Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Windows/Linux - scenery object paths

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Windows/Linux - scenery object paths

Postby Alral » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Good day. I've run into a following trouble.
I am experimenting with dual-system now, so I have Windows Vista and Linux Mint 17 installed on the same drive (in different partitions, naturally).

I have a working FlightGear 2.8 installed on Vista. Now I have installed FGFS (the latest stable) to Linux Mint file system as well. In order to avoid having two different copies of scenery on my laptop, I referred to the Data/Scenery folder of the Vista installation in the scenery locations (as a secondary location - though I am not yet completely sure how that new launcher works). It seems to work, but with one flaw:

In my custom scenery, I have some shared object files brought into a separate folder, which is placed into Scenery (so that I have there now "Airports", "Objects", "Terrain", and "Estonia", the latter is the folder I store shared models specific for my scenery, in order not to clutter up Models folder). And the object descriptions in STG files refer to just those objects. And it has worked for many years on Vista (and presumably other systems) with no trouble.

However, when I tried to do it now with the abovementioned configuration, FG cannot find those objects in "Estonia" folder. It looks to me as if FG cannot find the folder, since the path definition leads to somewhere else. But I failed to find where.

Is it possible to solve this problem without rewriting STG files or creating two copies of scenery on my drive?

Thank you.

Console output looks like:
Code: Select all
/media/alex/Files/FlightGear/data/Scenery/Objects/e020n50/e024n59/3351899.stg: Failed to load OBJECT_SHARED 'Scenery/Estonia/maritime/beacon/red_beacon_cb.xml'
http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9312

Over borders that divide the earthbound tribes
No creed and no religion...
(Iron Maiden, "Coming home")

Constellation in the night sky
Alral

Callsign: Alral
Version: 2018

Re: Windows/Linux - scenery object paths

Postby zakalawe » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:08 pm

I think, custom subfolders inside a Scenery hierarchy, may no long work due to some changes to support more official types. It would help to know exactly which version / build you are using, since this was only changed very recently (since 2016.4 was released).
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Return to Scenery