Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

PHNL - Honolulu

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: PHNL - Honolulu

Postby xDraconian » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 am

statto wrote in Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:54 am:It'd probably be very easy to clean the artifacts in GRASS if you're looking for help there.

I welcome the help. Thank you Statto. Anything you can do to clean up the bucket boundaries would be very helpful.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby statto » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Sounds good. Send me a link to the shapefiles and I'll make it happen.

If you want to regenerate the rest of Hawaii at the same time I can probably solve that pretty quickly as well without using the .btg software; should not be that hard to regenerate the files.

The difference with Oahu is that there is a significant amount of hand-drawn scenery at very high resolution. The other islands don't have this.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:17 am

Please test elevation mesh for other islands - the waterfalls I've place in Hawaii are sort of fragile because they're crafted into the mesh, and if Kauai, Maui or Molokai come out differently, the waterfalls will be submerged and have to be re-done (and I'd hate to get that broken in the release version).
Thorsten

Postby xDraconian » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:59 pm

statto wrote in Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 pm:Sounds good. Send me a link to the shapefiles and I'll make it happen.

Appreciate it Statto. Shapefiles can be found here...
https://sourceforge.net/p/xdraconian-fgscenery/code/ci/master/tree/Honolulu/data/
xDraconian

Postby statto » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 am

Looking at the shapefiles, this is a tremendous piece of work but there still seem to be some problems with roads; in particular 400250_Freeway. Which folder should I be using? I picked "Hawaii"
statto

Postby xDraconian » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:53 am

Hi Statto,

The merged files are in Honolulu/data/.

I suspect it to be easier to discard the Freeway and Road shapefiles and just use fresh line data. Ideally, those freeway/road "holes" should be eliminated/collapsed down to the underlying landclass.

If you free this is a "tremendous" amount of work then I can handle it myself. I'm tempted to try to do more cleanup before the shapefile creation to eliminate some of the post-processing editing.
In the current state of the files, I see it as a bunch of v.clean & v.dissolve operations with GRASS.

Did you have any other post-processing ideas?
xDraconian

Postby xDraconian » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 am

Tonight I cleaned up layers Marsh, Lake, and Sand. Changes pushed to the code repo.
xDraconian

Postby xDraconian » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:25 am

Today I cleaned up layers Airport, Asphalt, Canal, Dirt, GolfCourse, MixedCrop, and Stream. Changes committed to repo.
xDraconian

Postby statto » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:46 am

Will take another look. It appeared as if there were a number of layers which had "lines" along boundary edges.

I can easily not import Road/Freeway layers and regenerate the files if I can get them imported properly.
statto

Postby xDraconian » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:34 am

Cleaning of the shapefiles is complete. Terrain regeneration completed. Ready for TerraSync.

TODO: Groundnet, Shared/Static Model placement.
xDraconian

Postby statto » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Is this solved? I've been flat out recently.

Also are the hangars still there on the east side of the airport?
statto

Postby Catalanoic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:57 pm

xDraconian wrote in Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:34 am:TODO: Groundnet, Shared/Static Model placement.

Relating to 3d work, i made something 8) , i think it will be on TS before 2018.1 release
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby xDraconian » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:32 am

Catalanoic wrote in Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:57 pm:Relating to 3d work, i made something 8) , i think it will be on TS before 2018.1 release

Awesome!

statto wrote in Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm:Is this solved? I've been flat out recently.

Shapefiles and Terrain is done. I made some improvements to the coastline. Used fresh data from OSM for roads and streams.
I'm not doing any more work with the terrain since Torsten is likely to use his new version.

Many new objects placed around the island (e.g. wind turbines, cranes, etc.)
All the files are in my repo (CustomScenery folder) if you want to have a test run.

Didn't have time to fully rework the groundnet. AI follows the taxiways and runways fine, but things are messy near the terminals.

xDraconian

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:04 am

Really nice job!
Quick question: has the Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Field been added too in terms of 2D layout? It's the annexed military area sharing same runways.
Cheers, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:43 pm

i really really really hope that someone is fixing the groundnet for PHNL... all of the parking spaces are named "A11" and that's just wrong :( it would be good to get the new groundnet into terrasync before the release so it can be tested and worked with... i've been looking for it since PHNL was decided to be the next default airport but i've not said anything openly about it... there's only six days left before the release if everything flows together properly... files like the groundnet can be updated at any time in terrasync... i'm not sure how the default airport blob is made... whether it is from terrasync contents or some other method... it'll probably need to be remade anyway with new changes...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery