Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

X-Plane Gateway  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: X-Plane Gateway

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Thank you, WoodSTokk. I understand all the steps, but like you I am confused why I don't have USMM.apt.dat.gz (I only have USMM.apt.dat and USMM.btg.gz)
When you download the file from the web airport generator, where do you extract it to?

Thanks
Ivan-Pekar

Postby WoodSTokk » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:10 pm

I dont have the files. I have only added two fake lines in the apt.dat.gz.
Can you upload your files everywhere and post the link, please? Then i can download it and try to include it on my installation.

But normaly you must:
drop the USMM.btg.gz in the directory {local_scenery_dir}/Terrain/e070n60/e072n65/.
add the line 'OBJECT USMM.btg' in the file {local_scenery_dir}/Terrain/e070n60/e072n65/4138713.stg
copy all lines from 'USMM.apt.dat.gz' (without header and footer) to the end of file apt.dat.gz (but before footer)

remember that 'gz' files are compressed. You must first uncompress it, change it and at the end compress the apt.dat again.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Yes, of course:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsMRiJL9TRvEgYBjjBDXrDriTFUReA
(from OneDrive)

Thank you
Ivan-Pekar

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Works as i have said.
The map in the launcher/location:
The map in the sim:
And, as i have said, the airport is there, but the terrain have no hole for it.
In wireframe mode we can see that the full airport is there, but partially under ground:

Include the airport data to apt.dat.gz:
1) uncompress the apt.dat.gz file (result in apt.dat file)
2) open your USMM.apt.dat file
3) copy only the airport date (the airport definition starts at line with index 1 and ends at line with index 19 in your case)
4) open the apt.dat, go to the end and insert the copied data befor line with index 99 (this is the footer)
5) save and close the apt.dat file
6) compress the apt.dat file (result in apt.dat.gz file)

Place the 3d model in scenery:
1 ) create your own local terrain directory (name it as example 'TerraLocal')
2 ) inside the new directory ('TerraLocal') create a new directory with name 'Terrain'
3 ) inside the directory 'Terrain' create a new directory with name 'e070n60'
4 ) inside the directory 'e070n60' create a new directory with name 'e072n65'
5 ) place your USMM.btg.gz in the directory 'e072n65'
6 ) copy the files 4138713.stg and 4138713.btg.gz from the original location to the directory 'e072n65'
7 ) open the file 4138713.stg with a text editor
8 ) add the line 'OBJECT USMM.btg' to the 4138713.stg file
9 ) save and close the 4138713.stg file
10) open FG with the launcher
11) go to the 'Add-ons' tab
12) add your own local terrain directory to 'Additional scenery folders' section

I have also see that you have added windsocks and signs in the airport.
This will not work in this way. Such objects will be added with a xml file in the airport directory
I dont know if there is a simple method to extract this object from the USMM.apt.dat, but i think its also simple by hand.
WoodSTokk

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 pm

WoodSTok, thank you so much for the information you have provided. But I don't have USMM.apt.dat.gz. When I pressed 'Export Scenery Package' in World Editor, I only had apt.dat. Where do you find USMM.apt.dat.gz?
Secondly, how do I compress the apt.dat file? Also, what do you mean by 'airport date'?

Thank you,
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 pm:WoodSTok, thank you so much for the information you have provided. But I don't have USMM.apt.dat.gz. When I pressed 'Export Scenery Package' in World Editor, I only had apt.dat. Where do you find USMM.apt.dat.gz?

Sorry, then i have missunderstood anything. In this case, copy the airport data from the apt.dat file that you receive on export.
The apt.dat file on your GoogleDrive is exactly what i mean. They include only your airport.

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 pm:Secondly, how do I compress the apt.dat file? Also, what do you mean by 'airport date'?

I'm on Linux and do the following for decompressing (as root, because FG is installed systemwide):
Code: Select all
cd /usr/share/games/flightgear/Airports
gzip -d apt.dat.gz

For compressing I do (also as root):
Code: Select all
cd /usr/share/games/flightgear/Airports
gzip apt.dat

If you are on Windows, i assume you can choose the type of archive in the compression program. Your choise should be 'gz' or 'gzip'.

The airport data are the lines out of the file apt.dat from the export.
WoodSTokk

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Thank you, WoodSTokk. So, now I have two files apt.dat and apt.dat.gz (it managed to work). What do I do with them now? Where do I put them? FlightGear doesn't "know" about these files.

Thanks
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Postby WoodSTokk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 am

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:40 pm:Thank you, WoodSTokk. So, now I have two files apt.dat and apt.dat.gz (it managed to work). What do I do with them now? Where do I put them? FlightGear doesn't "know" about these files.

