Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

FG+X-Plane+Terrasync?

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

FG+X-Plane+Terrasync?

Postby zacarias » Sat May 13, 2017 4:26 am

Hi.

I recently bought X-Plane, which is a great simulator, although I still prefer many features in FG (and I prefer the fact that it's open source and it has this great community!).

Anyway, what I would like to ask is:
- isn't Terrasync (and Flightgear) using the same airports that X-Plane uses? I thought that an airport that exists in X-Plane would automatically be ported to Terrasync. However, I see many airports in X-Plane that don't exist in FG and some others that exist in FG but there are not finished/built-up (there's only a runway), but in X-Plane they are.
- If that's not the case, how can we take X-Plane airports and port them to Flightgear?

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance
FG 2017.3.1
LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Processor AMD A8-6600K
Graphics Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
zacarias

Re: FG+X-Plane+Terrasync?

Postby erik » Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 am

FlightGear and X-Plane share the airport database. But not the airport files itself.
Only when the next terrain is generated this will ber synced again.

There are efforts to create custom scenery using the latest X-Plane airport information though:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27688

I agree It would be nice to have a new version of the scenery with the latest airports, my local airport has changed considerably lately.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby pommesschranke » Sun May 14, 2017 12:03 pm

There are efforts to create custom scenery using the latest X-Plane airport information though:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27688

Project3000 places static 3D objects (hangars, aircraft, lights, ...) where X-Plane has them.
Project3000 does not improve the airport layout (terrain)

A more up to date terrain with more and better airport layouts can be found in TerraGIT:
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-TERRAGIT/terraGIT
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby erik » Sun May 14, 2017 12:20 pm

Note however that this is not supported by the FlightGear project and in the future might be incompatible.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Return to Scenery