Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Next World Scenery build

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Next World Scenery build

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Torsten wrote in Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:23 pm:I have added
Code: Select all
message(STATUS "CGAL_USE_FILE is ${CGAL_USE_FILE}")

this is funny!! i've just done exactly this and gotten the same results...

i have been able to make it further, though... in my case, my cgal stuff is older so i went back into my dnc script and am resetting the HEAD back to just before the new CGAL code stuffs were added... now i need to figure out how to fix these...

[ 96%] Linking CXX executable tg-construct
CMakeFiles/tg-construct.dir/tgconstruct_output.cxx.o: In function `TGConstruct::AddCustomObjects()':
/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/terragear/src/BuildTiles/Main/tgconstruct_output.cxx:45: undefined reference to `SGPath::str_native() const'
/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/terragear/src/BuildTiles/Main/tgconstruct_output.cxx:49: undefined reference to `SGPath::str_native() const'
/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/terragear/src/BuildTiles/Main/tgconstruct_output.cxx:73: undefined reference to `SGPath::str_native() const'
/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/terragear/src/BuildTiles/Main/tgconstruct_output.cxx:95: undefined reference to `SGPath::str_native() const'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [src/BuildTiles/Main/tg-construct] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/BuildTiles/Main/CMakeFiles/tg-construct.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

i think that's going to be the sed to move the one include from where it is to /io/ if i recall... i'll have to look but i found something else that elgaton has done (back in Dec 2016) that needs to be applied as well... if it came after the point where i have to reset the HEAD then that's probably what i'm missing and need to try to dig up and apply...

i forgot to say, i'm resetting to here...
git reset --hard 082ee9b82f15c8067183925a2ce48da817fa3748
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:11 pm

got it!! see my topic "Terragear compilation - Ubuntu 14.04" here: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=32458 ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Torsten » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:36 am

@wkitty: glad you made it. Sounds like you spent some time finding this.

I believe I now have the entire world DEM prepared and successfully created all airports from current FGDATA's apt.dat. Some random checks looked good.

Next step would be to create terrain. Statto, you once mentioned you have Australia shapefiles? That would probably be a good start.
Once that is working, I'll start to create a Jenkins job for it and we could think about a nice update process for at least apt.dat.
This could be as simple as creating a git for an uncompressed version of apt.dat. This repo could be updated by users and polled from Jenkins.
At some time in the future, it may also contain some kind of config file(s) to define the scenery compilation process, data sources etc. etc.
Maybe even CMake would be an option here?
We can later distribute the new scenery via TerraSync. TerraSync and FlightGear are already prepared for hosting and using multiple sets of scenery.
The scenery DB needs some hacking to also support this.

After all, this does not sound undoable but is a bunch of work. Any input on how the process should work in the future is greatly appreciated.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Torsten wrote in Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:36 am:@wkitty: glad you made it. Sounds like you spent some time finding this.

thanks! i kinda did... i actually started off doing the fixes manually... once i realized that i had all of the git commits, i was able to use a tool (giggle on ubuntu) and look at them... then i had an epiphany that i could use cherry-picking to get them instead of doing it all manually...

i knew about having to reset the head back so stay out of the GDAL 2.0.0 requirement... other updates were not related to anything specific to GDAL 2.0.0 except for one which was easily skipped... AFAICT, what i have is what we would have anyway if the GDAL 2.0.0 changes hadn't been added... i don't know what the actual differences in processing between the older and newer minimum GDAL are but i hope that what i have will be sufficient and will work properly...

i'm going to try redoing diego garcia again... i did it before and was able to clean up the z-fighting that's seen quite heavily there... i never really figured out how to place the quonset huts and other objects into my scenery, though... i'll be revisiting the "Terragear GUI" topic where a few of us worked through the process back in 2015 IIRC... i gotta figure out what to do about the shape files and such that are no longer available on the server they used to be housed on... i probably already have them a couple of times over where i've seen folks mention to download them from siteX or siteY but i've not had a working terragear to play with until now... knock on wood ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby statto » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:26 pm

I do have Australian shapefiles. Let me make sure they're in a complete version and I'll upload them in the next couple days - currently traveling.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Has there been any progress round here? Do we have a Database for custom shapefiles?
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby thew42 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:12 am

Is there any update about this? World scenery 2 is too old now.
thew42

Postby merspieler » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Any changes in status?
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby statto » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 pm

No one has taken ownership of this project as far as I know.
statto

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Really? I thought Torsten was preparing the server to automatically do rebuilts?
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby statto » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:16 pm

I think that's right, but I'm also thinking in terms of data.
statto

Postby pb321 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 pm

Just wondering what is the current status of the next scenery build? I had tried a few hybris files and those I tried looked very promising, except for some holes here and there. I have been following the dev mailing list but have not seen any recent activity regarding this specific project. I did see a discussion about TerraGear running on 64-bit Windows and conversion of .btg files to shapefiles. Is the work being done on several fronts which together may result in the ultimate goal? (At one point, I got the impression hybris might allow a larger group of people to participate in the scenery generation process and, additionally, more frequent scenery updates). It seems like such a bright spot in the development of FlightGear and a giant step forward in scenery development! Is my understanding correct? Where does this stand?
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby xDraconian » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:18 am

pb321 wrote in Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 pm:I did see a discussion about TerraGear running on 64-bit Windows and conversion of .btg files to shapefiles. Is the work being done on several fronts which together may result in the ultimate goal?

Yes. My focus has been on reducing the barrier for entry for scenery contributors. People wanting to contribute, but then they hit a wall because they cannot get the Terragear tools to compile or they discover they cannot enhance existing terrain or airport layouts because they lack access to the original shapefiles the Terragear tools require.

Torsten is working on automating the regeneration of scenery. I don't have any further insight into his progress than you do.

So Yes, I believe there are several fronts leading toward a big, world wide, scenery update.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby pb321 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:44 am

Thank you for the update and description of how the pieces fit together, @xDraconian, and for your contribution to the project. I'm very glad to hear this and am very much looking forward to its completion. It truly sounds like it will be a major step forward for FlightGear and its user community!
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Müller » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:02 pm

So Yes, I believe there are several fronts leading toward a big, world wide, scenery update.

It is a rather difficult process but we hope this is actually happening.
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery