Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:18 am

lomar wrote in Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:33 pm:is it possible to define the priority of the shapefiles on terragear?

I believe you can use the
Code: Select all
 --priorities-<file>
command in tg-construct to specify a file with the order of landclasses. You can then put all landclasses from a particular source (lets say osm_*) at a higher priority than others.
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby lomar » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 am

hi, folks!

so, i decided to release an update to my fernando de noronha custom scenery. It now has an updated airport layout. Now i just need to get rid of some holes on the ground that are being created during generation(any help with it will be much appreciated), in order to release a final version and see if i can upload it to terrasync.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/udkv173dkziy507/fernando+de+noroha+0.3.rar/file
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby lomar » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:20 am

hi, folks. i have some news.
So, yesterday i found this project called Mapbiomas Brasil, that has a 30mX30m landcover database for brazil.
https://mapbiomas.org/
it is much better than most of the IBGE data i have(100mX100m). So, i would like to use this data on my project.
they release their data undr the CC-CY-SA license. Is it compatible with GPL2? bc i would like my project to be released under GPL.
lomar

Postby lomar » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:32 am

i have another question:
i plan to set up a Github repository for my project. Is it better to have just one, big repository for all the tiles or to divide into small repositories for, say, different states or regions?
lomar

Postby ludomotico » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:46 am

lomar wrote in Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:20 am:they release their data undr the CC-CY-SA license. Is it compatible with GPL2? bc i would like my project to be released under GPL.

License are tricky, and compatibility depends on interpretation, version number and your country.

Consensus says that CC-BY-SA 4.0 is compatible with GPL 3.0. Notice the version numbers, they are important. The CC-BY-SA 3.0 is apparently not compatible with any GPL license due to a simple missing sentence about license stacking/upgrading. Version 4.0 finally included the upgrade clausule: "only "the last license applied" has to be followed".

Anyway, most of the time, this is how licenses are supposed to work in the USA. It is not clear if any of this applies to any other country in the world.

Licensing is very tricky, as you can see.
ludomotico

Postby montagdude » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:03 pm

lomar wrote in Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:32 am:i have another question:
i plan to set up a Github repository for my project. Is it better to have just one, big repository for all the tiles or to divide into small repositories for, say, different states or regions?

Generally it's not recommended to track big data files in the git repository itself. Personally I only put the scripts, text files, and other small files used to generate the scenery in the repository, and then when I'm ready to release it, I upload one or more archives with all the big output files that are needed to actually use the scenery.

Edit: by "upload" I mean click on the option to make a release, and then it will allow you to select files to upload.
montagdude

Postby lomar » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:30 am

Hi, i would like to make some updates about the project.

I think i am finally getting to grips with terragear and can make most of the things work fast and smooth. I feel like it will be very soon until i pass from test phase to the effective releases of the project.

I decided that instead of using GIT, i will use my MEGA account to upload the custom scenery, as it gives me 50GB of cloud storage, and i think it will be enough.

Now, the last thing that still needs to be decided are the sources. I'm having some difficulties with the Mapbiomas data, as it is only available in .tiff, and the process of converting to shapefile is creating very big files (up to 60K parts in a 0.5X0.5 square) that are impractical to use for the operations that are needed to prepare for scenery generation. if i cannot find a workaround, i will have to unfortunately discard this source.

last, i would like to show you the results of a test run i did this weekend around SBVT.

Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/i4dz39qf ... T.rar/file

About this test run:
1- I still have the problems of holes on the edges of some airports.
2- I have seen that maybe i would need to also work with materials.xml and maybe with textures to make the scenery look better. Is @gsagostinho still around? i think that he would be very helpful on this part,as he created the materials and textures for south america.

Anyway, i hope you enjoy the updates. I want to deliver a very good quality custom scenery for you as soon as possible.
lomar

Postby pb321 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:31 pm

@lomar, your scenery looks very good! The coastlines look excellent! Your scenery will be a nice contribution to the FG community.

