Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Improving the KGCN area

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Improving the KGCN area

Postby durk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi All,

I would, humbly like to ask if anyone would be interested in touching up the area around KGCN (Grand Canyon) airport, as well as Grand Canyon Village. The reason I'm asking this is that I'm preparing a demo helicopter flight in the area for FSWeekend (November 4 & 5) this next weekend.

I realise that this is quite a favour which I would normally never ask, however, everything seems really ideal for a demo around KGNC, except for the fact that there are no buildings on the airport and surrounding terrain. Given the time window, I can't do this myself.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Re: Improving the KGCN area

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi durk. If the airfield needs a new layout, there is an excellent one at https://gateway.x-plane.com/scenery/page/KGCN.
It will require TerraGear work.
Jonathan
Last edited by legoboyvdlp on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:28 pm

I had a look on Google Earth. There's not really that much in the area.

Edit:
I compared the terragit scenery with terrasync. Terragit's terrain is terrible, but it does have new objects from D-LASER's (pommeshranke) P3000 script and the most updated layout from the Gateway. At this point, I think the best bet is to create a new upload the objects, with D-LASER's permission to scenery.flightgear.org, and if possible to use terragear to create the new airport layout.

Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Postby durk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:15 am

Hi Jonathan,

Absolutely fabulous that you're willing to try and improve this area. Just from my own experience, indeed there aren't many buildings in the area, given that it is a National Park, but Grand Canyon village does have a couple of buildings, campsites, etc. etc,; just enough to make the scenery a bit more interesting.

If it's possible to improve the area by submitting your changes to the scenery database and/or terrasync, that'd awesome. I do a practice flight in the area approximately once or twice a day, so I should pick up the changes. FWIW, this upcoming thursday, November 2, is probably the last day that I'm still flying (as I'm packing for FSWeekend on Friday).

Once again, thanks!

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:20 pm

No problem!
Jonathan

Edit, 30/10 at 22:17PM:
Shared models submitted. It at least looks plausible. Camping area to the left of the road, and some houses around the roundabout. Hangars, lamps, and fire station at the airport. Just one static aircraft: left the rest for AI.
legoboyvdlp

Postby durk » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanks! Just wanted to let you know that I've downloaded your contributions and incorporated it into my demo scenario. It makes the final part of my demo, the approach to KGCN, a bit more interesting!

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Great :)
I wish I had been able to make custom models, but I suppose that that's better than nothing!
Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Return to Scenery