Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Google Earth data for future scenery

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Google Earth data for future scenery

Postby andrewfer000 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:43 am

I know that FGFS is open source but I wouldn’t mind seeing google earth data used in flight gear. Even though google maps and google earth data Is not open source it would be nice just to look into it and ask. I say this because FGFS scenery is not the best when it comes to some areas. To me Flight Gear is a great simulator with bad Scenery and google earth is a bad flight simulator with great scenery. I hope in the future we can get the best of both.
andrewfer000

Re: Google Earth data for future scenery

Postby Thorsten » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:50 am

No - wrong license. We're not permitted to use google Earth data or imagery under GPL, so you won't see it (unless you rig something for your private use).
Thorsten

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:24 pm

you can play FG with Google imaginery (as other sources), the problem is, FG cannot distribute it freely because restricted licenses, not Google but the company that owns the images. Maybe in the future we can get orthoimaginery and distribute it with FG or TerraSync system but until that moment arrives we can improve actual scenery, it means 3D work, better terrain textures and definitions, etc.. lots of work done in recent years
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby agough » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi Andrew, as the guys have already said, most aerial imagery (e.g. Google Earth/Maps data) is not compatible with FG's license - so it can't be made available for download with the program like the scenery is at the moment. It also means that there isn't a huge amount of interest in getting it working in the sim.

That said, if you don't mind having an older version of FlightGear, you could try the OSGEarth integration build on this forum: viewforum.php?f=81 It streams imagery like Google Earth or Maps does and then replaces FG's scenery with it. The major downside is you need a pretty fast internet connection (I'm talking at very least 5 Mbps) to get any kind of decent results.

If you don't mind sacrificing a lot of simulation-ness, http://www.geo-fs.com is pretty cool (used to use the old Google Earth plugin and was called GEFS), and it uses aerial imagery as scenery.
agough

Callsign: G-OUGH
Version: 3.7

Postby Zequinha » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:56 am

Zequinha

Using Google Earth as an Flight Gear viewer: "Xplage" for fg

Postby dreieck » Thu May 06, 2021 12:55 pm

Maybe an idea could be to use google earth as an external viewer for FlightGear?

Here is discussed the script "Xplage", which does a similar thing for "X-Plane": The flight simulator get's configured to spit out at a regulat interval the view position in space (location and orientation), and the script takes that data and transforms it into a KML-input for google earth, which in turn adjusts it's view to fit the flight simulator's view.

Of course that is not exactly the same as having a native flight simulation within google earth' scenery; not so smooth and when it comes to be close to objects maybe also offsets and differences (because OSM data is not the same as google's data), but it might help to explore more realistic geography and scenery with flight sim?

Could that be an idea?

I think in general it should be possible, to utilise FlightGear's I/O-mechanism to produce the necessary output and to write a script similar to "Xplage".
dreieck

Callsign: dreieck
Version: latest-git

Return to Scenery