airports in WorldEditor, but the reply from the editors is 'tree incursion', yet I did not add any forests or trees onto the runway. Could somebody please help me with at least one of the queries?

Many thanks
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Re: Changing existing airports

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:51 pm

For the second question, you need to add an exclusion zone covering the airport with the filter set to forests, as otherwise X-Plane (but not FlightGear) will have trees generated on taxiways, etc.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby xDraconian » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:38 pm

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:42 pm:I am wondering whether it is possible to change an existing airport, i.e add a terminal building or hangar, ...?

Yes. Refer to http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Place_3D_objects_with_the_UFO

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:42 pm: and for it to be permanent?

Submit your change to the scenery database to make it permanent for all users is preferred. Refer to https://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submission/
If you just want to make it permanent for yourself, you need to make your changes to a local custom scenery folder and then declare this folder location via Launcher > Add-ons > Additional Scenery Folders.

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:42 pm:Is it also possible to add ILS to an airport if there wasn't any prior?

Yes. ILS definitions are located within folder TerraSync/Airports as ICAO.ils.xml files. e.g. For PHNL airport, look for TerraSync/Airports/P/H/N/PHNL.ils.xml
To avoid having TerraSync overwrite your changes, you will want to submit a request to have TerraSync updated with your change. Alternatively, make your changes to a local custom scenery folder and declare that folder within the Launcher.

Scott
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:09 am

hey scott... that ICAO.ils.xml will also work in any other location where you have airport definition files... mine reside in "mysceneryoverrides" and work fine... i don't know/remember if you have one in terrasync and one in overrides if both are used or one over the other... i think scenery stuff is blended so both would be used whereas with other things, like craft, only one is chosen and used...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby xDraconian » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:11 am

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:09 am:i think scenery stuff is blended so both would be used whereas with other things, like craft, only one is chosen and used...

@wkitty42, I cannot say for certain with ILS files, but I know for terrain files (e.g. BTG and STG files) it takes the first one it locates as it walks through the declared scenery folders.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:22 pm

To legoboyvdlp,
Do you know how I can add an exclusion zone?

To Scott,
Thank you very much for the answers. I appreciate that. So to add ILS I just have to insert a frequency in the TerraSync/Airports/(ICAO code)/ils.xml? And I will be able to make an ILS landing?

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:39 pm

xDraconian wrote in Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:11 am:but I know for terrain files (e.g. BTG and STG files) it takes the first one it locates as it walks through the declared scenery folders.

this may be why the order of listing directory locations is important...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:22 pm:So to add ILS I just have to insert a frequency in the TerraSync/Airports/(ICAO code)/ils.xml? And I will be able to make an ILS landing?

i don't know about the landing but yes, creating a properly formatted ils file is the answer... you should look at an existing one to get the form correct ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Ok, Thank you. I will try!
Ivan-Pekar

Return to Scenery