Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

TG Construct.exe Fails Immediately / Tile Index Scheme  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

TG Construct.exe Fails Immediately / Tile Index Scheme

Postby pb321 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Trying to run Terragear construct.exe through TerraGui on a Windows machine with my current scenery build results in the blue bar indicating it is done but no output directory. This happens immediately. The Troubleshooting section of the Wiki "Using Terragear" states the following:

tg-construct silently stops immediately without an error and nothing goes to the "output" directory: make sure that lon/lat values correspond to tiles boundaries. See Tile Index Scheme

So I went to the Tile Index Scheme wiki. With no relevant background or experience, I don't understand it. Is there an easier way to determine tile boundaries? I don't understand the formulae. For example, what does "latitude resp. longitude" mean? What does "<<" mean in the following formula: index=((lon+180)<<14) + ((lat + 90) << 6) + (y << 3) + x?

Are the Lat/Longitude Maximums and Minimums in Terragear to be set exactly the same as the "tile boundaries" of the area being generated with Terragear? The center and radius of the area I'm trying to generate is Lat 45.5, Long -88 with .5 X and Y radii.

Are there other possibilities for this behavior of TG-Contruct?

Thank you!
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: TG Construct.exe Fails Immediately / Tile Index Scheme

Postby BecOzIcan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:37 pm

In my experience ...

Symptom : Construct Process Finishes almost immediately upon clicking on Generate Scenery
Root Cause : One or more of the Terrain Types listed is not part of the Default_Priorities txt file at the root of Terraqgear/share. Maybe be an Upper/Lower case issue as well
Current Projects: AI Traffic, Models & Liveries
BecOzIcan

Postby BecOzIcan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:41 pm

pb321 wrote in Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:19 pm:So I went to the Tile Index Scheme wiki. With no relevant background or experience, I don't understand it. Is there an easier way to determine tile boundaries? I don't understand the formulae. For example, what does "latitude resp. longitude" mean? What does "<<" mean in the following formula: index=((lon+180)<<14) + ((lat + 90) << 6) + (y << 3) + x?

Are the Lat/Longitude Maximums and Minimums in Terragear to be set exactly the same as the "tile boundaries" of the area being generated with Terragear? The center and radius of the area I'm trying to generate is Lat 45.5, Long -88 with .5 X and Y radii. !

Tiles Boundaries are much easier than that to determine. Use the Scenemodel map (enter your ICAO in URL instead of LFPG) in https://scenery.flightgear.org/map/?icao=lfpg

see the blue lines one the map? They are the tiles boundaries, see how LAT LON changes in the bottom left part of the screen as you move your mouse, they are the lat / lon of your mouse. So mouse over the blue lines to find your correct values (always multiples of 0.005)
Current Projects: AI Traffic, Models & Liveries
BecOzIcan

Postby pb321 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:12 pm

I very much appreciate this information, BecOzlcan! I'll make changes accordingly and will report back here on the results. Using the Scenemodels map certainly makes it a lot easier and provides the tile number as well. I hadn't noticed that before.
pb321

Postby pb321 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Problem resolved! Fixing the default_priorities.txt file resulted in TG-Construct generating scenery! Thank you very much!
pb321

Return to Scenery