Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Postby lomar » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:03 pm

hello,
I haven't been posted much recently because my Notebook broke and I couldn' work on FG since.
I just wanted to say that I've finally found some data I was looking for since a lot of time ago, wich are some elevation and land use data fro brazil generated by IBGE, wich I think could be useful for improving the brazilian scenery. Unfortunately, there are just few states currently posted there, and they update their work very slowly. So, what they have got until now is:

land use shapefiles for 7 minor states
ftp://geoftp.ibge.gov.br/mapas_tematicos/uso_da_terra/unidades_federacao/shape/

I think the resolution and number of landclasses may vary from one state to another(i think ranging from 4 up to 15), because of the different dates of the ressearches. they are available in different formats, including .shp and .shx

also there is a digital elevation model for Rio de Janeiro:
ftp://geoftp.ibge.gov.br/modelo_digital_de_elevacao/projeto_rj_escala_25mil/

it's 20m resolution, wich i think is better than what we have now, but they say there's some issues with it, so they recommend to manually edit the data for a better usage.

IBGE data is public domain(remember that the brazilian gional textures were done using IBGE aerial imagery), but they require to be credited by the source of images(a citation on FG thanks.txt file should be enough).

so, if someone gets interested on improving the brazilian scenery, feel free to experiment with this data, and i promise i will try to install and use terragear as soon as i get my computer fixed, but i still have no prevision of when it will get a fix.
so, I hope someone enjoy this post...

EDIt: just found landcover and land use data for the whole country, with 14 landclasses, from 3 different dates: 2000, 2010 and 2012. I think this data can be more useful for generating scenery, although I couldn't discover the resolution of these

ftp://geoftp.ibge.gov.br/mapas_tematicos/mapas_murais/shapes/cobertura_e_uso_da_terra/

Ot: it's really sad what happened concerning Gilberto Agostinho, his retirement feels like de death of o relactive for me. I think if a new scenery could be sucessfully generated with this data he would be the first to edit new textures for it.
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Re: brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Postby Müller » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:16 pm

I think you are Brazilian, and also think that nobody will do anything with this stuff, sorry my sincerity, but I have some years in the Forum and know the 'customers' of it, if it were in another country probably someone would show interest, but when it comes to Brazil, the interessse is almost none, and see, that Brazilians are among those who most use the FG in the world, if I mistake in 5th or 6th.
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby Lydiot » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Müller wrote in Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:16 pm:I think you are Brazilian, and also think that nobody will do anything with this stuff, sorry my sincerity, but I have some years in the Forum and know the 'customers' of it, if it were in another country probably someone would show interest, but when it comes to Brazil, the interessse is almost none, and see, that Brazilians are among those who most use the FG in the world, if I mistake in 5th or 6th.

Well, I for one have flown a bit in Brazil and I like the place. So I'm interested in it.
Lydiot

Postby Müller » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:32 pm

If you are interested just get the stuff and get to work.
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby lomar » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:01 am

i'm workin on this data, but i'm in the middle of an exam week right now so i'm kinda tired to do any stuff with terragear now. buti hope that in the near future i can generate something, and maybe make a custom scenery, while the next WS build dont come
lomar

Postby Müller » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:48 pm

And I'm looking for more places where they can be found more data on Brazil, should have more but have not found anything GPL or Public Domain.
I contacted some (few) Brazilians to work, develop, contribute to FG, mainly TerraGear, but the answer is an empty, in other words, they do not want to get involved, but they all want good models, good terrain, good effects but not willing to try to learn, so it is difficult is not it?
If Brazilians are not willing to contribute, I request that people from other countries and you enjoy Brazil contribute a little to further develop the Brazilian scenario, mainly terrain that has some issues, nothing too serious or that it is impracticable to be able to make good flights.
But let's see what gives to be done or not.
Müller

Postby lomar » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:40 pm

seems tha openstreetmap has some nicely detailed data for the Rio de Janeiro-São Paulo axis( but almost nothing on the rest of the country). i'm wondering if this can be used for scenery generation, i've read in the wiki that it canbe used but i have no idea of how to use it.
lomar

