Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

KBOS - impossible to depart from

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

KBOS - impossible to depart from

Postby zacarias » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi.

When trying to leave from KBOS with a 777 it always crashes against something, whatever the gate i choose from the launcher. There's always something that makes it crash against, as soon as I begin to pushback.
I tried with all the available gates (only with the 777-300ER).
FG 2017.3.1
LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Processor AMD A8-6600K
Graphics Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
zacarias

Re: KBOS - impossible to depart from

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:52 pm

have you hit 'v' and looked out side? use 'v' to toggle through the views...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby zacarias » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:05 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:52 pm:have you hit 'v' and looked out side? use 'v' to toggle through the views...

Of course I toggle through the views. The problem is that there are too many objects around, I think.
FG 2017.3.1
Processor AMD A8-6600K
zacarias

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:32 pm

yeah, that's what i thought... kinda like trying to use the c172p at one airport (i can't remember which) and all the parking spots are named the same so FG stuffs you into the first one which is covered in boxes and mess... in the c172p, you bounce all around and crash because of the boxes... that's just rezzing in... no chance to even try to start the craft... i understand having static stuff but geez, it needs to be placed elsewhere than parking spaces used in the ground net... plus parking spaces really really really need their own identifiers...

KBOS has a whole slew of parking spaces... have you tried Gate_B36 or Gate_C42? i generally use C42 which is really close to "in front of" the tower...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby zacarias » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:34 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:32 pm:KBOS has a whole slew of parking spaces... have you tried Gate_B36 or Gate_C42? i generally use C42 which is really close to "in front of" the tower...

I just have these options: https://pasteboard.co/GWykmYt.png
FG 2017.3.1
Processor AMD A8-6600K
zacarias

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:40 pm

These are default gates (outdated), i run KBOS with custom D-Laser-groundnets with all existing gates, some need to replace or modify to have place for larger jets (A380, 747...) and existing objects populating KBOS, but i think is playable and spawn with the Cessna is still OK.

PS: I don't really know the source of these crashes but we need more info to understand better.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby agough » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:19 am

Just a suggestion - the ground "clutter" looks nice, but is a bit of a pain at quite a few airports - any chance these kind of objects could be changed so that they are <enable-hot type="bool">false</enable-hot>? That could strike a happy middle ground of pretty airports, but usable startup locations.
agough

Callsign: G-OUGH
Version: 3.7

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:36 am

As for me, all gates are usable, no need to change objects
Catalanoic

Postby Thorsten » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 am

Just a suggestion - the ground "clutter" looks nice, but is a bit of a pain at quite a few airports

There's ~20,000 airports in the FG scenery. There's at most 100 which have 'all this ground clutter'.

Just a suggestion to people who are bothered by it - pick one of the 19,900 other airports. If you try a new one every day, you'll be finished in 54 years. Is that enough variety for everyone?
Thorsten

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Nice suggestion Thorsten, hope we can have at least half of these 20k developed in some level, more doable as all existing airports on real world. For KBOS i haven't experienced problems to park wide body jet airliners like 777 and A320.. All you need to care about plane wings and building edges when rotating and receding, try pushback vehicle to drive properly to desired position.
Is he meaning "ground clutter" about incorrect layout or with errors? About very few gates? Objects misplaced? First 2 questions can be solved temporaly adding custom files like the groundnets generated by D-laser. Last point maybe some building or small furniture need to be rotated but its minor problem and easy to adjust on Scenery Database.
Catalanoic

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:32 pm

i was thinking, the other day, about it being too bad there's not a switch like there is for the AI craft... only this switch would be for ground ""clutter""... the problem being that the ""clutter"" is static inside the STG files... if the trucks, boxes, craft, etc could be separate items like the AI craft and not listed in the STG files, having a switch to enable/disable ground ""clutter"" would be great... then those that want it can enable it and those that don't want it can disable it...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:40 pm:These are default gates (outdated), i run KBOS with custom D-Laser-groundnets with all existing gates,

apparently this is what i'm running with, too...

i don't understand why these have not been added to terrasync yet... especially when they fix airports like KRDU where there's a bunch of parking named TerminalC and you can't choose this one on the corner because FG will place you in the first one it finds when it parses the list of spaces and finds the first match on that name...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby zacarias » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:23 pm:For KBOS i haven't experienced problems to park wide body jet airliners like 777 and A320.. All you need to care about plane wings and building edges when rotating and receding, try pushback vehicle to drive properly to desired position.

I use the pushback, and I do it carefully. But in some gates it just crashes when launching! There are other planes already there, or objects like the jetways, trucks, etc.
FG 2017.3.1
Processor AMD A8-6600K
zacarias

Postby zacarias » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Today I managed to leave the available "Terminal D". Less cluttered.
FG 2017.3.1
Processor AMD A8-6600K
zacarias

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:25 pm

"some gates it just crashes when launching": Sounds weird, try to load FG with terminal and see what prompts.

"i don't understand why these have not been added to terrasync yet..." I don't know too, maybe these updated files can be in conflict on some developed airports where some objects are misplaced or wrongly placed by some meters (mostly shared ones, massive uploads isn't a good idea), but at least works as custom and you can deactivate it, nice as test bed and for scenery developers to adjust it manually.

"if the trucks, boxes, craft, etc could be separate items like the AI craft": There's a project out there to write a ground airport services system (fuel trucks, vans, buses, etc moving around), maybe when that project goes to some polished level we can adapt it to our airports and delete/move some of the static objects on the way of these AI vehicles. But by the time it looks nice to have some gates decorated with these objects and you can feel like a living place.
Catalanoic

Return to Scenery