Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Active volanoes  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Active volanoes

Postby swampthing » Sun May 13, 2018 10:12 am

My question is. How does this work in Flightgear? Are certain volcanoes modeled in to work preset or is there data gathered to know which ones are active and which ones are not? I've looked At USGS and other sites for active volcanoes but got activity when I flew to them, the drop box was blank. The ones in Hawaii look very nice but are these the only ones?
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Re: Active volanoes

Postby wlbragg » Sun May 13, 2018 8:30 pm

I don't know how many volcanoes Thorsten programed, but they are limited. If a listing doesn't show up in the drop-down then there is no volcano programed near that location.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Michat » Sun May 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Stromboli and Etna have been checked in my company (very South Italy).
Vesubio near Naples and mount Fuji in Japan have been non tested yet.

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby swampthing » Mon May 14, 2018 5:23 am

OK I assumed they were modelled. There is quite a list of volcanoes. I didn't know if information came in from say USGS kind of like metar controls live weather or if some were just modelled.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 14, 2018 5:55 am

I'm not sure how you imagine a volcano to 'just work' based on METAR-like info, given that the visuals have to be closely matched into the terrain. Anyway, there's a long discussion about the how and why of automatically fetching info vs. user action on the mailing list you can read up if you're interested in.

And the list of currently implemented volcanoes reaches only to three - Etna, Stromboli and Kilauea. I have vague plans to do a few more in Iceland and then eventually suggest Keflavik as default airport for a future release - right now active volcanoes are a proof of concept and any modeler is welcome to study it and implement it in his area.
Thorsten

Postby swampthing » Mon May 14, 2018 9:41 am

I didn't think it would be possible but I never say anythings impossible. As soon as would imply that, someone would say I was stupid for thinking they were modeled. The answer of the 3 that are implemented is sufficient. I'll save the mailing list for you all. Too much for my eyes.
www.opredflag.com
swampthing

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:59 pm

With FGUK I've recently visited Kilauea and Etna on my own (will come back with FGUK this Saturday) and I must say that it's really impressive. Great job on them!
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Return to Scenery