Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Airport data file (apt.dat) vs FG Scenery  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Airport data file (apt.dat) vs FG Scenery

Postby Snowblind1 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:29 am

Hello - I have been reviewing the posts on the forum today about apt.dat files and scenery, and I would like some feedback:

I have been working on some local airports that I am familiar with (KEQY and KCLT). Both will require some specific modelling, which I will get to at some point. However, I noticed that for KCLT, one runway is missing (in FG, only three are displayed). I managed to open the airport .dat file, located here: "C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2017.2.1\data\Airports\apt.dat.gz" with WED. It is showing all four runways and related taxiways. In FG, there are airliners taxiing through what is grass in the scenery, but is in the .dat file.

I am assuming at this point that the scenery needs to be updated somehow in order to show the fourth runway. I have Terrasync on, and have flown over this airport multiple times today, even starting in KCLT before the flight. I am also assuming that Terrasync has updated the scenery at some point as well. I should have the latest scenery.

So, what needs to be edited/updated to allow the additional runway in the .dat file to appear? I would think I need to do something using TerraGUI, but I haven't had much success with that tool so far. I understand there has to be a "hole" in the scenery for the airport - but this is already there, since the airport exists. I know there is an effort to produce another batch of worldwide scenery, so maybe while the .dat file is getting updated, the actual scenery isn't? I'm really trying to make sure I understand how the pieces fit together before I try to "fix" anything.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I'll be more than happy to try to get this area updated.

Thanks in advance!
Snowblind1

Version: 2017.2.1

Re: Airport data file (apt.dat) vs FG Scenery  

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:46 am

apt.dat contains airport metadata but FG scenery displays the terrain mesh - you need to compile mesh from the metadata to create scenery, and that's done using a tool called 'terragear'.
Thorsten

Re: Airport data file (apt.dat) vs FG Scenery

Postby Snowblind1 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Thorsten,

Thanks for the clarification. I need a Linux box apparently...I'll see what I can do on that.

Thanks again!

John
Snowblind1

Version: 2017.2.1

Return to Scenery