Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Postby lomar » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:34 pm

I'm working right now only with Rio de janeiro(as i said earlier, some states have individual files with higher definition), and it has a size of about 58MB. I'm worried because it is one os the smallest states, and the lower definition file for the whole country is about 280MB. maybe i should break it in small parts before processing it(10x10 degrees maybe?)
anyway, how much time should i expect for these processes to take place with these file sizes?
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby montagdude » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:40 pm

For reference, I just processed data for Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware in the US, an area of about 19 square degrees. Each of the v.generalize steps took about 10-12 hours. But the input shapefile for that area is pretty detailed, at 974 MB. Make sure the tolerance you set is appropriate for the unit system you are working with. That's why I recommend trying it on a much smaller area first.
montagdude

Postby lomar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:19 am

So, today i tried the v.generalize with the douglas algorithim again, on that 58Mb file
after 6 and a half hours with the loading bar still at 0%, i gave up. i really dont know what to do at this stage.
an awkward thing is that my cpu never reached more than 35%, and there was no disc and minimal RAM usage
lomar

Postby montagdude » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:45 am

Did you try it on a small area first? What tolerance did you use, and what is the layer CRS?
montagdude

Postby lomar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:16 am

-no, i used the full file. i really should have taken your advice. sorry :(
-i used the default values, because i was afraid of how they would behave
-The SRC i found on the properties is this: "USER:100000 - * SRC gerado (+proj=aea +lat_1=-1 +lat_2=-28 +lat_0=5 +lon_0=-54 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0 +units=m +no_defs)"
lomar

Postby montagdude » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:03 pm

Okay, so your units are meters and the default tolerance is 1 meter. That may be why it was taking so long. Try a smaller section of it (draw a polygon on top of some area and do a clip) and use a much bigger tolerance.
montagdude

Postby lomar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:05 pm

so, i have one more question.
i would like to separate the landclass data into squares of 5x5 degrees, because i wont generate the scenery all at once, and i would like to work with small areas separately. how can i do it in QGIS?
lomar

Postby montagdude » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:17 am

lomar wrote in Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:05 pm:so, i have one more question.
i would like to separate the landclass data into squares of 5x5 degrees, because i wont generate the scenery all at once, and i would like to work with small areas separately. how can i do it in QGIS?

You can use a mask layer of 5x5 degrees and then do Processing toolbox -> Vector overlay -> Clip. I would recommend leaving some overlap (maybe 0.1 degrees) between blocks, so they will actually be 5.1x5.1 degrees. Then when you run TerraGear, make sure that you share the same work and output directories for processing each block. This will give you the best chance of not having noticeable seams.
montagdude

Postby lomar » Fri May 01, 2020 2:27 am

D-ECHO wrote in Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:15 am:Very nice! You can get the latest apt.dat files from gateway.x-plane.org or using d-laser's python scripts to pull them (especially gateway_pull.py and dsf2aptdat.py) from https://github.com/mherweg/d-laser-fgtools

I need some help here. I have never used python and have no knowledge with it.
could someone use these tools and send me the latest Apt.dat please?
lomar

Postby lomar » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:28 am

Gijs wrote in Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:42 am:Did you make sure those two materials are in default_priorities.txt as per http://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraGear_GUI#Construct ? Note that the list is case sensitive if I recall correctly.

hi,
so, there are 2 files on the Terragear Share folder: default_ priorities and USGSmap. default priorities has many materials, but USGS has only some. I noticed that time when i had this error, the material that was bugging TG was on default_priorities but not on USGS. should it be in both files?
lomar

Postby lomar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:10 am

hi, guys

something very important i would like to ask: how is the WS3.0 development going? what data does it use?
i was thinking... maybe depending on the quality of the data being put on WS3.0, my work here may be already obsolete, if the data there is better than the ones from my sources.
Also, about sources, i would like to announce some new sources i have been planning to include in the project together with the aforementioned IBGE land use data. I was going to announce it after running a test but problems on terragear(that i opened a new thread to try to solve) are delaying my project.
so the data i'm using right now:
-IBGE data that i mentioned earlier
OpenStreetMap data
-GEOBASES 2015 data from espirito santo state (very nice quality)
-IPP data for the city of Rio de Janeiro(very good quality either)
-Also thinking about the data from INPE TERRACLASS project, but i'm not sure yet
i still need to check the data licenses tough, but i think they should not be an issue.
lomar

Postby portreekid » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:38 am

The current status can be found here.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/World_Scenery_3.0_roadmap
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Postby lomar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:40 am

portreekid wrote in Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:38 am:The current status can be found here.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/World_Scenery_3.0_roadmap

thank you very much!
So it really seems that the data used in WS3.0 is better than most of what i have(it says it has a resolution of 100m, while the best IBGE data is 125m, the other sources are much better tough)
so now i have some other questions:
-when is the new scenery planned to be released?
-is it better to get rid of terrasync and start working with the new tools already?
-can i help with the official development somehow?
-it seems that the new scenery tool uses raster files, but all the data i gathered is stored as shapefiles. is it possible to convert between these formats?
lomar

Postby lomar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:05 am

hello,

i would like to give a quick update, i have done a new version of the SBFN scenery i was working on
updates:
-revised materials
-removed the "default" areas
-added roads
now the only thing that still need to be dont in order to make a final version is to find why terrasync is not reading the apt.dat from the x-plane gateway

download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/pwflzsm7y ... 2.zip/file
lomar

Postby lomar » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:33 pm

hi, it's me again with another stupid question.
is it possible to define the priority of the shapefiles on terragear? As i use multiple sources for the landclasses, it would be much faster and less error-prone to assign different priorities for them when building than editing them manually to cut the duplicates on QGIS
lomar

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery