Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Jan Mayen

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Jan Mayen

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:53 pm

Jan Mayen is a Norwegian volcanic island situated in the Arctic Ocean, 600 km (370 mi) northeast of Iceland (495 km (305 mi) NE of Kolbeinsey), 500 km (310 mi) east of central Greenland and 1,000 km (620 mi) west of the North Cape, Norway.

Download now at github!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Re: Jan Mayen

Postby Thorsten » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:08 pm

It's a (great-looking) island - could go to TS (hint, hint!)
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Yes - I've a few issues to sort first though, including an airport about six feet above the rest of the island!
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Actually - are you interested in making Beerenberg an active volcano? It's mainly about placing particle systems in strategic locations, and I can tell you how to interface with the volcano system we have.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Beerenburg hasn't erupted for years apparently - as long as the default state is off, that would be good :)
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:59 pm

They all default to off - you have to switch them on as you get close if you want to see the show :D

I'll assemble a writeup tomorrow then (funny that - I actually never heard of Jan Mayen till I started to research volcanoes - then I came across it a few times).

Maybe go and visit Etna in the mean time - I believe we might need something like that (lava fountains, massive ash clouds,...)
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:06 pm

I still want to try to drape a mesh down a draw somewhere and see if we can get a lave flow.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby xDraconian » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:39 am

Nice work Jonathan! Looks awesome.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:02 pm

September 2018 - geologists detect renewed activity at Beerenberg.

Early October - activity intensifies and at night the glow of lava fountains can be seen from the crater.

Mid October - tremors shake the island as the volcano spews ash high into the sky. The island is evacuated.

Two days later - the mountain explodes in a cataclysmic event, spewing ash and lava high into the stratosphere.

Here is the download of the involved particle systems and Nasal control code. I guess the directory structure ought to be okay, but perhaps double-check just in case.

I've left a slot for a flank eruption - I thought someone might perhaps go through the code and adapt the main crater particle systems for a second lava fountain etc. - it's not difficult given the material as example, just a bit tedious, but a good opportunity to learn how to do your own volcano.

Wayne - lava flow would certainly be welcome.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Thanks Thorsten!
I'll add it, test it, and if it looks ok hopefully it can be added to FG_DATA :)

I'll test it with TerraSync as well - I'm not ready for this to go to TerraSync yet - I have to sort out some elevation problems first. If it looks fine under both TerraSync and the custom scenery, then it can go to FG_DATA sooner.
legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm seeing no eruption:

However, in the log I do see this:

Code: Select all
Ending Beerenberg ash eruption simulation.
Starting Beerenberg ash eruption simulation.
Starting Beerenberg lava fountain simulation.
Ending Beerenberg ash eruption simulation.
Starting Beerenberg ash eruption simulation.

Particles, ALS, and shaders are enabled, and I'm running yesterday's build with an updated $FG_DATA.

Using TerraSync, I see the ash. Perhaps the ash will not flow through terrain, so if the elevation changed with my scenery and it is "underground"?
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:55 pm

This is just Nasal and particle systems - if the Nasal code runs as it should (the console indicates that) and you're not getting any errors about wrong paths (I packaged manually...) you ought to see it (if particles aren't broken again in current...) - and it's customized to your scenery, not to TS.

So then the obvious question is whether you see other volcanoes, and if you do you need to reverse engineer from the particle systems why this particular one is different. I have no clue to offer otherwise, sorry.

(Actually, at full activity this should be impossible to miss regardless of where the source is placed - the plume is 70.000 ft high...)
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Not entirely sure what happened there, but when I reloaded it it worked - so we'll just hope it keeps working :mrgreen:
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:31 pm

I guess it's theoretically possible that geo.put model places the effects *before* the terrain loads and then they get to be at sea level. This normally should not happen because the init is deferred till the distance to site is smaller than the visibility, and the terrain should be loaded out to 'visibility plus a bit' and anyway the init condition is only checked sporadically, so there ought to be time (and an island should load fast anyway).

But... weird things do happen.

I can only put this up as a hypothesis, I've never seen it happen myself.
Thorsten

Return to Scenery