Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

why can't i see all buildings at EGLL from 20nm?  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

why can't i see all buildings at EGLL from 20nm?

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:55 am

i'm bringing this here from a discord server... for two reasons, actually... one is for a more permanent record and the other is to get more feed back from others that may know a/the answer and not be on the discord server where i first posted... so here we go...
-------------------------
i'm trying to figure out why i cannot see all the buildings at EGLL from 22 nm... i can see most of the buildings except the tower and the large one to the east (right side) between the runways and closer to 09R/27L that has parking around it... in the past it has been found that, for some reason, folks have had an xml file for some building and they have gone in and set an artificial viewing distance limitation... i can't find one for this building, though... it looks like the building is defined in the EGLL.btg.gz in Terrain... the tower is in Objects, though... so i don't understand (1) why folks artifically limit the distance an object can be seen from and (2) why i cannot see the tower and the building at the east end of the closest runway in the following picture...

the arrow is pointing to where the eastern building is located that i'm talking about not seeing from this distance... the FOV is about 8 degrees... straight line distance from this altitude is about 22 nm...

i've moved in to about 18nm and some more OSM buildings closer to me have popped in... i'm moving on in until that building i'm talking about shows up...
it pops in at 17.5nm distance... hang on while i get another screen shot...

-------------------------
believe it or not, i'm actually hovering over EGKK... well, i was until i moved closer to EGLL to get the building to pop into view... the view angle also dropped me to 12000 feet from 15000 where i had been while over EGKK... this was/is not a cloud or weather limited visibility problem... while i can now see the building i was talking about, i still cannot see the control tower...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: why can't i see all buildings at EGLL from 20nm?  

Postby Necolatis » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 am

Isn't that controlled by the detailed/rough LOD settings?
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:31 am

yes, those LOD settings should be in play... apparently something is not right, though... why would close buildings pop in as i moved closer when i can see others that are the same distance as well as ones that are further?? it just makes no sense to me... if i can see one building/object at 10nm, i should be able to see all of them that are that distance or closer... they should not be popping in and out as i move closer and back...

anyway, here's my LOD settings as fed to the sim from the launcher...
Code: Select all
# the following distance numbers are based on the horizon distance of 369km @ 35000ft altitude
# visibility 370000 takes fgfs up to ~9.5G of RAM usage with these current settings
# visibility 150000 takes fgfs up to ~4G of RAM usage with these current settings
#--visibility=370000
#--prop:/local-weather/config/ground-haze-factor=370
#--prop:/sim/rendering/clouds3d-vis-range=370000

# double paged LOD - default is only 200
#--prop:/sim/rendering/max-paged-lod=400

# set AI viewing to pixel mode at zero pixels to see them soonest
#--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/ai-detailed=0
#--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/ai-range-mode-pixel=1
# set AI viewing to LOD mode at 45km to see them roughly 25nm out
# 92.6km for 50nm
--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/ai-detailed=92600
--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/ai-range-mode-pixel=0

#default LOD settings
--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/detailed=1500
#--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/rough=9000
#--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/bare=30000

# my testing LOD settings
--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/rough=30000
--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/bare=150000

as you can tell, we can see the AI craft at the airport... if they're working, the objects should be, too... maybe i need to try going back to my max-paged-lod of 400 which is twice the default?? or maybe i need to increase my LOD rough setting? 17.5nm is 32410 meters and 40744 meters... since LOD is in meters, maybe... but wait... why can i see all the other buildings at EGLL and just not the tower and this building (plus others) on the east side? they should show up on bare like the others we can see...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wlbragg » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:55 pm

Is it possible the buildings in question have individual LOD's overriding?

Once loaded if you back away and come back does the odd behavior still exist?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:57 pm

the LOD overrides is what i was speaking of when referencing the xml... i do not see anything obvious that would be for that building... sometimes just zooming the POV in and out makes things change... or looking away and then back (spin left and then spin back right)... i'm using the UFO so hovering is very easy ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Scenery