Postby Catalanoic » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:40 pm

a lot of landmarks and airport specific buildings are possible to be modeled (somebody made a lot of models in Brazil and Argentina), the rest, OSM, like Xplane, the question is how to manage these new automated models with the existing scenery structure.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Müller » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:06 pm

"Someone" made models in Brazil ... yes, I worked 307 models, and I'm already tired of repeating that I worked on "X" models, and all in Brazil.
Here I see that my work is not being or has been recognized.
I have always worked for fun, and to which Brazil had buildings in airports, I worked 40 or more airports, but it is absurd to read that "someone worked" until now do not know who has done something for Brazil, please forget me, and from now on you work for Brazil.
Müller

Postby Catalanoic » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:00 pm

don't worry about my ignorance or lack of knowledge, nobody doubts your work. +300 models is a increible work difficult to achive (i made a half to compare). Maybe my words have been written improperly, but not wanting to disrespect. there're few 3d scenery modelers, so i encourage you and others to improve scenery, of course!
Catalanoic

Postby Müller » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:44 pm

As I mentioned above, please forget me and continues exalting, praising and blah, blah, blah, people who you think he or she should, but to me there is no more need.
Several Brazilian left this Forum and also to FlightGear, and Brazil is highly widespread FG simulator, but the Brazilian community FG prefer not to come to this Forum, they do not like here, and told me to I leave, not worth staying, just hassles. Some even told me, .. but because you still cooperate with the scenario? stop it, make custom airports and distribute among friends that will be more profitable and will not have to read certain things that are written in the Forum.
And I close my "illustrious" participation here!
Müller

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:17 pm

nobody is throwing out any member of the community (even those who do not speak English), if someone decides to leave the forum is a personal decision. Our motto is "Fly free!", remember! The catalans or catalan-language speakers, don't have any forum/site FG community page yet, like the brazilians (or maybe not? i don't know by sure), not important here but good to have (for beginners and kids, and a place to share in a common language), i don't know these people asking you to leave the forum, but are from xplane or MFS, or what?
you don't need to repeat that you made "X" models, there's a list for that. I work in FG for fun too. I encourage to improve the sim; aircraft, scenery, from all states/nations/organisations/people as possible, don't make borders.
PS: And please don't worry about misunderstandings
PS2: Sad about Gilberto! Another increible user with c172p, land textures and airport/runway textures, we need him!
Catalanoic

Postby Müller » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:31 pm

I will not start a clash here with you, and the people, friends who told me to I leave this question only up to me, and nobody else, and I do not have to give any statement to you or any participant this Forum.
What about misunderstandings, I'm not worried.
And I know what is good and bad for me, either here or in my personal life

PS:
FGBR group also does not come over to this Forum, I wonder why? by excessive praise that had not been the reason, certainly not, and because gsagostinho retired, because it has received much praise? sure it was also not
Müller

Postby Thorsten » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:17 pm

It looks a bit like a Filter bubble effect.

Of course it's more pleasant to chat with your local community, people you know and like and who share your opinion on things. In a sense, this forum is maximally unpleasant for everyone. Because it's the widest scope on which FG is discussed - there's all sorts of people here, from VA enthusiasts to developers.

And that can go either way.

If it goes bad, people who have so different background, ideas and interests may find out that they have nothing to really say to each other and waste much time in the process, leading to intense frustration on both sides.

However, if it goes well, people will discover different views that enrich their own perspective, and that will spark new ideas, the sum of which will be more than each party individually could bring to the table.

You'll miss out on this opportunity if you always stay with your local community. See - there are things you cannot do on your own. Since we're discussing the example - part of Gilberto's visual work is supported by custom-written GLSL shader code - which to my knowledge nobody in FGBR could have done. It needed this forum to get it done.

In a sense, it'd be more pleasant for all of us to just hang out with people who think like we do. I suspect we'd all lose out then.
Thorsten

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:31 pm

i'm with thorsten, a globalised community can be a problem for a lot of people not just for the language, maybe local communities receive better the works in the area involved, increasing the authors recognition between them, something that here lacks a little bit. A good example are the aprox. 300 wikipedia editions, thousands of users, each edition, unique! :=So more value, from Müller in Brazil, Vic in UK, and so on... Just an opinion.
Catalanoic

Next

Return to Scenery