Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Updated NTAA Scenery

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Updated NTAA Scenery

Postby BecOzIcan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 pm

New Terrain Tile
New Airport Layout
New Groundnet

Airport Layout reworked from x-plane scenery gateway,using WED and wedomaker 2..2
RWY & NAV data from http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr
Shapefile Data from OSM with minimum rework in QGIS. Roads limited to Primary and Secondary only (and related junctions)

Pack does NOT include any other Island in the Society Archipelago as QGIS is missing most coastline data
No buildings either as the Fret Building is under renovation and the Main Terminal is due for renovation next year

The Lagoon / Reef material could really use some TLC, interesting example and PNG in the Moorea thread : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15695&hilit=moorea

Download Link : HERE

Cheers
Ian

Current Projects: AI Traffic, Models & Liveries
BecOzIcan

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Updated NTAA Scenery

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:14 pm

Great scenery work @BecOzIcan! :D Are you aware that I've already done a custom scenery for NTAA?
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-SCENERY/Tahiti
Maybe we can work together to generate one better scenery?
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Also, how did you create the ILS, threshold and tower files? I found out how to generate the groundnet files using dlaser's fg tools, but how to create the rest?
D-ECHO

Postby BecOzIcan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:22 pm

D-ECHO wrote in Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:14 pm:Great scenery work @BecOzIcan! :D Are you aware that I've already done a custom scenery for NTAA?
Maybe we can work together to generate one better scenery?

Interesting I found no trace of a reference to another NTAA in either the forums nor the wiki ... I believe the only piece left is the Lagoon/Reef material but I have no experience with these

Cheers
Ian
BecOzIcan

Postby BecOzIcan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:24 pm

D-ECHO wrote in Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:15 pm:Also, how did you create the ILS, threshold and tower files? I found out how to generate the groundnet files using dlaser's fg tools, but how to create the rest?

Groundnet is taxidraw, all navigation data from the AIP published by French Civil Aviation autorities (SIA) as indicated in the first post. TWR height is from original WED file, Lat/Lon updated from OSM data

Cheers
Ian
BecOzIcan

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:40 pm

BecOzIcan wrote in Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:22 pm:
Interesting I found no trace of a reference to another NTAA in either the forums nor the wiki

Yeah, blame it on me, I probably only announced it on Discord, if at all

Groundnet is taxidraw, all navigation data from the AIP published by French Civil Aviation autorities (SIA) as indicated in the first post. TWR height is from original WED file, Lat/Lon updated from OSM data

Thanks!
D-ECHO

Postby BecOzIcan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Giving a go at Regional Texturing for the Reef/Lagoon. First attempt ever but quite happy with my first steps (no effect, no parameters, no nothing but a simple png)

BecOzIcan

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:51 pm

This is likely problematic because most people would want to render this with a water shader - for which we'd need a custom version.
Thorsten

Postby stuart » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi BecOzican,

Good work on the regional texturing and having a go. Particularly in ensuring that there aren't any nasty edges visible.

As Thorsten mentions, the next step would be to have a look at the water definitions that are already present (see the wave reflections for example) - you'll see they use various shaders. With a bit of work you should be able to modify one of those to produce a reef that will have waves above it perfectly aligned with the surrounding water definitions!

I was hoping to be able to point you to a wiki article that explains how the water shader works, but I couldn't immediately see one. However it's worth reading this: (http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Shader ... FlightGear). If you have any questions on how to do this, Thorsten is the person best placed to help.

Good luck!

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby BecOzIcan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 am

stuart wrote in Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:08 pm:As Thorsten mentions, the next step would be to have a look at the water definitions that are already present (see the wave reflections for example) - you'll see they use various shaders. With a bit of work you should be able to modify one of those to produce a reef that will have waves above it perfectly aligned with the surrounding water definitions!

Thanks a lot Stuart. I started having a look in the /Doc and wikis but it looks like a lot of extra field of knowledge and work to take on board and I am already quite busy with AI and terrains..

Lagoons and reef rendering go way beyond the Pacific area and I am sure the Caribbean and Indian Ocean regions would greatly benefit from it; Still, I have reached the end of the 5 days I had allocated to NTAA so ll leave it to someone with an existing expertise / interest in materials and shaders to take over.

Cheers
Ian
BecOzIcan

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:53 am

Lagoons and reef rendering go way beyond the Pacific area and I am sure the Caribbean and Indian Ocean regions would greatly benefit from it;

Actually - doesn't the depth map provide just the capability that's needed here?

Or what makes a lagoon/reef different from what we render in the Caribbean right now?

Thorsten

Postby BecOzIcan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:36 am

Thorsten wrote in Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:53 am:
Lagoons and reef rendering go way beyond the Pacific area and I am sure the Caribbean and Indian Ocean regions would greatly benefit from it;

Actually - doesn't the depth map provide just the capability that's needed here?
Or what makes a lagoon/reef different from what we render in the Caribbean right now?

You're right, that sounds like the best way to go, I will look at rendering the reef border through a line element. Stay tuned and thank you for the guidance.

Cheers
Ian
BecOzIcan

Postby BecOzIcan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:49 am

I played a bit with the Global Water Depth map (/Textures/Globe/ocean_depth_1.png) as suggested but my tests were inconclusive.

The reef forms a very thin limit between very shallow and very deep waters with extreme colours differences between each side, as shown here

Unless I miss something the depth map is not precise enough to allow the design of that very narrow line between deep and shallow waters.
In the screenshot below comparing the FG rendering of the Island of Moorea and the depth map, I realistically only have 5 pixels (in width) to play with and define water depth around the island and that is simply not enough.

The depth map is still an awesome tool but as far as I understand It can only help with smooth changes in ocean floor slopes

For the sake of progressing my project and rebuild the rest of the Polynesian islands i ll continue to map reefs to the lagoon landclass and revert to that issue once all done.

The solution maybe to render the lagoon shape file "Just under the surface of the water" in some sort of z index approach but I am definitely "out of my depth" here .... :-)

Cheers
Ian
BecOzIcan

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Hm, I see your point. Unfortunately lagoon landclass won't show your textures, so we might need to tweak the water shader a bit...

I'll look at that once the scenery is on TS.
Thorsten

Postby BecOzIcan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:01 pm:Hm, I see your point. Unfortunately lagoon landclass won't show your textures, so we might need to tweak the water shader a bit...

I'll look at that once the scenery is on TS.

Thanks a lot for that.
No rush at all; I m going through islands one by one and redo the full QGIS / WED layouts and re run Terrgagear so it's going to be another month or so

Cheers
Ian
BecOzIcan

Return to Scenery