Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Smokestack with smoke animation?

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Smokestack with smoke animation?

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:26 am

But that wouldn't be backwards compatible, at least I couldn't think of a way.

No, but we could offer an optional a new variant to be used henceforth. Once we can assign an effect to particles, we can fix lots of issues - depth ordering, correct lighting, heck, we can even have Mie scattering on smoke.

OpenGL wouldn't touch the colors, only the particle animations settings would.

Ah, yeah, just tried - it's pretty much the same as making them emissive - if you disable lighting, they never go dark when the light goes away, so you have to control the color yourself.

Which I consider as a hack, because there's no good way to do this consistently for all rendering frameworks and all weather situations outside the shader.
Thorsten

Postby erik » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:51 am

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:26 am:No, but we could offer an optional a new variant to be used henceforth. Once we can assign an effect to particles, we can fix lots of issues - depth ordering, correct lighting, heck, we can even have Mie scattering on smoke.

I'll see if I can come up with something to enable shader effects for them,.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby erik » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Forget it, The OSG particle system is crap and the effect implementation is undocumented crap.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Previous

Return to Scenery