Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

v0 landclasses

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: v0 landclasses

Postby psadro_gm » Sun May 15, 2016 9:13 pm

I agree. But the GIS data for the terrain can get you only so far. For urban / town, the use of OSM2City can get you good built up results. For natural settings, Thorsten's and Emelian's shader work is a far better solution. Even very detailed landclass just gets you better defined borders between forest / fields / rock. It's how these individual landclasses look up close that will give you the most 'photorealistic' quality.
8.50 airport parser, textured roads and streams...
psadro_gm

IRC name: psadro_*
Version: git

Postby abassign » Sun May 15, 2016 9:37 pm

psadro_gm wrote in Sun May 15, 2016 9:13 pm:I agree. But the GIS data for the terrain can get you only so far. For urban / town, the use of OSM2City can get you good built up results. For natural settings, Thorsten's and Emelian's shader work is a far better solution. ...

Of course what you say it is true, but to use terrain maps directly obtained from GIS programs (like QGIS, Grass etc ...) would be able to make the program more flexible and use data sources that for various reasons can not be distributed with license GPL.
OSM2City is a great program, but it only serves to build 3D objects on an existing map!

I think you get, simply maps from a GIS program allows you to build new data integration methods, as it is doing Wlbragg, and get maps, for only personal use, better quality!
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2018.3

Postby statto » Mon May 16, 2016 1:11 am

abassign wrote in Sun May 15, 2016 9:37 pm:to use terrain maps directly obtained from GIS programs (like QGIS, Grass etc ...) would be able to make the program more flexible and use data sources that for various reasons can not be distributed with license GPL.

What terrain maps do you talk about specifically?
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby psadro_gm » Mon May 16, 2016 1:20 pm

All GIS data ( vector types ) has to go through ogr-decode. This uses GDAL to convert gis data into terragears native format. I would give it a shot. I only know of two sources tested. ESRI shapefiles, and direct connection to a postGRE database. But anything that GDAL can read could potentially work.
psadro_gm

Postby abassign » Mon May 16, 2016 10:01 pm

At this point a question, do you think is possible to replace with an appropriate TerraGear QGIS Python module?
Last edited by bugman on Tue May 17, 2016 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire previous post.
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2018.3

Postby psadro_gm » Tue May 17, 2016 2:32 pm

It was one of my goals to create GRASS modules to support building fg scenery. Unfortunately, the way the workspaces are set up are a bit rigid, and I compromised by making all intermediate datafiles as ESRI shapefiles. (in the terragear master branch ). This way, as you run each tool, you can inspect the output with qgis.

Running the toolchain withing qgis doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It mostly runs as a batch process taking multiple weeks...
psadro_gm

Previous

Return to Scenery