Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Please Critique Shared Scenery Additions to KTKI

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Please Critique Shared Scenery Additions to KTKI

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Alas - not seamless and not future-proof - patchwork.
Thorsten

Postby PINTO » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:16 pm

They regenerated the whole world to keep it seamless, and have taken steps to ensure future updates will be seamless. It is not patchwork.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:24 pm

I've heard the claim of seamlessness before and it was wrong before. And unless they have control over the FG core and FGData, they can't even theoretically ensure that it's future-proof (I guess we mean different things by that then - from some discussions I know it's much more involved than one would think).

Edit: Anyway - if anyone has scenery which fits the quality standards defined for terrasync, it seems to me it'd be in the interest of the FG community to request to merge it to terrasync so that it can be enjoyed by all users rather than keep it on some other repository. Whereas if the scenery actually does not fit the quality standards, it seems dishonest to claim that it does.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:41 pm

David in TX wrote in Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:10 pm:
Thorsten wrote in Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:33 am:1-2 paid staff positions and a supercomputing farm.

I'm new around here, but this strikes me as absurd.

while it may strike many as absurd, the last time the world was generated, it ran for 6 or 8 months or more... finding a problem with some generated scenery means stopping the generation, fixing the problem and starting the generation all over again... why? because the tiles beside the one being currently built are also taken into account so as to not have any seams... but yeah, try building some... depending on what you are building, it may take a day or more... i had one running here for a week before i stopped it... i broke it down into smaller parts and was able to get them done in a shorter period of time... the whole world is really really huge... it weighs in at something like 82Gig IIRC... that's for today's scenery... when the new stuff is ready and released, the old scenery may not work at all...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:27 pm

For the sake of completeness, people may also want to take a look at poweroftwo's osgEarth integration - it has all the pros and cons of not using the pre-tesselated/TerraGear approach discussed earlier
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Previous

Return to Scenery