Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

PHNL - Honolulu

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

PHNL - Honolulu

Postby xDraconian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 am

As many of you are aware, Honolulu was voted to be the default airport for release 2018.1. Due to a lack of access to most of the world scenery shapefiles, generating new scenery for Honolulu and O'ahu appears to be a large undertaking.

In an effort toward mitigating the missing shapefile problem, I've spent some time over the last few weeks producing a script to regenerate shapefiles from available terrain (*.btg) files. There are still a few issues to resolve, but the results are looking pretty good.

Since my time has been invested in producing this script, I've spent no time actually modeling anything for Honolulu.

I'd like to share these "draft" shapefiles and PHNL.dat (apt.dat) with other scenery modelers in case there is interest in generating a new island mesh and airport. Be aware that there are rounding errors along bucket boundaries so the generated terrain may have some artifacts (haven't actual done this myself yet).

Files can be accessed via https://sourceforge.net/projects/xdraconian-fgscenery/

xDraconian
xDraconian

Version: Git

Re: PHNL - Honolulu

Postby wlbragg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:05 pm

I would be interested in the script that does this. Maybe you would consider adding it to fgmeta?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby statto » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:43 am

I would be interested in the script as well.

I also have a GRASS script that you can use which uses the NOAA land cover as inputs - however this hasn't been updated in quite some time (2005).
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby xDraconian » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks for the interest. I'll be sharing the scripts once I work out a few bugs. Will announce here when it is available.
xDraconian

Postby xDraconian » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:46 pm

Here's a few images taken during the first test of regenerated Honolulu scenery.

xDraconian

Postby drR0ckso » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:31 pm

While you're at it... Hilo (PHTO/ITO) is the only other international airport on the islands. If both are re-build/re-rendered, then the islands are done for most pilots.
I speak only for myself.
drR0ckso

Postby xDraconian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:02 am

Hilo is on the main island, so it is not a current priority. Rebuilding O'ahu is already a significant amount of work.
xDraconian

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:52 am

Quick question - does this affect the height mesh in any way? Otherwise it looks pretty good for the airport, this is quite an improvement!
Thorsten

Postby xDraconian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 am

The script only reads the mesh data - no modification to the BTG itself. After producing the shapefiles, I ran it through the normal TerraGear tools.
xDraconian

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:07 am

Did you contact TorstenD already about putting the result on Terrasync?
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:47 pm

xDraconian wrote in Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:12 pm:Thanks for the interest. I'll be sharing the scripts once I work out a few bugs. Will announce here when it is available.

i think this script will be a huge thing for recovering the shape files that are no longer(??) available... i think it would be a good thing to get it into FGMeta at least... even in its current form... then it can be updated later just like in any other repo ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Torsten » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi

Thorsten just pointed out this thread to me, sorry for not noticing it by myself.

Adding a self contained island to terrasync is fairly easy and I'd be happy to copy the files over to the master server.
All I need is a download link to the compiled "Terrain" folder with all btg, stg etc. files

Just one - probably stupid - question that has to be asked:
Are all the used data sources and the resulting files compatible with our GPL license?

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby statto » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:39 am

The shapefiles are a derivative work of the terrain that's already in TerraSync, so yes, of course they're GPL compliant.
statto

Postby xDraconian » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:49 am

Torsten wrote in Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:52 pm:Just one - probably stupid - question that has to be asked:
Are all the used data sources and the resulting files compatible with our GPL license?
Torsten

statto wrote in Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:39 am:The shapefiles are a derivative work of the terrain that's already in TerraSync, so yes, of course they're GPL compliant.

Yes, as Statto correctly stated, the shapefiles have been "extracted" from the existing Terrain data and then regenerated with a fresh HGT file set using the TerraGear tools. So it's GPLv2+ compliant content.

There's a little bit of work remaining before pushing this to TS.
The shapefiles require a little more cleanup to remove artifacts along bucket boundaries and then another regeneration of the terrain mesh.
I noticed that the ground network also requires some adjustment to eliminate aircraft taxiing through the airport keep.
I haven't yet checked whether ILS routes are correct (AI departures seem to be working) or whether the road/freeway network was generated correctly.
I'll try to have a working draft for you this weekend.

Call for help...
I'm not aware of any active modeling of buildings, terminals, etc. to further enhance the airport. I'm still hopeful to do a bit of modeling once the regeneration is complete. Would also be great to get several modelers collaborating on enhancing props.

If anyone wants to correct the ground network (apt.dat already shared) that would allow me to stay focused on completing the terrain mesh.
xDraconian

Postby statto » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:54 am

It'd probably be very easy to clean the artifacts in GRASS if you're looking for help there.
statto

Next

Return to Scenery