Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Textures on Blender not showing in .ac file

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Textures on Blender not showing in .ac file

Postby Isi_C » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Hello Nicolatis

I'm sorry if my observations have in any way upset you, that was not intended - I know that we are all very grateful for the work of developers like yourself in maintaining and developing flightgear and associated scripts.

My observation about ambient reflecting rgb is not my own, but taken directly from a flightgear wiki page:

[url]wiki.flightgear.org/AC_files:_Basic_changes_to_textures_and_colours[/url]

"...As of FlightGear 2.0, the amb setting should duplicate the rgb one. If you leave it at amb 0.4 0.4 0.4 after exporting it with the SketchUp to AC3D exporter, the surface will be all grey when the sun does not shine directly on it. So in our example, the amb value should be 0.5 0.5 0.5, just like the rgb one..."

Having checked a number of recent models this seems to be what people are submitting, either directly from script or by manually setting ambient values.

My own script has a single line that achieves this:

self.amb = self.rgb

I appreciate that the script you maintain is not exclusively for flightgear, but feel sure that if there were a 'dedicated' flightgear version it would be greatly appreciated. I wish my own python skills were more than 'just sufficient to be dangerous' - I appreciate that there's a lot of work in maintaining these things.

Kind regards

Isi
Isi_C

Version: 2020.3.8

Postby Necolatis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 pm

Don't worry I am not upset. Sorry if I came across as such.

Okay, I will build in that option.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Zequinha » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:53 pm:i took a look at your .ac file and shows perfect and textured to me, just need to join all 4 textures to a single one and remove ground faces, that would be optimal! i can do a version with all that i've mentioned and submit to TS under your name if you want.

Thanks for your help Catalonic! My author name in the FlightGear Scenery database is "Nuno Ferreira", I have submitted a few models in the past. If you wish, please add your name as well - your contribution is critical.

In fact, in Lisbon there are two identical buildings "Torre de S.Gabriel" and "Torre de S.Rafael". Here are their coordinates and orientation:

OBJECT_SHARED Models/AAA/S.Gabriel_v02.ac -9.09663823 38.76836593 12.5545 0.0 0.0 -0.0
OBJECT_SHARED Models/AAA/S.Gabriel_v02.ac -9.09715413 38.76722792 19.3184 0.0 0.0 -0.0

By coincidence, the orientation 0 degrees is correct, so far as I can tell.

I think it is best to submit the same building twice, each time for each of the coordinates above.

Once again, thank you very much for your help! Looking forward to see these towers in Lisbon!
Zequinha

Postby Zequinha » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:37 pm

I finally got it to work! Hopefully in a few days I'll upload the building! Thanks Guys for all your help!

For future reference: this video was helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URMjoFSm5pk. Bear in mind the video starts in "edit mode".
Zequinha

Postby VicMar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:50 am

If you intend to use 1 model for 2 buildings there are 2 ways of doing that.
1. The simplest would be to submit the model twice with different names (don't forget to rename the texture for the second submission).
or
2. Place the first model, wait until it has been processed into TerraSync then place it in the second position.

Cheers,

Vic
p.s. 1 is easiest. 2. Is the best practice option.
Last edited by VicMar on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:27 am

OK, i was busy last days, and i've time now, but if you solved the issue maybe i don't need to do anything, follow the methods described by VicMar, best option and mostly used for repeating static objects is option 2 because just one needed object. the option 1 is something to have 2 or more identically objects ocupping disk space isn't the best choice. Take into account static objects is for 1 or few instances and shared is intended for dozens or hundreds of instances.. If you choose option 2, just need to wait some hours or few days to be approved, and then add a second position based on that object previously submitted.
PS: About modelling and texturing, please, consider grouping all these texture to 1.you can use GIMP (multi-OS) or Paint (win) and then retexture it on Blender or other software.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Zequinha » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:24 am

thanks guys, i will use option 2.

I also deleted the ground faces that are on the bottom of the building.

[quote]PS: About modelling and texturing, please, consider grouping all these texture to 1.you can use GIMP (multi-OS) or Paint (win) and then retexture it on Blender or other software.[\quote]

Do you mean putting the three textures in just a single .png file? I have done that now. Are there any specific sizes for recommended for the .png texture file, like 256 x 256px or 512x512 pixels?
Zequinha

Postby VicMar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Texture sizes MUST be multiples of 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256 etc. Any combination of them will do.

Where there is an object in an area which is clear of other objects the maximum should be 1024 x 1024.

The trick is to make your texture a small as possible whilst still showing the amount of detail needed. Bear in mind that there will likely be dozens of objects/models at an airport, but most of them are only seen at a distance or at a high speed pass, so no need to have details like door handles and screws etc.

Cheers,

Vic
p.s. At the very top of this Scenery forum there are some messages (set apart) which clarify the best practices.
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby Zequinha » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:12 pm

thanks Vic
Zequinha

Postby VicMar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:18 pm

As the validator of FG scenery models, I must declare an interest in trying to get modellers to submit their work as correctly as possible. That makes my life simpler.

I'll always try to help when I can.

Cheers,

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby Zequinha » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 am

The model has finally been submitted to the database!

This what they should look like in FG:

Again, thank you guys so much for all your help. Also Catalonoic you were willing to help exporting the model to .ac - that was really nice! Thanks!
Zequinha

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 am

Looks really nice, i'm proud you learnt how to do all by yourself! FG has a new modeler!! I'll fly over Lisbon with OSM buildings on a heli to do some tourism
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Necolatis » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:33 am

I totally forgot about building in that option, its done now. Blender export script is now at version 2.20.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Previous

Return to Scenery