I have also encountered the problem with "holes" or separations where the airport boundary meets the surrounding scenery and have not found a definitive solution to the problem. Would you mind sharing the solution or solutions you find?
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby lomar » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:05 pm

Started tweaking the materials

Very soon i will make other test runs on other areas, and then i will be ready to start the scenery packages.
lomar

Postby lomar » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 am

could someone help me?
i am trying to generate a scenery but TgConstruct refuses to run a specific shapefile. I tried to edit it on Qgis to fix an eventual error it could have, but i could not solve the problem, no matter what i do. This is not the first time it happens to me
what should i do in these cases?
lomar

Postby AzulProfundo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 pm

lomar wrote in Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 am:hi, folks!

so, i decided to release an update to my fernando de noronha custom scenery. It now has an updated airport layout. Now i just need to get rid of some holes on the ground that are being created during generation(any help with it will be much appreciated), in order to release a final version and see if i can upload it to terrasync.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/udkv173dkziy507/fernando+de+noroha+0.3.rar/file

Thanks for the custom scenery, I will give it a try!
I am currently starting to work with scenery development in FlightGear. For the time being, just with FGAirports and groundnets for AI Traffic. I hope we can exchange some tips in the (near) future. Giving that you are an experienced scenery maker in FlightGear. In the past (for me, a long time ago) I have created a few sceneries for Brazil, but for X-Plane. It was a totally different set of tools (except for WED).

Version: 2020.3.8

Postby vnts » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:23 am

Looks fantastic :mrgreen: Brazil has quite detailed regional definitions already so the landclass cover improvements should make it really nice.

lomar wrote in Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:30 am:2- I have seen that maybe i would need to also work with materials.xml and maybe with textures to make the scenery look better. Is @gsagostinho still around? i think that he would be very helpful on this part,as he created the materials and textures for south america.

gsagostinho said he was busy with his research work, but if you have any questions you can try PM-ing him on the forum :mrgreen: (he said he was happy to answer questions - if he remembers specifics ) .

There was a bit of work done by Erik to some of the Brazil materials, so make sure your FGData is new-ish before starting. 2020.3.8 contains a change to materials.xml - and there are some changes to north africa on next that don't affect Brazil. On next you can use ctrl+alt+click to see the name of the xml file as well as the landclasses, but this hasn't been ported to LTS I think - the latest next is broken for me.

There are a few people around who are familiar with the regional definitions these days, so you can try asking questions on the forum too - a new Brazil regional materials improvements thread would be a good place. If you point out what you want a landclass to look like (e.g. an instantsreetview location) and what it looks like currently maybe someone will know what effects/parameters or texture re-colouring to use to get that.

Since regional definitions improvements are low/no risk, they can be merged into a point release like recent changes.

I noticed just now that South America now has the issue with roof/wall colours not being correct for the region - and contrasting against the texture. The <building-texture> in Town/Suburban etc. landclasses controls the texture atlas for roofs & facades of smaller OSM2City and random buildings. Textures/buildings-caribbean.png has reddish and white colours, and it might be an improvement.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby pb321 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:44 pm

The <building-texture> in Town/Suburban etc. landclasses controls the texture atlas for roofs & facades of smaller OSM2City and random buildings.

@vnts, would you elaborate or would you point us to an explanation as to how town-buildings.xml can be changed to reflect the buildings within a region? Where are the textures read into osm2city structures and how is that done? What is involved?

Thank you in advance!
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby lomar » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:54 am

@AzulProfundo
I will be more than glad to share some tips. I am not the most experienced around, tough. I'm also interested in learning to make groundnets on FGAirports.
@vnts
the changes i would like to make initially have to do with the fact that gsagostinho has written the materials with the intentions to mask the poor landclass definitions in Vmap0, wich led to some discrepancies i.e. forests and scrubs having the same texture in the cerrado region, or putting a grass overlay over the forests in Rio de Janeiro, or everything being assigned as forests in the oceanic islands like Fernando de Noronha.
lomar

Postby vnts » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:47 am

pb321 wrote in Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:44 pm:
The <building-texture> in Town/Suburban etc. landclasses controls the texture atlas for roofs & facades of smaller OSM2City and random buildings.

