Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Getting airport from Airport Scenery Gateway

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Getting airport from Airport Scenery Gateway

Postby jdavidbakr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:37 pm

I live in Tulsa, and wanted to build out the KTUL airport in WED. After installing WED on my computer, I discovered that there is already a highly detailed version of KTUL in the Airport Scenery Gateway built out by mattrauch and uploaded 4/6/16, status 'Recommended' - so I decided to try to export that to my local apt.dat file. When I try to export it, though, I'm getting errors about missing files - "Object's resource lib/airport/landscape/radar.obj cannot be found'. On the WED screen there are lots of question marks where these missing objects are.

Now, I figure I can probably just go through and delete them all, but I'd like to retain all of the details that he's added. I found what I assume is the scenery library it needs here: http://dev.x-plane.com/update/versions/X-Plane%2010.11/ - but even if I download the files from there I can't get it past this error message.

First, does anyone know how I can re-map those objects in WED to files that I've downloaded? And second, how long does it normally take before a 'recommended' airport update gets into live data and then into FlightGear? Kind of surprised that it's been sitting there for almost two years.
jdavidbakr

Re: Getting airport from Airport Scenery Gateway

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:44 pm

the scenery in FG (aka world scenery 2) is built all at once... each tile needs information from the tiles around it... building the world takes a long time... weeks or longer... if there's an error, the build has to start again after it is fixed... the person who did the last world scenery build is no longer with the project... there is work being done to see about generating scenery as needed and making it available...

some folks have asked about updating apt.dat or others but they all play a part in the scenery generation process... there are some scenery packs available but scenery is a merge process instead of a replace process when you use custom scenery... the scenery packs do look good but there may be cliffs where they join the surrounding areas...

one can work on building their own scenery... that means using terragear for the building process... either terragear or manually handling each step that terragear would do by loading the external processing tools...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby jdavidbakr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Ah, so basically the path is probably not worth it at this point - that's a bummer. Hopefully there will be a better open source scenery/airport strategy coming, I'd love to read about it and possibly get involved.
jdavidbakr

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:00 pm

i don't know where, exactly, to point you but if you have decent wiki-fu, use the wiki link at the very top of this page and take a rumble there... there's a lot of information in that thing ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby f-ojac » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:54 am

FG just uses a part of the data you can find in XPlane data. For instance, some airports have links to 3D models in their definition. It is not used by FG and this is why you have those question marks.
However, with the apt.dat you have for your airport, you can generate the terrain using TGWeb ( http://ns334561.ip-5-196-65.eu/tgweb/ ) and replace your .btg.gz file by this terrain. But this has flows, such as the integration with the surrounding tiles, etc... so it's not perfect.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby portreekid » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:01 am

You can get rid of the question marks by downloading the XPlane trail. You can't fly it but the question marks disappear
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Return to Scenery