Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

scenery addon object Mont Ventoux France

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

scenery addon object Mont Ventoux France

Postby Josh_grtuxteam » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:16 am

Hello,

Since i cannot do a successful update of the Mont Ventoux (France ) object within the scenery see the topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14671&start=342

You may be interested, here is a link of the package for download https://sites.google.com/site/grtuxhangarctd/Scenery_Addon_Mt-Ventoux_France.zip

Josh
Josh_grtuxteam

Version: lastStable

Re: scenery addon object Mont Ventoux France

Postby Josh_grtuxteam » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:10 pm

Hello, all
Right now not longer necessary, since Catalanoic could successfully commit the update .
Thanks to Catalanoic
and thanks to Vic ( Vicmar ) who spent some time trying to help.

Josh

BTW: That topic can be marked "solved"
Josh_grtuxteam

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:34 pm

i found it! looks great!
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Josh_grtuxteam » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Hello, wkitty42

Thanks for the compliment,
However it is not at the level of my wish , since like said elsewhere , without any tool btg format converter , i could'nt get the perfect accuracy, in spit of too much time spent/lost on the drawing.
To me that is a "bad diy" , no one who is fond of that Tour de France popular mountain , would like to climb on it if the real one was like the 3D model.

Josh
Josh_grtuxteam

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:22 pm

Maybe someone can check in FG with a Terrasync activated or updated scenery how looks the mountain now, if something is wrong or need checks it can be solved, That smaller tower next to the top it can be easly added, we have shared objects similar...
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Josh_grtuxteam » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:27 pm

That's a larger discussion, in fact any shape can be partly wrong because of building which could be taken for part of the ground surface shape .
At the moment regarding the France scenery which is very accurate, we can't ask for a higher precision.

About the mountain , Mont Ventoux i have checked it against official map and against my own know how, ( again staying for some time, there ) i 'll say the result is good, right now difficult to get better (congratulation to the concerned developers)

However at some specific position when we want to implement some details, these addon must suit to the shape which is given by terragear.
To do that it is easy to consider the addon being an extension of terragear scenery , that addon being customized according to the local area mesh.

Since BTG is an other 3D format in theory we know how to draw the right shaped object.

Unfortunately we don't have a tool to convert an existing tile BTG format to a usable 3D format, the target is not to modify the tile related but to refer to it in order to draw over the addon object, then to give the right scenery object.

So we don't ask to the scenery concerned developers any more work. These scenery are on progress permanent, which in itself enough work to do.
If any significant change happen within the scenery it is better to modify the addon object.

Jodh
Josh_grtuxteam

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:22 pm:Maybe someone can check in FG with a Terrasync activated or updated scenery how looks the mountain now

that's how i got it... i actually use the new terrasync.py script but it validated with the sim's terrasync, too... i might be able to pop back over and take some snapshots of it but right now i have to go cook some material samples in the lab for soil density tests...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Scenery