@vnts, would you elaborate or would you point us to an explanation as to how town-buildings.xml can be changed to reflect the buildings within a region? Where are the textures read into osm2city structures and how is that done? What is involved?

In general it's easiest to use some sort of text file search application (that also displays surrounding lines) when dealing with the regional definitions system. That way it's easy to see which files landclasses are defined in, and which landlcass definitions in which files use certain textures etc. In Linux there are built in command-line tools etc - on Windows so far I tried using a GUI tool called astrogrep, and it seems to work well.

The regional definitions you want are in data/Materials/regions.

town-buildings.xml seems to contains some random objects definitions - which seem to be intended to be reused. It saves having to repeat typing those objects in a lot of definitions. The content of the town-buildings.xml file content can be inserted in another xml file when ever it needs to be done: <object-group include="Materials/base/town-buildings.xml"/>

For random buildings and small OSM2City buildings the two available texture atalses are Textures/buildings.png and buildings-caribbean.png. A search for where it's used: azores.xml, europe.xml, scandanavia.xml, sothern-europe.xml, unitedkindom.xml use buildings.png, while bermuda.xml, carribean-common.xml, hawaii.xml, and oceania.xml use buildings.caribbean.png.

They are used in:
<name>Town</name>
<name>SubUrban</name>
or
<name>BuiltUpCover</name>
<name>Urban</name>

It depends on what the landclass source defines as urban landlcasses as for that area.

There's a wiki page on random buildings, but it's outdated https://wiki.flightgear.org/Random_Buildings
I'm learning as I go along, and I updated the improving scenery table yesterday (OSM2City: Simple common buildings placed by OSM2City ,Random buildings) with some info https://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Impro ... f_interest

The building and lightmap definitions in the landclasses are like:

<building-texture>Textures/buildings-caribbean.png</building-texture>
<building-lightmap>Textures/buildings-caribbean-lightmap.png</building-lightmap>

The other building properties like floor sizes or height are documented in docs/README.materials - but you can copy them from Hawaii, Carribean, bermuda or some similar area.

It's also possible to create a new texture atlas if the existing ones don't match, by re-colouring one of the existing ones using the GIMP rotate colours tool.
lomar wrote in Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:54 am:@vnts
the changes i would like to make initially have to do with the fact that gsagostinho has written the materials with the intentions to mask the poor landclass definitions in Vmap0, wich led to some discrepancies i.e. forests and scrubs having the same texture in the cerrado region, or putting a grass overlay over the forests in Rio de Janeiro, or everything being assigned as forests in the oceanic islands like Fernando de Noronha.

Yeah, sometimes there are local landclass errors in source data. For example I recently checked the area around LOWW in another thread, and it had the wrong type of agriculture close to the airport.

A way to get around this is to create overrides of landclasses for certain subregions e.g. create a file called brazil-ws2-landlcass-corrections.xml and then create lots of local regions. This should be added after all the brazil overrides.

For oceanic islands off the coast, if other materials changes are also done, it's possible to create a new brazil-islands file or a brazil-fernando-de-noronha file.

If your current landclass source for Brazil has correct landclass mappings while WS2 doesn't, then you'd need to include a custom materials.xml file and landclases-corrections file in your custom scenery - as this can't be merged without breaking WS2 for people without the custom scenery.

Any improvements to lanclasses themselves that you do should be merged to FGData, so everyone will see them.

For WS3, the landcover improvements should be merged into the official scenery from the start (like with the USA and AU landcover improvements).

Kind regards
vnts

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery