Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Icy airports in the desert  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Icy airports in the desert

Postby swampthing » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:43 am

I made a flight last night from KSTL, where it actually was cold with light snow but had terrain over parts of runways and taxiways. Anyway I take off and get to my destination KPHX and the airport in Phoenix AZ is covered ice yet it was over 50 degrees F. And I had it set to summer. Does anyone know what is causing this?

Thanks in advance
Steve
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Re: Icy airports in the desert

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 am

are you using AW and live METARs? one of the options in Environment->environment settings is to set the snow level from the METAR...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 am

Snowcover isn't tightly correlated with temperature - if there's enough snow to begin with, it might last for two weeks with temperatures being above freezing point. Or there might be no snow with temperatures well below zero. The actual snowcover to render depends on the local weather history (which FG can't know) and hence the automatic function is bound to guess wrong fairly often.

Which is why we have a slider to adjust snowcover.
Thorsten

Postby swampthing » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:19 am

Yes I use live weather wkitty42 and I haven't adjusted the snow levels, I do have advanced weather settings, terrain,effects, terrain presampling, generate thermals and cloud shadows but I have not moved any sliders there I looked at recent weather and it has been 80's during the day and high 40s-50s F at night and no snow/ :) I don't know what could be causing it. I am using a nightly from 3 or 4 days ago but I wouldn't think it would caused this problem. Never the less, I just spawned in at KPHX and it seems to be as it should.

Thorsten there is a slider for turbulence and by default it is set closer to strong but I haven't experienced any turbulence that I have noticed. Does this function work? I only want it to be realistic as the METAR can make it. Any suggestions here? Should I leave the sliders alone? As far as the ice problem I guess we mark this as solved since there is none at KPHX as I am typing this.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Postby Thorsten » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:08 am

Thorsten there is a slider for turbulence and by default it is set closer to strong but I haven't experienced any turbulence that I have noticed. Does this function work?

It did last time I checked, but it doesn't generate turbulence on its own, it multiplies it when AW generates some (underneath a T-Storm is usually a good place to look - I've tried to land a Shuttle in a T-Storm last fall, and it was basically impossible) - the reason for the slider is that the same value of turbulence magnitude affects YaSim and JSBSim craft differently so some user input is required.
Thorsten

Postby swampthing » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:41 am

OK thanks.
www.opredflag.com
swampthing

Return to Scenery