Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Postby lomar » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:52 am

Hello All!
well, i decided to restart my work on this project, this time using the brasil-2014 shapefiles from IBGE. I know it's still a long way to go and i still have to learn some of the tools i need, but i think i can make a little progress by now
if someone has some ability with gis, wed, taxidraw and terragear and wants to help, just reply here.

That's how the shapefiles look so far

I plan to also use OSM data in this project, and also the latest airports from the Xplane Gateway
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Really nice, there're people that often fly in Brazil in FG, getting some type of terrain updates, OSM data and xplane airports we can get a whole new better experience and realism
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:24 pm

This looks really good. In case you need help with terragear or so, I have created a few sceneries with it, so if you want you can ask ;) Good luck!
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby lomar » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Guys, i'm a bit worried about the resolution of the shapefiles i have. Would like to hear the opinion of more experienced developers.
This is the area of Rio de Janeiro and Guanabara bay. what do you think?

This is the same area on OSM
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=11/-22.8591/-43.1831&layers=H

Also, i have the impression that more important cities and populous areas are a bit more detailed than the other areas but i still cannot confirm it.

so, I look forwarrd for comments. Sorry for my slow development, i've been busy with work and college things
lomar

Postby lomar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:05 am

Hello, guys!
Sorry for my abscence, i've been very busy.
so, i'm slowly restarting this project. I've just downloaded the entire set of data for Brazil from OSM. It's a crazy amount of data! :o

Again, i don't have much knowledge on scenery generating, so any help is welcome! If you want to help, just PM me.
lomar

Postby lomar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:40 pm

hello, guys!
i just wanted to say That THIS PROJECT IS NOT DEAD!!
i've been looking for more data at the IBGE website and found some landcover data that has a 1:250,000 scale and looks much better than the previous 1:1,000,000 data that i had found earlier(i think it even looks better than CORINE data). I also found something called "continuous cartographic database", but i don't know if this would be of any utility for this project. Unfortunately, this 1:250,000 data is restricted to only some few states and much of the country is available on 1:1,000,000 only. THis is Rio de janeiro in this new landcover data so you can compare with the previous on i posted earlier

BTW, i think this data will need some editing before bein used for scenery generation(also because i plan to use OSM data together so i get the best possible scenery). If someone has any experience with GRASS and would be willing to help me, please contact me.
lomar

Postby xDraconian » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:27 am

lomar wrote in Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:40 pm:If someone has any experience with GRASS and would be willing to help me, please contact me.

Hi @lomar, What do you need help with regarding GRASS?

Some general tips:
Keep all the shapes in a single layer while you work with it. Only split them once you are satisfied with the level of detail and ready to run TerraGear.
The two most important GRASS tools:
    v.clean - I typically use clean, snap, and rmarea most often.
    v.generalize - reduce the complexity of the shapes to something more frame-rate friendly
I work the files with an EPSG that is in Meters.
I convert to EPSG:4326 immediately before splitting the vector layer for TerraGear.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby lomar » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:07 am

Hi, could someone help me?

so, i''m finally trying to generaate something, but i got a problem.
On TerragearGUI everything works fin until i reach the materials part. my shapefiles are not showing up.

what am i doing wrong? Could someone help me?
It is a very small area that i'm using as a testbed, so it wont be long until i post something for you to test :D

thanks in advance!

EDIT: Solved here. will finish soon!

EDIT2: got another problem here. i generated the terrain but forgot to update the landclasses on the type list,, so i deleted the output and tried to generate again, but now there's nothing being generated. what should i do to fix this?
lomar

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:49 pm

when you solve something, please tell what the solution was so that others in the same or similar situations can use your solution to find their way out of their prediciment ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby lomar » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:38 am

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:49 pm:when you solve something, please tell what the solution was so that others in the same or similar situations can use your solution to find their way out of their prediciment ;)

I'm sorry, i was in a hurry to try and build some terrain before going to bed(unfortunately the other problem stopped me :( )
It was just a matter of putting the shapefiles on the right directory, as it was not specified on the wiki page. they must be on the "data" folder.

Btw i havent solved my other problem yet. Terragear still doesnt create any output, altough it says the process was succesful. I need help.
lomar

Postby lomar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:28 am

Hello everybody,

So, after a very troubling 2019 where i had to deal with a tiresome college year, some serious health problems and issues on my PC, just now i could take a look again at this project. Finally, i got to grips with Terragear and could start building some sceneries and start testing everything. i found some small isuues tough, that i hope i can find a way to solve.
I'm using right now the area around SBFN as a testbed because it's small and the OSM data is quite detailed. I was having trouble to generate the scenery but i discovered they were caused by two shapefiles. One of them i was already expecting problems as i was trying to create a new material, just as it is mentioned on the wiki. when i took them off, it worked. i still don't know how to fix them yet tough, any help would be much appreciated.

But now for the good news. the first version of SBFN is ready, and i would like some feedback. I still havent put roads in it, and there will be more landclasses on the next versions(the materials file assigns the same texture to some landclasses and the areas with issues or without data are currently assigned as default)

Screenshots:

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vzr6zzqqgwq4iut/fernando_de_noronha0.1.zip/file

Things i needd to fix right now:

-Where can i get the most up to date apt.dat?
-how can i fix the problematic shapefiles?
lomar

Postby Gijs » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:42 am

Looking good already!

Did you make sure those two materials are in default_priorities.txt as per http://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraGear_GUI#Construct ? Note that the list is case sensitive if I recall correctly.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:15 am

Very nice! You can get the latest apt.dat files from gateway.x-plane.org or using d-laser's python scripts to pull them (especially gateway_pull.py and dsf2aptdat.py) from https://github.com/mherweg/d-laser-fgtools
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby lomar » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:31 am

Hello, friends!

So, I've been working with the IBGE shapefiles recently and i have some problems:

As i mentioner earlier,there files have a saw-like pattern, and i have been experimenting with some tools.

-V.Generalize: I wasnt able to make it work, it just keeps loading for hours rithout any progress
-default qgis smooth and SAGA Smooth lines: i've been able to make these work, but now i have other problems. They leave gaps between the polygons, and i havent been able to fix it. that's ho wit looks with the SAGA tool:

THe deafult QGIS tool makes more detailed polygons, but the output files are extremely big. so, by now, i think i will be using the SAGA tool(but this can change until the final version)

Can someone help me?
lomar

Postby montagdude » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:22 am

I have been using the GRASS v.generalize function with good success for US scenery. I do it in two passes: one with the douglas algorithm to simplify (may or may not be needed depending on how detailed your shapefiles are to start) and then the chaiken algorithm for smoothing. I use a tolerance of 0.0003 degrees for both steps. However, they do take a very long time to process a large area. Are you trying to do the entire landmass of Brazil? I can imagine that might churn for days or weeks. I definitely would recommend testing on a smaller area first to make sure it is working and settle on parameters.
montagdude

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery