Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

For those updating Airports...........

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

For those updating Airports...........

Postby StuartC » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:50 pm

When updating airports, it may look nice to have aircraft parked in all the bays, but deadly to anyone who spawns in one of those occupied parking spots. It causes an instant crash and burn on spawning.
Please stop it or find a way to remove the scenery aircraft when someone chooses the spot to spawn on.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Re: For those updating Airports...........

Postby Alant » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:33 am

Agreed, but....

This is probably better raised on the developers mail list.

Anther solution would be to prohibit spawning on on already occupied parking bay. Perhaps there are more........ ?

Best bought to the attention of the relevant developer who can hopefully come up with a solution.

Failing that ~ get someone to dive in to the code come up with a patch, AFAIK that is how the project works, It is called collaboration, but in this type of opensource, free project neither the leadership nor the path forward are well defined.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:10 am

I suggest no static aircraft on minor airports because of just few spawning spots. For big airports I can place some but i deactivate that spawning spot to avoid crash. Only place static aircraft if there're enough free spots. Which airport do you have that problem?
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby V12 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Another solution - when spawning at occupied stand, remove AI aircraft from that position...
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby statto » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Stuart,

Would you mind terribly noting the airport/parking bay/time so I can try and recreate the problem?

Thanks!
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:23 am

Please try to see a somewhat broader perspective:

Yes, it is annoying if you start at one of the two dozen airports which are really well developed and die instantly.

But - there's still ~19.500 airports in the world where this won't happen - because they're completely empty.

Which tells to me that our real problem is most emphatically not having airports overpopulated with models, it's lack of models throughout the world. So discouraging submitters seems a bad strategy to address the real problem to me.

I for one enjoy seeing aircraft parked here and there when I happen to hit a developed airport (which is rare enough...) and I am grateful for the work that went into making that and hope people will continue to make the scenery more interesting. And should we ever come to the point that overcrowded airports are a real issue, this definitely looks like an automated solution during startup might be feasible.

So if one parking spot doesn't work, smile that you've found one of the few well-developed airports, try a different one or a different airport and fly in :D
Thorsten

Postby Catalanoic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:32 am

I proposed a solution, if you guys find a problematic parking spot tell us here detailing airport and parking number/label, it only takes minutes to move/remove something and resubmit it again to TS. On the other hand I take care of that but its impossible or enormous amount of work to check maybe 100K spots on the existing FG scenery,
Catalanoic

Postby ThomasS » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:16 am

Is there a preferred way for populating airports with aircraft? Say from the two options

a) add static aircrafts
b) define AI traffic for that airport (eventually just fictitious)

Which one should be preferred? Or isn't there any priority?

Regards

Thomas
ThomasS

Version: 2018.2.1

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:47 pm

I don't think is there a preferred way, both options work to populate airports, an advanced AI traffic system would be more complete not just sitting and lefting an airport but people working around, baggage uploading, passengers, etc, but static objects do the work now, So my opinion is if the airport is big enough to fit one or more static aircrafts is ok, but take into account ai traffic aircraft populating free parking spots need to be clear (at start) when an user comes or spawn on it, if you've static aircraft there (plus smaller objects like passenger buses, cones, people working, etc) it will eventually crash or not fit with some plane sizes so best solution is to disable that working parking spot on airport ai traffic .xml file but as i recommend (really a must), keep free spots availible for both AI and FG users depending of the airport.
Catalanoic

Postby Timi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:25 pm

I had this problem at PHTO. _All_ the available helipads defined as parking spaces were vacated by static models.
And the only helipad empty was not available as a parking space. You can see that in about 8 min 16 s into the
video below:
Timi

Callsign: Jaeger
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:36 pm

I see, too many helis and only 1 parking there but seems (in the scenery database) that some helis are removed and the spot is free, i just spawned ther and i've the same result as in your video so i think i've an old copy of the tile, try to update it. On the other hand the groundnet isn't complete, so i think somebody can do it or at least modify the groundnet file and add more spots.
Catalanoic

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:36 pm:I see, too many helis and only 1 parking there but seems (in the scenery database) that some helis are removed and the spot is free, i just spawned ther and i've the same result as in your video so i think i've an old copy of the tile, try to update it.

Actually I did remove the helis on the parking spots from TS after noticing the issue during an FGUK FlightNight over there.
Cheers, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Thanks Mav, we've now 3 heli parking spots (currently 2 but i added one more in front of these 6-array heli parkings), and i want to add more airliner spots next to the terminal (currently only 1), and then i'll reupdate the file to TS :o
Catalanoic

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:26 am

i'm guessing these are accurate RL spaces and there's also a good groundnet, too??
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby MickeySkooter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:51 am

Amazed at the skill you have flying the heli. Must take a special joystick, pedals and the whole list of equipment. 3d glasses? Wow.
SteveO
MickeySkooter

Callsign: NC3110
Version: 2017.3.1

Next

Return to Scenery