Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Phuket OSM2city rendering(Publish!!)

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Phuket OSM2city rendering(Publish!!)

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:39 am

Hey all!
I've published my OSM2city generation of the Phuket area,which is set to cover ALMOST EVERY building,in the whole island of Phuket!!

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2CN49kDuXHgZ3U0LUFnU2ZJREE

Screenshots
ImageImage
There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next [PPA]

Re: Phuket OSM2city rendering(Publish!!)

Postby erik » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:12 am

Great, would be nice to have included in the official distribution

Erik
erik

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:16 am

Yep, generally an official global osm2city repository would be great, maybe downloadable as an option with a terrasync-like system?
D-ECHO

Postby vanosten » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:34 am

I have added your scenery to http://wiki.flightgear.org/Areas_popula ... ty_scenery.

While I agree that a solution like Terrasync would be nice, there are at least 5 obstacles to be resolved:
  • osm2city includes buildings, roads, pylons, platforms etc. Maybe not everybody wants to have them all (and e.g. streetlights are quite demanding in rendering. So there would have to be the possibility to choose at download time or even better at FG runtime.
  • The same goes for the density of buildings, which currently is a parameter - like above either different densities would have to be downloadable or in Flightgear there would have to be a mechanism to select clusters for rendering as a rendering setting.
  • In many areas of the world the density of information for buildings is rather lousy. I am working in parallel on a possible solution (https://gitlab.com/vanosten/owbb).
  • More textures are needed for different regions.
  • It would require quite some computing power to generate the sceneries - and quite some space/bandwidth for the download area. Also the "Terrasync like" infrastructure would have to be created.
[/list]
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks Vanosten for adding to the wiki :)
OSM2city divides LOD levels. Could that be used for choosing?

(For downloading,there's 4 levels: TerraSync,Bare,Medium,Detailed if it is implemented)
There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:55 am

Oh,plus,when beginning the project I checked the building density near VTSP,and it's pretty realistic! It wasn't like this back at VTBS(my ex-virtual home airport)!
Parnikkapore

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Also about the density, osm2city.py creates buildings in categories bare, rough and detailed, couldn't that be added to the graphics menu manipulating a property like /sim/rendering/osm2city-lod which is read by the .xml's of osm2city?
D-ECHO

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:46 pm

Spot On,Echo!!
By the way, those divisions are also affected by the usual LOD levels. That property's gonna be the "maximum LOD"(VERY useful for Intel Integrated users)
Parnikkapore

Return to Scenery