Flightgear has his own apt.dat.gz.
On Linux this file is under '/usr/share/games/flightgear/Airports/'.
On Windows it should be 'C:\Program files\Flightgear\Airports\' (or similarly).
You must decompress this file and add the relevant lines to it at the end, but before footer (index 99).
Then compress it again and start flightgear.

Hint: make a backup from the original file for worst case.
WoodSTokk

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:10 pm

I see. Thank you.
But I would also like to ask:
I have now successfully uploaded many airports (many of which have been 'Approved' i.e. in green and recommended, e.g ULWW, USMU) but they are still not found in the start-up. I have also searched for many other airports (created by others), which are on the gateway and also approved, but not in FlightGear Scenery nor possible to search for in the start-up. Why? What needs to happen so that I finally can fly at my airport??!!

WoodSTokk, here is a video of all the first steps you have in your instructions. Please could you have a look at what's wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICIyepzjyBA
(Sorry it cut short at the end - when compressed, it resulted in apt.dat.gz in the same location and I just replaced it).

Thanks
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Postby rominet » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi,

There is a much better way than modifying apt.dat.gz in $FG_ROOT/Navaids. You may put any number of .dat and/or .dat.gz files in the NavData/apt/ subfolder of each scenery path (e.g., a custom scenery folder). You may even use a scenery folder that contains nothing more than, e.g., NavData/apt/LFPO.dat, if this file contains the only change you want to test. Such files are easier to maintain than modifications to FG's apt.dat.gz, and won't be overwritten when you upgrade FG.

What happens if the same airport appears several times among the various apt.dat[.gz] files? There is a precedence order described here for processing the apt.dat[.gz] files, and airports found in earlier files(*) take precedence over those found later, in case several apt.dat files define the same airports.

The same type of customization is also available for fixes and navaids (see here).

(*) using 1) FG_SCENERY order (followed by $FG_ROOT/Airports/apt.dat.gz) and 2) lexicographic order inside each $scenery_path/NavData/apt folder.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Thank you, rominet. I don't have apt.dat.gz in data/Navaids. I'll explore your method later, as soon as I find out how WoodSTokk's works!
Ivan-Pekar

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:55 am

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:10 pm:I see. Thank you.
But I would also like to ask:
I have now successfully uploaded many airports (many of which have been 'Approved' i.e. in green and recommended, e.g ULWW, USMU) but they are still not found in the start-up. I have also searched for many other airports (created by others), which are on the gateway and also approved, but not in FlightGear Scenery nor possible to search for in the start-up. Why? What needs to happen so that I finally can fly at my airport??!!

New airports from the X-Plane Gateway will only appear in the FG scenery when the world scenery is regenerated.
The team works very hard to eliminate old bugs in the tool chain and will build a new world scenery if all works okay.
But the build process of the world take several months.
So the only way to see and use the new airports now is to add it on your local computer.

Ivan-Pekar wrote in Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:10 pm:WoodSTokk, here is a video of all the first steps you have in your instructions. Please could you have a look at what's wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICIyepzjyBA
(Sorry it cut short at the end - when compressed, it resulted in apt.dat.gz in the same location and I just replaced it).

I see that your path is 'C:\Users\ivpek\Documents\FlightGear\data\Airports\'.
Have you installed FlightGear in your home directory? And the directory 'data' is also odd. On my computer, the directory 'Airports' is directly located under 'flightgear'.

Anyway, i have now tested the logic from rominet and it works (thx rominet, i havn't know that).
For that, it is best to rename your 'apt.dat' (which include the airport USMM) to 'USMM.dat'.
Make a new directory for own datas (if you not have it allready).
As example, i have a directory 'TerraLocal' in my home directory.
Inside create a new directory 'NavData' and inside this a new one named 'apt'.
Move your USMM.dat inside this 'apt' directory.

Now, start the launcher and go to 'Add-ons'.
In the section 'Additional scenery folders' add your new directory.
On my computer it is '/home/woodstokk/.fgfs/TerraLocal'.
Now, the laucher should found the added airport.
WoodSTokk

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:34 pm

WoodSTokk, I have the USMM.dat file in this location:

Documents\FG Scenery\TerraLocal\NavData\apt\USMM.dat

I changed the Additional Scenery Folder in Add-ons.
Still 'No matches for USMM'

Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Close the launcher and open up again. It should be there.
Whats your FG version? I have 2018.2.2 and it works great.
The fix is from March 2017, so it should work from version 2017.2 upward.
I have no clue why its not working on your side.
WoodSTokk

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:25 pm

I also have 2018.2.2. I have this screen on add-ons:

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery