Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Next World Scenery build

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Next World Scenery build

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:58 pm

That sounds very senseful and good to me though I couldnt do it ;)
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby statto » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Torsten wrote in Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:53 pm:I could try installing the terragear chain on scenery.flightgear.org. It has enough storage, a postgres database and almost everything needed. It also runs Jenkins to create the objects from the scenemodels database.
Maybe, i could create a Jenkins job to generate those scenery islands automatically, eventually triggered by some source changes?

Would that make sense?

Torsten

I like this idea. Does Terragear handle postgres natively or does it need to be exported to shapefiles first? I have a bash script for easy terragear compilation, but it requires shapefiles.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby Torsten » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:53 am

I don't think TerraGear can handle postgres natively. Probably worth investigating if it could be implemented.
OTOH, using an exporter to create shapefiles from the raw data is also doable. There is probably still something available in Martin's old code or he is willing to hand it over if I ask nicely.

I have just started to set up TerraGear on the scenery server but failed compiling with latest SimGear. Looks like the code base needs some TLC to prevent bit rotting. Maybe I can find some time over the next weeks but if someone else wants to get their feet wet, help would me much appreciated.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline

Postby Torsten » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:07 pm

statto wrote in Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:08 pm:I also have bash scripts written to run TerraGear easily,

Would lyou mind sharing those scripts?
I seem to have successfully compiled TerraGear and would like to give it a try without reinventing the wheel or reading the docs :-)

Torsten
Torsten

Postby statto » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Torsten wrote in Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:53 am:OTOH, using an exporter to create shapefiles from the raw data is also doable. There is probably still something available in Martin's old code or he is willing to hand it over if I ask nicely.

If I remember (I don't use postgres that much) it's fairly easy to export shapefiles, the problem is you run into an upper limit with shapefile size pretty quickly.
statto

Postby pommesschranke » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Torsten:

I use the scripts by NickR to make my custom scenery terrain:

https://gitlab.com/fg-scenery-build-scr ... ree/master
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Torsten » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am

@MartinH: thanks for the link, those scripts are very useful and sooo much easier to read than verbose wiki docs :-)

I have done some code reading of the toolchain and learned a lot. Most interesting, ogr-decode is capable of using postgresql natively, look at Martins script.
Using shapefiles is probably not an option for large scale scenery generating due to their size. Unfortunately, MartinS took the landcover database with him when he left. I hope we find a way to get access to his data.

I have just finished downloading all the SRTM data and will start playing with it.

For the records, to build terragear with simgear 2017.3.0, I added "-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-std=c++11" to the cmake command line and I had to run cmake twice(!) before the following compile succeeded
I suspect the culprit is this line in CMakeLists.txt
Code: Select all
include ( ${CGAL_USE_FILE} )

which overrides the CXX_FLAGS and unsets the c++11 definition.

Torsten
Torsten

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Torsten wrote in Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am:I suspect the culprit is this line in CMakeLists.txt
Code: Select all
include ( ${CGAL_USE_FILE} )

which overrides the CXX_FLAGS and unsets the c++11 definition.

can the ${CGAL_USE_FILE} be adjusted? whatever file that is should be able to be altered...

[edit]

i use the download_and_compile script... mine has overrides that are included in the build lines... i created a new one for terragear and put your -Define in it and i think i see what you are seeing... during my dnc script run, it does a configure... during that configure it tries a test build of simgear... before adding your -Define, it would not pass that test build... once i added your -Define, it passed that test but then later reports

-- SimGear include directory: /home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/install/simgear/include
-- found SimGear version: 2017.3.0 (needed 3.1.0 or higher)
-- looking for static SimGear libraries
-- Looking for clock_gettime in rt
-- Looking for clock_gettime in rt - found
-- found SimGear libraries
-- Performing Test SIMGEAR_COMPILE_TEST
-- Performing Test SIMGEAR_COMPILE_TEST - Success
-- Found SimGear: optimized;/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/install/simgear/lib/libSimGearScene.a;debug;/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/install/simgear/lib/libSimGearScened.a;optimized;/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/install/simgear/lib/libSimGearCore.a;debug;/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/install/simgear/lib/libSimGearCored.a;optimized;/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/install/simgear/lib/libSimGearCore.a;debug;/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/install/simgear/lib/libSimGearCored.a (Required is at least version "3.1.0")
-- Found GDAL: /usr/lib/libgdal.so (Required is at least version "1.6.0")
-- Found TIFF: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so (found version "4.0.3")
-- Found CGAL 4.2
-- Build type: Release
-- USING CXXFLAGS = '-g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -frounding-math -O3 -DNDEBUG'
-- USING EXEFLAGS = ' -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,--as-needed '

so i can see that the CXX flags are being overridden somewhere but i have no clue where... cmake, like make, is just effin' majik :evil:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby statto » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Torsten wrote in Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am:Using shapefiles is probably not an option for large scale scenery generating due to their size. Unfortunately, MartinS took the landcover database with him when he left. I hope we find a way to get access to his data.

Australia and New Zealand are about 60MB combined uncompressed, but that's without the merged custom scenery. That's not too bad, really.
statto

Postby pommesschranke » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Torsten wrote in Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am: Unfortunately, MartinS took the landcover database with him when he left.

I just checked

http://mapserver.mgras.net/shpdl/

and was able to download a 1x1 degree box for a quick test.

Using shapefiles is probably not an option for large scale scenery generating

The TerraGIT team did use shapefiles and no database to build the planet last year. (AFAIK)
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Torsten » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:42 am

pommesschranke wrote in Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:42 pm:and was able to download a 1x1 degree box for a quick test.

I assume you got a shapefile as a response. I was talking about the raw data tables which are much easier (and quicker) to handle.
Torsten

Postby erik » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:45 am

Should I contact Martin for a one time export of the database?
He used to respond quite well to me in the past and I have an Internet connection which can handle faitly high speed up and downloads.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Torsten » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:40 am

Yes Erik, that would sure be helpful.
Torsten

Postby erik » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:14 am

Reply from Martin:
I can't promise to provide an adequate response before the end of this
month. If I don't get back to you before July, don't hesitate to send a
reminder.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:52 pm

We could import the shapefiles into a postGIS DB if need be.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery