Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

KLSV Tower, KXTA tower  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

KLSV Tower, KXTA tower

Postby tsx2006 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi,
could someone point me in the right direction.
I have the "effect" that at KLSV and KXTA the Towerposition is extremly high. It was, as I recall, just above the tower. The position is right though.

Do I have to create my own klsv.twr.xml file? Where is the definition where the tower position is defined?

I hope someone can help.

Thanx

Harro
Grumman F-14b "Tomcat", North American T-2 "Buckeye", Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird",
Cessna 172 "Skyhawk", Cessna 152
tsx2006

Callsign: habu01
Version: 2019.1.1

Re: KLSV Tower, KXTA tower

Postby tsx2006 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:56 pm

I found the apt.dat.gz file and the value for the tower therein but the value there is the one I figured out it should be.

I'm at loss.

Harro
Grumman F-14b "Tomcat", North American T-2 "Buckeye", Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird",
tsx2006

Postby tsx2006 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:16 pm

O.k.
I figured it out. In the apt.dat.gz file the postion of the airport itself and the tower postion are added and thus the tower view point is extremely hight. I just have to find an editor that can edit a 103 MB file notepad++ is crashing.
Harro
tsx2006

Postby wkitty42 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:31 pm

don't edit the apt.dat file... instead, maybe try using the NavDat override capability...

in your "myflightgear/myscenery" private scenery directory, create a directory called "NavDat"... inside that one, another directory named "apt"...

~/myflightgear/myscenery/NavDat/apt

now, in the above directory, create the file KLSV.dat and copy the contents of the KLSV section in apt.dat into the file... make your edits and then start FG...

~/myflightgear/myscenery/NavDat/apt/KLSV.dat

since you should have FG already looking at your "myflightgear/myscenery" directory for your custom scenery, it will also look there for this NavDat override... if it works, FG will rebuild the navcache file when it starts up... this will appear similar to what it does when you upgrade from one version to another... you should be able to see evidence of this rebuilding as well as the inclusion of the KLSV.dat file in the FG log file...

once you have the position figured correctly, check on the x-plane gateway and see if it is the same there... if it is not, maybe submit a change there so it can be included in the next apt.dat update and scenery build...

the only other thing i wonder is if the tower height is based on AGL or ASL ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Catalanoic » Tue May 01, 2018 10:39 pm

I've wondered that tower object was misplaced but its just tower viewing point, if you're in Windows just create localy "KLSV.twr.xml" at "C:\Users\USER_X\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync\Airports\K\L\S" and add:

Code: Select all
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1'?>
<PropertyList>
  <tower>
    <twr>
      <lon>DESIRED COORD LONGITUDE</lon>
      <lat>DESIRED COORD LATITUDE</lat>
      <elev-m>DESIRED ELEVATION IN METERS</elev-m>
    </twr>
  </tower>
</PropertyList>
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:55 am

if you put that file in TerraSync and update your scenery with the in-sim TerraSync or some external scenery update tools, the file will be removed because it is not on the terrasync servers... you should put it in your custom scenery directory in a similar fashion as i described higher above... the one i described above is based on the OP's desire to use the information in apt.dat... to do the twr file, one would create

~/myflightgear/myscenery/Airports/K/L/S

and put the KLSV.twr.xml file in the 'S' directory...

FWIW: this removal of unofficial files is another example of why custom mods should not be placed in official FG managed directories... they should be placed in the proper directories allowed for them...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Scenery